• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Garden, NHK to End in Boxes, Not Single DVDs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
If FUNimation was really nice about it, they'd offer a trade program for it.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If FUNimation was really nice about it, they'd offer a trade program for it.

Yes, they would have to be extremely nice, seeing as how the singles releases weren't theirs and they're basically making up for another companies screw-ups.

GATSU wrote:
I figured people would realize that after those crappy DBZ "re-masters". But we'll get our payback when the movie bombs.

Yes, since FUNimation has practically no stake in the movie, when it bombs it'll surely kill them. Oh, revenge is so sweet.

GATSU wrote:
They wouldn't try to rip you off twice on shows they could easily make money off of as singles.

...the whole reason that these series as being released in box-set only format is because they sold poorly during the singles release. But I guess ADV was too busy stripping re-releasing of extras to notice. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
well i guess this is good news for me because i was planning on buying the box set for nhk when it got released... (im starting to lose room on my anime shelf)
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
wow..I thought I had the wrong anime but I didn't...

Can someone please explain to me why ADV is airing Red Garden on Anime on Demand in my area right this very minute? It's like episodes 8-13 or something...

They're not airing Red Garden where I live. They aired up to episode 16 back in July then stopped.
I recorded Red Garden and Welcome to the NHK off of Anime Network so buying the boxsets won't be too big a loss. I'll only be out a few bucks for the episodes I watched on the pay per view channel.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
Man, I don't know if I even want to keep buying singles. I dread something like this happening to, like, Lucky Star.

Ugh so frustrating.

I don't see Bandai Entertainment of all companies ever going out of business. I suppose stranger things have happened, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
braves:
Quote:
Yes, since FUNimation has practically no stake in the movie, when it bombs it'll surely kill them.

If it bombs, it'll definitely hurt their sales and stock value, since DBZ is their bread-and-butter. Look what happened to Warner Bros.' ability to get non-Harry Potter franchise movies off the ground after Batman and Robin, Wild, Wild West, and Battlefield Earth. They had to be bought out by Eh-Oh-Hell shortly after those disasters.

Quote:

...the whole reason that these series as being released in box-set only format is because they sold poorly during the singles release. But I guess ADV was too busy stripping re-releasing of extras to notice.

If they sold poorly, then why license them in the first place? Just to hurt ADV? If that's the case, then FUNimation deserves to go under.
Oh, and the FUNi release of Nerima is also stripped of extras...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
wow..I thought I had the wrong anime but I didn't...

Can someone please explain to me why ADV is airing Red Garden on Anime on Demand in my area right this very minute? It's like episodes 8-13 or something...

They're not airing Red Garden where I live. They aired up to episode 16 back in July then stopped.
I recorded Red Garden and Welcome to the NHK off of Anime Network so buying the boxsets won't be too big a loss. I'll only be out a few bucks for the episodes I watched on the pay per view channel.
Well, In Omaha, Nebraska via Cox Communication...they ARE airing Red Garden and HAVE been since Spring (they aired it all the way through once already). Is this even legal?

and wow, yours is pay-per-view? Mine is 6 dollars a month with updates every week :\ . I wouldn't even actually watch it if it was pay-per-view. I don't believe in that scam.

Last edited by Kougeru on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
that's a really stupid idea. most people that were watching most likely bought the first five, so it kills the fanbase the shows may have already built up.
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I was planning to buy NHK before ADV got in trouble, but never got around to it.

I feel sorry for those of you who have the first five singles of those series. It makes me wonder why they did a vol 6 single for Kanon (which I am collecting), and not for these shows.

I hope they change their minds and at least do something like an etailer-only release of a vol 6 single for these shows.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If it bombs, it'll definitely hurt their sales and stock value, since DBZ is their bread-and-butter.

If we were back 5 years ago, then yeah. But FUNi has a bunch of titles that they can milk from in the future (Devil May Cry, FMA, OP, etc.)

GATSU wrote:
If they sold poorly, then why license them in the first place? Just to hurt ADV? If that's the case, then FUNimation deserves to go under.

Um, all that happened was that Sojitz was unhappy with ADV's sales. They took the titles away from ADV and gave them to FUNi. Are you seriously trying to say that FUNimaion deserves to go under just because they took advantage of ADV's lackluster business practices?

GATSU wrote:
Oh, and the FUNi release of Nerima is also stripped of extras...

I assume you mean the Negima! box set. No, it wasn't. Razz

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/XNErDHwN-KYypqIYFe/browse/item/76582/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
I was planning to buy NHK before ADV got in trouble, but never got around to it.

I feel sorry for those of you who have the first five singles of those series. It makes me wonder why they did a vol 6 single for Kanon (which I am collecting), and not for these shows.

I hope they change their minds and at least do something like an etailer-only release of a vol 6 single for these shows.

Obviously, Kanon is one of the ADV best seller along with DMC. That's why ADV is seeking after Clannad.
frgracy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
i' m dissapointed by this, seeing that i have both pumpkin scissors and welcome to the nhk almost complete. i just hope that funimation doesn't do that to the series the wallflower, which they also got from ADV, but i hardly doubt it.
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Those are "Suggested Retail Prices". You know they will be lots less.

This is not ADV jacking up the prices of a re-release of an older series thin-pack ($70 for Final Fantasy Unlimited?).

At least I hope not, and you know it will probably be those 3 DVD thin sets like they did with School Rumble.
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I will probably break down and buy NHK, but I simply don't care enough about Pumpkin Scissors or Red Garden to spend that much money on the end. I probably would if they were singles, or if by some miracle of sales someplace they hit the price point of a single, but until then, I probably won't even remember enough about what happened to care that I don't know how it ended.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Brilliant marketing decision by Funimation. Morally....tottaly wrong, but still brilliant from a financial point of view. People who REALLY wanted the last dvds of those shows will buy the boxset. Nice one Funimation, you sure do know how to take advantage of a situation.

Business-wise, maybe smart... but tacky as all get-out. 3 series that lack 1 volume to complete, & FUNi distributes the last half of each to hook the completists. Online auctions exist, but people have to set everything up to sell 2 or so volumes once they buy the half-series box to complete their set?! Tacky!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11