• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Garden, NHK to End in Boxes, Not Single DVDs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holybell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Kinda sucks for people who bought all the singles - but since I almost never buy singles anymore, this is great news for me... a little pricey in the end having to buy two boxed sets instead of one, but I can live with that.

Ditto to what kokuryu said. I gave up buying single DVDs a long time ago (maybe a couple of years ago?) and I don't regret the decision that I made.

Last edited by holybell on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
yuricon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
They've basically decided to punish the most supportive fans. I bet quite a few think they'll just stick to their fansubs for the last volume.

I suggest writing Funimation and letting them know you disagree.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
wow..I thought I had the wrong anime but I didn't...

Can someone please explain to me why ADV is airing Red Garden on Anime on Demand in my area right this very minute? It's like episodes 8-13 or something...
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
Maybe they're going to take a loss on these series regardless and even releasing the boxsets is just a way to not drown in red completely, but really...BOTH with 1 dvd left to go?

A valid point, and I can see that decision being made for Red Garden... but wasn't Welcome to the NHK doing well? I thought there was all kinds of hype around it at the time... :/
NHK was almost canceled around disc four according to one of the voice actors. He claims the saving grace for the show was the deal with CR in May.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dare say a decent number of people have just been kicked in the pants. Must suck. Seriously though, I'd be ticked if I had only 1 volume to go. Not be cocky or anything of the sort (admittedly I don't think that would be the right word anyway), but this is generally why I only buy thinpacks/boxsets/etc. Actually, 99% of the reason is because they're cheaper. My sympathy goes out to those that got screwed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So much for ADV sucking. They wouldn't try to rip you off twice on shows they could easily make money off of as singles. Anyway, I hope this doesn't happen with Wallflower.

wal:

Quote:
but it just goes to show you that it's a bad idea to buy single DVDs, even if it does make the companies more money.

No, it goes to show that faceless corporations like FUNi don't care about the fans who supported ADV.

stardust:
Quote:
I'm really surprised by this. I think with Geneon releases that Funimation picked up they were going to release single DVDs in addition to boxsets, if DVDs had already been released by Geneon. Even though I don't own any of either series, I'm kind of disappointed by Funimation about this.

FUNimation thinks Geneon fans mean more than ADV fans, even though Hellsing Ultimate didn't exactly save Geneon.

Dmon:
Quote:
Nice one Funimation, you sure do know how to take advantage of a situation.

I figured people would realize that after those crappy DBZ "re-masters". But we'll get our payback when the movie bombs.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
kinda sucks for those who followed the singles, but I think this is good indicator of the current market trend about anime. I never actually got around to getting these series, and honestly, I wonder whether it was such a good idea to bring them over. I can't say whether the series itself was good or bad, but the fact of the matter is that I don't think any of these series were very popular here in America. Either that, or Funimation realizes that it can make more money selling off the whole set, since generally speaking, the number of sales per volumes decreases from the first to last volume. I think Funimation recognizes this and has decided to appeal to people who haven't seen it yet and are on the edge. Let's face it, if ADV were making money on these licenses, then the original rights holder wouldn't have transferred the rights. Clearly, Funimation is making the right moves here, and the fact they rescued all the licenses from ADV and Geneon, in my opinion, allows them some maneuvering room in terms of how they re-release it. I think the anime business is going through some massive changes right now in terms of distribution and licenses, so everyone had better just grit their teeth and bear with it. You gotta have the dark in order to see the light.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
All this shuffling of licenses is worrisome, and I can't imagine how much this must suck for people buying up these series (I had no real interest in either). It is usually best to buy the box sets because they're cheaper.

For me the smartest policy for an anime company would be to release the box set first, and then do "collector's edition" DVDs one at a time to snag the hard-core fans, letting the rest just get the cheaper version faster. I think sales might actually go up if they did that; I'm no business expert, but I know I'd buy more anime if they did it that way.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm really pissed. I was waiting for the last volume of Red Garden to come out for so long.

I bought the singles thinking at the time that since this series isn't so popular, they would not have gotten thinpacked or a boxset. Then when I heard FUNi got the rights, I hoped that they would release the last volume and be done with it.

So now I have to rush out to sell my DVD singles (which aren't worth buying without the last volume coming out), just so I can see the end of the series.

I know this is a great marketing technique, though it could backfire because of angry fans not waiting to blow that much money for one final DVD. Because serious fans will go out and buy two thinpacks for $45 each (bestbuy.com quote).

I might buy them, but I'm not sure. I feel bad for those in my situation with Red Garden and NHK. This was a great kick in the pants for those who didn't watch the fansubs and not buy the DVDs. This is not the first time I've been pissed at FUNimation.

So I wonder if something like this will cause a backlash against FUNi and people will go back to watching fansubs, or just stick with other companies for anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
LAME!

Seriously how hard is it to take a single DVD from a upcoming boxset, put it in a DVD case, put a cover on it (I don't care about liner notes) and put it on shelves?

I also was getting Welcome to the NHK, and was lucky enough to find a copy of the 5th volume on DVD (and I know there are still a couple of places nearby that have that in stock).

Might have to make a trip to Half-Price books soon...

Any way we can ask Funimation for the single DVDs?

I appreciate that they are trying to "beat" the fansubbers by releasing seasons/sets of upcoming releases to make the DVDs seem a good buy. Of course unless you have seen the shows, or have heard good things about them, then why would you buy a full season/set?
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too upset about this, because I never managed to get volumes 5 of NHK and Red Garden, and this means I'll be able to get the last two volumes cheaper than if I bought them individually. However, if they don't include the last three volumes in individual DVD cases, I will be severely annoyed. I want my artboxes filled >_>
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Any way we can ask Funimation for the single DVDs?

I posted an email address for them and their response on the first page, along with my hoped for outcome.

EDIT: missed a word

Last edited by kyokun703 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Espeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep I hate this now having to pay more money to just finish this series really annoys me and with the decreasing exchange rate it's gonna be much more expensive. Makes me very frustrated.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
-edited again because I doubted my literacy-

So the 'part2' box will be $60 MSRP?

That's only 10 dollars less than the entire Shana box set!

Why so expensive? $120 for 24 episodes is like, 3-4 years ago. I thought FUNi had gotten better pricing schemes lately?

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
LAME!

Seriously how hard is it to take a single DVD from a upcoming boxset, put it in a DVD case, put a cover on it (I don't care about liner notes) and put it on shelves?

Probably impossible? Bestbuy and the like will probably not take the singles for these titles anymore. It isn't like FUNi is going to put 1-5 back on the shelves either.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11