Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CG Starship Troopers Anime's Ships Previewed


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
otakunomike



Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So I'm gonna nerd out and point out that Alesia was a city in Gaul, now France, not Eastern Europe. As disappointed as I am they're using that terrible 1997 movie for inspiration instead of the original book, it is nice to see them somewhat maintaining the naming scheme for the ships. In the book the small ships are named after famous soldiers, while the large cruisers are named after famous battles so I hope they just accidentally flipped them here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
That ship doesn't look wide enough to fit a revolving launch system.

I guess I shouldn't expect this to even hold a candle to the book. If you're not going to keep things at least a little bit faithful then why not just make a brand-new show? Name recognition aside, that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chunx



Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 75
Location: Lion City High Command
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh that 1997 film may be terrible, but it was terribly fun to watch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The 1997 movie is, in fact, both brilliantly satirical and hilarious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The 1997 movie is, in fact, both brilliantly satirical and hilarious.


But it wasn't Starship Troopers. Where's the realistic depiction of military life (as much as anything fictional can be at any rate)? Where's the powered armour? Where's the infamous philosophical discussions on the nature of man? Heck, where's the quality writing? Unless the scene where the asteroid grazes the ship was a parody too...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
The 1997 movie is, in fact, both brilliantly satirical and hilarious.


But it wasn't Starship Troopers.


I'm not disputing that. However, the fact that it "wasn't Starship Troopers" doesn't make it a bad movie. It is in fact a great movie regardless of how faithful or unfaithful it is to the source material.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm just annoyed that it was given the Starship Troopers name when it only shared superficial similarities to the book. As a satirical piece it is fine, with the fascist-invoking trenchcoats and the "Would you like to know more?" propaganda pieces. But they didn't need to latch onto the Starship Troopers name to make a satirical piece about fascism. Heinlein would roll over in his grave if he knew how badly the movie shat all over the book (and not in a satirical way, just in a "let's eff up everything that made the book great and ruin its reputation").

Now Spaceballs on the other hand, that was funny.


Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1654
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
If it wasn't for the movie I probably never would have read the book or Heinlein in general. Loved Robocop and Total Recall, but I never really got into Verhoeven's Starship Troopers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Beltane70



Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 2819
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Funny thing is that the movie supposedly didn't start out as a Starship Troopers film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13987
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
How many anime deviated from its source material and still turned out good? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
How many anime deviated from its source material and still turned out good? Laughing


Lots. Probably. Usagi Drop is a recent example and a notable one at that.

But I'd be willing to bet that many more Anime are inferior to their Manga or Light Novel predecessors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Lordziba



Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Although, I do not want to sound like a nag, but what about the CGI Roughneck Chronicles, which I liked very much (up until the tech improved).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lots. Probably. Usagi Drop is a recent example and a notable one at that.

But I'd be willing to bet that many more Anime are inferior to their Manga or Light Novel predecessors.


To be fair though, that's going to be primarily because a lot of times when anime deviates from the source material it isn't really them deviating by choice but rather, going off into filler or shit made up basically on the fly because they've run out of source material (or occasionally run out of money). If we're talking about cases where they wilfully opted to go in a different direction then I don't know that there's actually more bad than good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
If we're talking about cases where they wilfully opted to go in a different direction then I don't know that there's actually more bad than good.


I take your point. To me, the first Fullmetal Alchemist is far better than FMA: Brotherhood, not only in the later stages of their respective stories but even in the chunk of the story the two shared. Can't believe I didn't think of that one while typing up my previous post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
otakunomike



Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the movie, is that while it is something of a satire of war, it is absolutely horribly acted. I've tried rewatching it recenetly and I am convinced you could find an elementary school pageant group who can emote better than the actors. Plus I'm more sympathetic to the books original message anyway, but hey.

edit: aha, I got the analogy I was looking for now. The Starship Troopers movie is a lot like Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino. Il Teatrino is based on an amazing manga but is utterly unwatchable due to the fact its atrociously executed. In both cases you can almost see the good movie/series brimming under the surface trying to get out, if only the director and actors would get out of the way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group