• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - TP Attack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
The vibe I'm getting here goes something like "Well, you're not in the industry and I seriously doubt you have any grasp of economics or marketing, so what do you know about anything? You're wrong, and now I'm going to exaggerate what you just said so it looks totally ridiculous... [does exactly that]."

Instead of, "Actually, you're wrong, and here's why... [insert valid and polite response here]."

Sadly, I'm gonna have to somewhat agree with what you're saying. Though not everyone does that, I've seen it done a bit too often.

While freedom of opinion does exist, I think the freedom to disagree doesn't need to come alongside blatent insults toward someone's intelligence.

People should be allowed to respond in disagreement, but I think there should be an ideal of respect in these types of responces. Remember, not everyone who gets into the industry is instantly more knowledgible than those who are not. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the freedom to disagree doesn't need to come alongside blatant insults toward someone's intelligence

I wouldn’t say that people often blatantly insult each other hear. Admittedly some members respond with a harsh tone but that’s often necessary. The problem hear is people making sweeping statements which they are not in a position to make and have no evidence to support. If somebody’s going to pretend they know what they are talking about when in actual fact they haven’t got a clue they should expect harsh criticism.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
While freedom of opinion does exist, I think the freedom to disagree doesn't need to come alongside blatent insults toward someone's intelligence.

People should be allowed to respond in disagreement, but I think there should be an ideal of respect in these types of responces. Remember, not everyone who gets into the industry is instantly more knowledgible than those who are not. =/

I think you're probably right about the respect; there's no reason to be at each other's throats over something like this.

But when you make a strong statement around here (proclaiming Tokyopop's eventual demise counts as one), you're expected to back it up with more than a hunch or a vibe. Who knows, the company may be plunging into this without any regard for their long-term financial success. But I really doubt it.

Of course not everyone who's in the industry knows more about the market than everybody who doesn't work for a manga company. Why would anyone think that? But we're not talking about overall knowledge; we're talking about sales predictions, right? And if we're talking about sales predictions, I'd say sales figures are a pretty critical part of any argument. If you work at Tokyopop, you probably have access to some sales figures. I don't, and I'm betting most of you don't, so in that area, Tpop management is obviously more knowledgable about their sales than we are.

We know there's a lot of bad manga out there. If you talk to the companes and look at what's being reported, it seems a lot of that stuff is selling anyways. I don't think Tokyopop or Viz or anybody is destroying the manga industry by releasing a lot of titles. Sure, if sales start to drop, we'll probably see fewer titles on the shelves. That's common sense. And it's not like these guys are locked into releasing x number of titles a month. They'll adjust as the market changes.

Does releasing some good and some bad manga do more damage to the industry than simply distributing a few quality titles? I guess that's debatable. I certainly don't think it does, but if you want to try to back it up, feel free.

That's the key: back it up. We have no interest in hearing everybody's crazy theories about what they "sense" the industry is doing. Discussing your personal feelings is one thing; assuming it somehow applies to the whole darn industry is quite another. Please don't make that leap. It doesn't accomplish anything at all.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
The vibe I'm getting here goes something like "Well, you're not in the industry and I seriously doubt you have any grasp of economics or marketing, so what do you know about anything? You're wrong, and now I'm going to exaggerate what you just said so it looks totally ridiculous... [does exactly that]."

Instead of, "Actually, you're wrong, and here's why... [insert valid and polite response here]."

That's not what I said, and if that's how it came out, I apologize. Like I said, the point of my original post was to say that random speculation about the eventual demise of Company X, or the sales figures of Title Y were unfounded because, while everyone's opinions are worth something, the Tokyopop marketing execs are the people with the actual sales figures. If they had a title that was selling 100 copies, they would probably stop selling it.

I personally think their Cine-manga line is absolutely stupid, but I don't have access to their sales figures. Therefore, the fact that they keep pumping out that stuff must mean that someone buys it. I say to my friends all the time, "man, who buys all that crap?" but I know that the execs probably know what they're doing by producing that stuff. Why? Because I'm just a college student that doesn't like Simple Life, much less Simple Life cinemanga, and they're marketing execs with real sales figures and annual market reports.

I'm not claiming to know more than you do. In fact, I can tell you flat out that I don't know *anything* about Tokyopop sales figures. I'm merely pointing out that it's a little erroneous to say that Tokyopop is right or wrong in doing something when none of us have the same facts sitting in front of us that they do.

As for exagerrating a comment and making it sound ridiculous, it's not a direct insult towards you. It's just a hyperbole to illustrate my point better. All of my comments in this thread so far have been good-natured and calm so if you think that I am not being polite, then I apologize.

Yes, company higher-ups make mistakes all the time, and just because they're in a position of more power doesn't mean that they know more than forum users. However, they DO have something that we don't, and it's a spreadsheet sitting in front of them saying, "Here are the sales figures for our titles this month. Here's how much money is in our budget. Here's how much money we're making, and here's how much we're losing." That's all I was trying to say.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, doesn't that go without saying? Of course they're the only ones with actual sales figures. But they can't predict the future any better or worse than you or I can. All I was doing was offering a prediction and an opinion; I wasn't saying anything like "Oh, I bet [insert title here] isn't selling at all; Tokyopop's profit must be going down the toilet." I can make predictions and have opinions with or without sales figures.

I do not take personal offense to anything you or Zac or anybody else has said in this thread, but I'd say that some things could have been worded better as to not sound so demeaning or critical.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But they can't predict the future any better or worse than you or I can.

Well in actual fact they can, after all its their job. They are trained to predict what will sell well and what want. That’s not to say they are always right but its more likely that they will correctly predict trends in the market than an everyday anime fan. Of course that’s not to say you are not allowed to make predictions, nobodies saying that.

Quote:
but I'd say that some things could have been worded better as to not sound so demeaning or critical.

I really cant see what the problem is. You gave an opinion which their deemed to be ignorant as you had no evidence to back your claim up. Their wording wasn't particularly harsh either. When you make statement and don't provide any evidence to back it up expect criticism and deal with it. Don't take it so personally and make claims about how oppressive the forum staff are. Oh and Zac doesn't actually work for ANN anymore.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Well in actual fact they can, after all its their job. They are trained to predict what will sell well and what want. That’s not to say they are always right but its more likely that they will correctly predict trends in the market than an everyday anime fan.

... In your opinion. That's not actual fact.
Mr Mania wrote:
Don't take it so personally and make claims about how oppressive the forum staff are.

Vekou wrote:
I do not take personal offense to anything you or Zac or anybody else has said in this thread...

I don't recall using the word oppressive, either.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Enough. If you have issues with ANN's staff, send us a private message. If you want to talk about Liann's column, PM a staff member, and we'll unlock the thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4