• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Theatrical Trailer Pushed to Later in 2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Strategic Move, or Fox trying to downplay the fact they have failed royally in making the film?

We shall see...we shall see...
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Fox trying to distance itself from the leaked footage is simply ridiculous. We've seen it, too late, damage's been done.

Watch them to reuse most of the same footage in their trailer anyway.

Last edited by Proman on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
So the bs and stone-walling continues. You just know someone who worked at FOX leaked the trailer, and that the negative reactions have forced them to come up with a new spin on it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, nothing was said as to what was official or not, so you have to play by their rules until said known fact should become reality. Leakage seems unlikely, which is probably why all those sites that did have the trailer kept coming up 404 or 403.

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You just know someone who worked at FOX leaked the trailer.

No, we don't know that. And no, it is not "the" theatrical trailer, despite all the bloggers who jumped the gun by thinking that it is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
testor: Sorry, buddy, but they said a teaser was going to be with Max Payne; and now, the fact that they changed their minds means that was the theatrical trailer. This re-writing of history is what you call studio PR. And why would they not leak this sucker out, if they bothered letting some random fan site know of their intentions with the film? All they had to do is issue a cease-and-desist, and be done with it. Oh, they know exactly what they're doing, which is trying to soften the damage, just like with LXG, where they tried to shorten the title.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is definitely election season for sure.

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: Sorry, buddy, but they said a teaser was going to be with Max Payne; and now, the fact that they changed their minds means that was the theatrical trailer. This re-writing of history is what you call studio PR. And why would they not leak this sucker out, if they bothered letting some random fan site know of their intentions with the film? All they had to do is issue a cease-and-desist, and be done with it. Oh, they know exactly what they're doing, which is trying to soften the damage, just like with LXG, where they tried to shorten the title.

No, they did not say that the Dragonball trailer would definitely be with Max Payne. According to IGN back in August:

"A studio source informed IGN that, while Oct. 17 is Fox's "target date," nothing is guaranteed until the special effects and requisite approvals are in place."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/902/902953p1.html

The re-writing of history is in the claims (like the rampant speculation above) that Fox set the October trailer date in stone, when it never did, even unofficially.

Fox also emphasized that a video captured at a licensing expo two weeks earlier is not a theatrical trailer, but a licensing video. Because, you know, licensing videos appear at...licensing expos, and theatrical trailers appear in....theaters. It is because of rampant speculation like what is written above that a cease-and-desist order is not enough.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
"A studio source informed IGN that, while Oct. 17 is Fox's "target date," nothing is guaranteed until the special effects and requisite approvals are in place."

And yet the set photos and interviews they were releasing up until this point suggested that a trailer was guaranteed.

Quote:
The re-writing of history is in the claims (like the rampant speculation above) that Fox set the October trailer date in stone, when it never did, even unofficially.

Well, if you want to go that far, they also were supposed to have the film out by August.

Quote:
Fox also emphasized that a video captured at a licensing expo two weeks earlier is not a theatrical trailer, but a licensing video. Because, you know, licensing videos appear at...licensing expos, and theatrical trailers appear in....theaters.

If it was a licensing video, wouldn't it have some, you know, licensing stuff-like toys and or a general summary of the series, and not any actual footage-in it? Rolling Eyes

Also, you still haven't answered my question regarding why they would personally send out a statement to a fan site, when they could easily just tell them to cease and desist.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

And yet the set photos and interviews they were releasing up until this point suggested that a trailer was guaranteed.

Please demonstrate how a photo or an interview proves that an October trailer date was guaranteed.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, if you want to go that far, they also were supposed to have the film out by August.

Now, that was an official change of plans, no question. However, the trailer date was neither official nor set in stone. You're confusing the two.

Quote:
Quote:
Fox also emphasized that a video captured at a licensing expo two weeks earlier is not a theatrical trailer, but a licensing video. Because, you know, licensing videos appear at...licensing expos, and theatrical trailers appear in....theaters.

If it was a licensing video, wouldn't it have some, you know, licensing stuff-like toys and or a general summary of the series, and not any actual footage-in it? Rolling Eyes

This is a video of the work in progress for potential licensers--it can't show licensed items when its purpose is get licenses. Did you not notice the shots of the licensing people doing their jobs?

Quote:
Also, you still haven't answered my question regarding why they would personally send out a statement to a fan site, when they could easily just tell them to cease and desist.

Uh, as the last sentence in my last reply said:

"It is because of rampant speculation like what is written above that a cease-and-desist order is not enough."
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Just the teaser trailer was enough to make it clear that this will be one of the worst movies of 2009.

Dragonball is not a series that can make a segue into live action well. Other series, yes, but this one, no. It needs to be animated.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this would have been much better animated, but that would have never made the theatrical cut. Plus, there hasn't been an all-animated theatrical film since 2003's BROTHER BEAR in the U.S.

Hollywood knows DBZ is a cash cow, and will do anything to milk it. But as far as how the film will turn out? We'll just have to see.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I certainly hope that whatever we saw on the promo vid were not the big highlights of the picture. It seemed so bad... The worst being probably the awful clichéed-over-dramatic-trailer-narrating-man-voice... This film is going to be... something horrifying.
Gage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball is just one of those series that should not be adapted into live-action, simply put. It'd be hard to match it as a live-action film. I'll probably still stop by the movie theater and watch it-just for personal interest. Doubt I'll enjoy it! Waste of money? Perhaps.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
You just know someone who worked at FOX leaked the trailer.

No, we don't know that. And no, it is not "the" theatrical trailer, despite all the bloggers who jumped the gun by thinking that it is.

Stop testor, Gatsu's reasoning strikes me as compleatly valid in this case. I can tell you from experience that companies engage in these kinds of leakage/cover-ups all the time.

They may not have been the ones who leaked it, but they certainly planned on using it as a teaser trailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3