• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ga-Rei-Zero (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaegar_T

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei-Zero (TV)

I just watched the first episode of "Ga-rei-ZERO" in veoh, and it had nothing to do with the Ga-rei manga. I mean that there is a different theme, different characters, different story...

So I'm wondering, is it actually an adaptation from the manga? or maybe they tricked us at veoh? Rolling Eyes

[EDIT: Added Encyclopedia link and entry to Discussions Index. -TK]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote
I heard it's going to be far different from the manga. Now that I checked out episode 1, we got ourselves a ragtag special ops team that exterminate ghosts (and obviously, this team does much better than the regular military Surprised ). And then, spoiler[at the end of the episode the ragtag team ALL GOT KILLED!!! That's right, those supposed protagonists found in the website got wiped out by a much higher-level spirit that take form of a swordswoman. ]

Now I'm curious of where this is heading! Shocked
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm really wondering how things will go. Dream sequence maybe?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I'm really wondering how things will go. Dream sequence maybe?

I'm hoping for something more interesting than that, but I fear its likely to do that or something similar.

Most of the episode didn't really hold my interest, but holy crap, that ending sure grabbed it. The blatant censorship was highly annoying though.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
yeah the action scenes in general managed to keep my attention but the dialogue was pretty boring

another show with those butterflies though.
shouteha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just watched the first episode of "Ga-rei-ZERO" in veoh, and it had nothing to do with the Ga-rei manga. I mean that there is a different theme, different characters, different story...

So I'm wondering, is it actually an adaptation from the manga? or maybe they tricked us at veoh? Rolling Eyes

Well, the characters do look similar, BUT in my opinion, are not the main character. Their name aren't even the same and for those who read the manga, the first episode is most likely spoiler[ showing the past when Yomi betrayed and killed the organization then it will lead up to Kagura and Kensuke [yomi arc] ].

So yeah, it does have relevant to the manga if my view is correct.
zeth006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Never saw the anime, but after saying "What is going on here?!" at the ending, I went back to the anime summary on animenews and figured the same thing. I'm now mildly interested in this anime now that I'm down to watching the same old dry Naruto, Bleach, and getting a refresher through Gundam 00 and One Piece.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Eh, first episode was pretty mediocre. The story just doesn't grab you. It's formulaic, tastefully so, but still formulaic, and was really boring. The dialogue was convoluted and didn't make all that much sense; take out the subs and essentially you still understand nearly as much as you do without them. Due to the nature of the ending and purely the fact that first episodes suck, especially in these types of series where they purposefully don't tell you what the hell is going on in the first episode and explain it later, I think this one still has a lot of potential to be really good later on. Still, judging by first episode alone, it wasn't impressive at all, even with the ending, which only spoiler[kills off characters you never cared about in the first place.]

Other things:

- My god, the soundtrack is excellent! Didn't expect this from the MagiPoka composer, but it has just the right blend of epic and pleasant listening and was one of my motivating factors to actually finish the episode.
- Led Zeppelin? It'd actually be a cool name for the thing if it weren't such a blatantly obvious reference.
- Natsuki kind of reminded me of Mai HiME's Natsuki Kuga in terms of looks, voice, and name (Natsuki Kasuga vs. Natsuki Kuga). Probably just coincidence here, but was interesting nonetheless.
Frankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one who saw that coming? Lack of character importance/development, meaningful dialogue, and plot. I could write a better opener on acid! They should have introduced/involved a single character from the group, expanded on his background and used an emotional tie to grab the audience, then have survive the brutal who know what...and move on...then again, who knows whats to come? On the plus side though, OST = yay.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
I thought led zeppelin was just some stupid answer that meant like "I don't want to give you a straight answer." Anime dazed
spoiler[Sure I didn't care about any of the characters but it was still strange] The music was great though. I thought the character designs were pretty standard though like "I've seen this before".It also makes me wonder if no one can come up with different realistic characters I mean if it's not some over the top fanserivce or moe show and it's not fantasy then everyone has to look like these people? I guess they run out of ideas when they have to stay inside the natural hair/eye color spectrum Rolling Eyes
bullmaster107884

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
I think the way they will probably play this show out is going to be the way Gun Grave and berserker's first episode was like the way they show a later episode first then how that episode came to be
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Eh, first episode was pretty mediocre. The story just doesn't grab you. It's formulaic, tastefully so, but still formulaic, and was really boring. The dialogue was convoluted and didn't make all that much sense; take out the subs and essentially you still understand nearly as much as you do without them. Due to the nature of the ending and purely the fact that first episodes suck, especially in these types of series where they purposefully don't tell you what the hell is going on in the first episode and explain it later, I think this one still has a lot of potential to be really good later on. Still, judging by first episode alone, it wasn't impressive at all, even with the ending, which only spoiler[kills off characters you never cared about in the first place.]

I pretty much agree with all this except the ending was impressive purely for what it did. I'm willing to give the series another chance just to see how they explain that. Hopefully they will make me care about the characters and story in the process.

Otherwise, I agree, the episode was pretty boring. It was combination of trying to do too much and trying too hard, I think. They had some nice music that just seemed like too much for what was actually happening. The plan to take down the creature could have been interesting... if we cared about the characters, had any idea what was going on, or it was built up decently.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Impressive bait and switch, the website now reveals who the real main characters are.

http://www.ga-rei.jp/top.html
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
I wanted to take a look at the second episode before I start posting here. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
The first episode was pretty thrilling and filled with jaw-dropping action. The introduction of the characters in the first episode gives of an appropriate quick-first impression of a tactical operations team without hesitation. Even though, putting me in the action of what going on where things are already heating up, the intro still gives some kind of description of the characters roles by observation. However, with the intense music and action-filled choreography I couldn't help getting off my seat and yell, "That was awesome!," and then the episode caught me off-guard by spoiler[killing off the characters that work so hard pleasing me throughout the whole 30 minutes (approximation)].
With the first episode in my mind burning with the question, "What just happened?" I waited until I saw the second episode of Gai-Rei-Zero.
The second gives the recap of the spoiler[WTF moment] in the first episode, and again, spoiler[introduces a new batch of characters], which has a similar fashion but gives a whole new method of getting-things-done. This episode is a bit less intense than the first, because this series needs to give some room for the plot for the main characters in the series to go ahead and move things along. Even though, there is still some holes that needs to be filled, I think this anime has potential. I'll see what happens next.
furizaa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Just saw episode 3, and while it was heart warming, I do not have a great liking for spoiler[flashback episodes] of any kind of show. I think I'll give this show one more episode to redeem itself, or else unfortunately, I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3