• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Gift Guru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Gotta wait my turn for Durarara!!; that sticker shock just about killed me.

I only saw the first ep. of Eden thanks to the hype I'd heard/read of it, and while I enjoyed its set up and the dub performances I was turned off by the bizarre wang jokes. Never before in my life have I heard a man's joystick referred to as his "johnny." Further, how the policewoman "identified" him was just too wtf for me. I kept thinking, "wait-- what?! Is there a National Penis Registry I'm unaware of?"
From the sound of things, though, I'll have to find a way to give it another try.

Arakawa deterred me thanks to its generic-sounding premise, but again, that is likely one I'll revisit now.

Only just started Night Raid and while it's confusing and a bit slow in parts, the setting is very intriguing and the characters/dub is handled well.

I think the Johnny thing is a Japanese thing. At least I guess it is. In Tatami Galaxy the main character refers to his penis as his Johnny and I think I've seen it referred to the same names in other series as well though I can't recall any examples.

However, I do think the first episode does go a bit overboard with those jokes. I was re-watching it recently and my mum was in the living room with me, it was very embarrassing since I'd kept going on about how mature and clever the series was. I always forget the bad things Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of really surprised by that write-up, JesuOtaku, as I am by most of the negative reactions I've seen on how DRRR! ended. I'm a huge Baccano! fan myself, but I very much enjoyed DRRR's final third, and I thought the ending was pretty darn good. Maybe not quite as tight as Baccano's, but still good nonetheless. I'll agree that there was something of a shift in focus as the series went along, but I think that shift was actually in keeping with the very start of the series, and I don't think it was any sort of "derailment" of where the series was moving previously.

In a broader sense, I'm not entirely sure why the comparisons to Baccano! are so pervasive. Yes, the novel series was by the same author, and yes, the two series share certain stylistic similarities, but they're very much their own entities, and should be treated as such.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Swandog wrote:
I don't read a lot of online anime forums, so forgive me if this is a stupid noob question, but:

In the column you twice abbreviate The Right Stuf International as TSRI as opposed to TRSI. Is that deliberate? Is there some reason for the reversal?

Oops, didn't catch that typo; it's been fixed. Thanks!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Anime Newbie or the Non-Fan: Eden of the East - The Complete Series (Blu-Ray + DVD)

I've recommended the same handful of titles to anime newbies and/or coworkers who don't know much about anime all year long: Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Eden of the East. The first two are non-committal movies, but when it comes to TV series, you can't go wrong with Eden of the East.

Hey! That's pretty cool, as this so happened to be the anime that I ended up watching over netflix this past fall with one of my roommates, whose only anime experiences before-- at least, to my knowledge-- were some bits of the Toonami broadcast of Tenchi Muyo, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, and FMA Brotherhood. It was a fun watch with him... although admittedly, anything after episode 2 was completely new territory for me, so I felt compelled to exclaim aloud whenever it came to spoiler[the "Johnny-hunter" and the related castrations]. I'm also kinda surprised about EotE's "Newbie/Non-fan" classification in the first place, since it deals with some very Japanese stuff like the whole NEET subculture and the question of what Japan's place is in the 21st century (or something along those lines).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@Otaking09
Quote:
Tempted to listen to ANN Cast and relate to Zac's longing for those good 'ol days, eh?

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Anime catgrin + sweatdrop You got me. A few years ago, it was a pretty good time for anime and me. (By the way, I'm only 22). Nowadays, the new anime just seems stale to me. So yes, I'm longing for those good 'ol days. Oddly though, I don't listen to ANN Cast, it's too long.

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Mod Edit: Don't need to quote the entire post just to say "I don't care". Quoted text removed.]

As Clark Gable said "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damn"-that applies perfectly to this long pointless diatribe.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am a Baccano! fan who felt DRRR! squandered it's potential and early greatness by taking the dumbest route to its conclusion in the second half. Of all the possible stories to tell, three friends accidentally causing ruckus because they didn't talk to each other to clear up the misunderstanding when it shortly became obvious to all of them that doing so would resolve the situation was the worst.
kailegh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I was actually going to wait until my birthday to buy the Utena boxes, but I had NO idea the duelist ring would come as a bonus! Does anyone think they're still giving the rings away?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
kailegh wrote:
I was actually going to wait until my birthday to buy the Utena boxes, but I had NO idea the duelist ring would come as a bonus! Does anyone think they're still giving the rings away?

IIRC, they were only supposed to be a pre-order bonus for buying all three boxsets. Not sure if they have any left. Couldn't hurt to ask.
kailegh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
kailegh wrote:

IIRC, they were only supposed to be a pre-order bonus for buying all three boxsets. Not sure if they have any left. Couldn't hurt to ask.
Ah, thank you, I'll ask :3
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, shoot, there was a little something that I wanted to post in regards to that roommate that I mentioned earlier... I had originally meant to post this with my original post, but I kinda forgot about it. It's kind of a tangent to this topic really.... but, I suppose you can consider it less-tangential if you think of me talking about "giving" a viewing of a certain anime, hah.

Anyway, I'm kinda pondering what I'd like to do with him next semester as far as anime viewing is concerned (he said he'd be perfectly cool with seeing another one after EotE without me prompting him. It's just that... there hasn't been much time to see anymore with him during that semester.) I definitely want it to be Evangelion related, but... just what version? (And if it comes down to versions, what takes priority first?) I got the NGE Platinum set this past week, so I could see that with him.... albeit without a copy or even high-quality download of "End of Evangelion" on hand (though I feel there's still some good merit in the original series' ending, even in all its GAINAXing on a shoestring budget). OR, I could go the shorter and prettier route of showing him the two new Rebuild movies I already have on Blu-Ray... albeit, that series is currently more incomplete than the original series itself, and I really don't know how comprehensible the first movie would be to a newcomer. Hmm... do you guys have any suggestions? Am I underestimating my friend's comprehension ability for the semi-rushed events of the first Rebuild movie? Is it more important that he sees all the build-up and development towards the Asuka series-end mind-f*** and beyond? If you don't mind, I'd love to see what any of you might think.

Oh! Yeah, I just thought of something more relevant to the overall topic: the second Rebuild movie could've landed on the list!

Crap, this post turned out longer than I wanted it to be...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Okay. I've held off ranting on this as much as I could when I see Durarara discussed on the ANN forums, but I don't think I can hold back no longer, so here goes~!

By all means don't hold back, its unhealthy to keep it bottled up too much as you are liable to explode.

JesuOtaku wrote:
For me personally, it had nothing to do with the high levels of gore or frenetic pace compared to DRRR's tamer content and meandering pace. (As for psychotic characters? They both had heaps of those, NO difference there! Anime hyper )

Good, because the feedback I got from some friends and some casual glances at forums (no, I didn't do an in depth study) it was the lack of gore and tamer pace that put some people off (I guess it was the Baccano expectations for some). As far as psychotic characters go I think some people enjoyed the over the top dancing in the blood psychos of Baccano more than the sinister and creepy psychos of DRRR. So different psychos, different enjoyment for some.

JesuOtaku wrote:
...The problem with Durarara is that is has a terrific premise, wonderful characters, is arguably MUCH more mature and insightful than Baccano and then it just gives up...COMPLETELY...Everything they promised, everything the series was leading up to: completely shredded in favor of a "well life sure is lifey and it's great to be young in Ikebukuro!" nothing conclusion.

...Now yes, best case scenario you're sorta kinda okay with that last third, but me personally and some other people I talked to? It was so off-center, such a letdown, such a hand-wavingly awful "ending" that it retroactively *ruined* Durarara for me, and with that as a possibility? Not worth the risk, I'd say...

I'll tell you somethings I specifically didn't like about the show and yes its all connected to the second half where it seems to downshift into a different series. First I get a bit tired of junior high/high school characters. Why? Because its usually the same stuff, same conflicts and its not interesting. Second, I totally hate and I really mean hate the whole spoiler[misunderstanding] ploy that we often get in manga and animation. Not only is it tiresome, but it also at times stretches believability and you can see it coming a mile away.

Now, I've seen some people get worked up because there was no resolution to the situation concerning spoiler[Celty's head]. For me personally? It didn't bother me that much. I wasn't 100% happy, but I found it to be sufficiently handled. Yea, the ending was a bit of a let down for me too, but nowhere near the point where I thought it was awful or that it "ruined" the show for me. There's plenty of weak or bad anime endings out there which really rile me up (Don't get me started on NGE), but overall I enjoyed the ride so much with this show that the end did not "ruin" it for me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
Exactly who in Durarara would you say is 'sinister'?

Saika? Maybe. But we never really get to know much about her. But that's pretty much the only possible choice right?

With Baccano, you can easily say that Vino, Szilard, Ladd, and even Czeslaw can in their own ways be viewed as 'sinister'.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Saika? Maybe. But we never really get to know much about her. But that's pretty much the only possible choice right?

Uh, aren't you forgetting the most obvious one? Izaya was sinister as hell and I personally thought Shingen and Namie were pretty sketchy too.

Other than focusing on the three most boring characters I didn't have any particular problem with Durarara!!'s ending. Sure, for a final story arc they could have done better and there are plenty more interesting stories and characters in the series, but since it wasn't supposed to be some kinda massive series ending finale anyway it didn't bother me too much. Still an Excellent show IMHO.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Exactly who in Durarara would you say is 'sinister'?

With Baccano, you can easily say that Vino, Szilard, Ladd, and even Czeslaw can in their own ways be viewed as 'sinister'.

Perhaps sinister was not the appropriate word to demonstrate a differentiation between both shows psychos and maladjusted. As far as who is sinister and creepy in DRRR!!

Izaya: spoiler[treats people like game pieces, enjoys manipulating people, sees people's struggles and the situations he puts them in as entertainment, has no problem manipulating a girl into a situation where she might commit suicide or be rescued by Celty just to see what might happen, lots more stuff.] So yea calculating, and evil but not presented as an exaggerated or over the top psycho.
Namie Yagiri: spoiler[Orders kidnappings and seems to be involved with human experiments.] Kinda sinister, but not over the top. spoiler[Seems to have a brother complex ]. Creepy.
Shingen: spoiler[Has no problem dissecting people without anesthesia or having his young child join in the dissection. He would probably call it father-son quality time.] Uh, not a good thing. Though at times used for comic relief, he does have twisted and sinister qualities.
Seiji Yagiri: spoiler[Obsessed and in love with a head in a jar. Feels a bit like Necrophilia. Might kill to possess the head in jar]. Not what I would call mentally healthy and kinda creepy.
Shinra: spoiler[Yes, many people will say "aww, he accepts Celty for who she is." But let's not forget he seems to be in love with a headless woman that has black smoke oozing out of where her head should be and might be a monster from legend. A woman he helped dissect as a child]. I don't know, maybe love is insanity of a sorts but it can also be a bit creepy.

As far as Baccano, you are right several of those characters could be seen as sinister in their own ways, but also some are presented in an over the top or gore filled manner:

Ladd Russo: spoiler[Loves seeing blood spill, acts childish at times, will act in a spontaneous fashion at times (usually to the detriment of some other individual), kills his uncle who got too comfortable around Ladd.]
Graham: spoiler[Wrench boy. Another over the top psycho like Ladd that likes to break things and people. No wonder he bonds and looks up to Ladd.]
Vino: spoiler[Our friendly neighborhood assassin. Kills and tears people apart on the train. No compunction about teaching Czeslaw (a child, though immortal) about pain. I think if I recall the anime correctly he was coated with blood from head to toe? Obviously not a totally restrained personality].

My point was that the tone and actions of one group characters tended to be different and not the same as the other group. Furthermore, people might prefer one set and their actions over the other group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4