• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do about a bootlegger?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
That's because SM and EA are both Taiwanesse companies. The copyright laws are .. lax isn't the word.. non-existent? over there. Taiwan has not signed the Berne Convention, which is bascially the only thing that protects international copyrights aside from local law. Since that is the case, nothing really can be done about it. The only thing that could be done is stopping the imports at customs, which will never happen.

This information is no longer true.

Taiwan joined the WTO a few years back and as a result they now, in theory, protect International copyrights that were established after a certain date (I can not recall the date, it's within the last 6 years).

The current problem in Taiwan is merely one of enforcement of the laws, not the laws themselves.

ALthough I have not verified this for a fact yet myself, I have been informed that SM no longer produces bootlegs of anime soundtracks released in Japan after the above mentionned date.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

This information is no longer true.

Taiwan joined the WTO a few years back and as a result they now, in theory, protect International copyrights that were established after a certain date (I can not recall the date, it's within the last 6 years).

The current problem in Taiwan is merely one of enforcement of the laws, not the laws themselves.

ALthough I have not verified this for a fact yet myself, I have been informed that SM no longer produces bootlegs of anime soundtracks released in Japan after the above mentionned date.

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer, and said enforcement of copyright laws is lax.

I myself also don't know if they are still producing bootlegs of recent anime soundtracks, but certainly their boots are still fairly easy to find whether new or old. As long as they are floating around out there, it will continue to take sales away from legal releases.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

The date Taiwan joined WTO was 01/01/2002. I couldn't find a solid source for the starting date of international copyrights protection, but it might be referring to the 1996 WIPO Copyright Treaty, discussed here.

Tempest wrote:

Agreed. That is basically the most important reason for every problems in Taiwan. Mad Have you been there, Tempest? Wink

Tempest wrote:

That results to what I have told Kazuki-san: decreasing SM records in retail markets in Taiwan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4