• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20th Century Boys' Urasawa to Launch Billy Bat Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
OH NOEZ! A superhero comic! Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
And what exactly is wrong with that? As if shonen heroes or sentai heros are automatically better? Anyway, I'm guessing you're just joking around, so I won't make a big issue.

Anyway, to think Urasawa is taking on 40s American comics with a definite riff on Batman, though looking by way of Felix the Cat or Mickey Mouse.. Wow. I rather don't know what to make of this. A lost American hero from golden age comics? Interesting. I know Marvel has done an idea like this with The Sentry. Though even more so I'm thinking of the Pulitzer Prize winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.

Also interesting that he would switch publishing houses.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Yet another title from Morning that needs to be published in English.

This does look very intriguing. That character work looks to be an excellent homage to the cartooning style of the 1940's (that shading on the bat wings could be straight out of a Golden Age comic), but the backgrounds look like typical Urasawa work. I'm fascinated with what this series could be.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
IIIIIIInteresting. Well, if Urasawa can turn Astro Boy into some dark nitty-gritty awesome seinen story, I'm sure he can do wonders for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1