• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Gift Guru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Very good suggestions. I do believe Gravitation would be a good suggestion for the over-the-top yaoi fangirl of a friend or girl/boyfriend. This is an anime column, but usually manga goes best with fujoshi fans.

As for the person suggesting Evangelion 2.0, why make them watch part of a sequel of a remake? Then again, I have my own beef with Evangelion as a whole and Gainax beating their cash cow to death. Eden of the East and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are excellent choices. Especially for that reluctant friend of yours that refuses to watch anime. Eden of the East reminds me of all these action/drama shows and movies that keep appearing in America. I think with my parents' facisnation with the TV drama, '24,' they would really enjoy Eden of the East.

Ghibli films are what I usually suggest to friends with way younger siblings or friends who have kids (it's kinda hard to keep your kid out of the way if you're trying watch something like Go Nagai...). One shot stories that can hold a kid's interest and enough warm-hearted substance for the older audience attendee.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I think I would for the girls' night out. 5 Centimeters Per Second is another good one.

If they would have released Yakitate Japan over here as an anime, that would be great for the foodie or the person who really hates Shonen. Soul Eater is also good for the person who really hates shonen as well. Enticing characters and enough zany plot to keep you going for several episodes. The art style itself is good for those who are nostalgic over American cartoons from the 90s and early 2000s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4