• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
I have to take some issue with Casey and Carlo's reviews of Tytania, because it seems like they would reviewed the first episode of Legend of the Galactic Heroes similarly if it were just premiering, and to be fair, that show was the finest anime I (and countless others) have ever seen. It also didn't get very interesting until a few episodes in.

I thought the first episode was decent, with the sort of strategizing you don't see very often in programs with any large-scale combat these days. I think it has definite potential. If it's just a LoGH retread, I could see myself be somewhat disappointed, but it least it'll be better than the other shows this season. And you can't go wrong with Kamina's VA as one of the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to thank Casey for reviewing Raoh Gaiden's first ep. I wasn't certain anyone was going to preview this show and as a long time FotNS fan, I'd have been disappointed. Hope it gets better as the season progresses.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

And with regard to her Kannagi 2 review, I did not really see the "potential for permanent derailment" that she did. I thought it was as innocuously enjoyable as the first. Not great, not bad.

I can agree with her on how we learn next to nothin about Tsugumi, but that's it...
If I were to review this episode, it would probably be word for word what Carlo wrote. I loved how we saw so many sides of the two leads as well as their interactions with eachother. And I am glad that they did the expected 'falling out' scene this early in the series and resolved it (to an extent anyways, since Jin makes it clear that he is still mad) within the same episode instead of dragging it out over multiple episodes. And yes, I found this episode to be particularly hilarious. As far as the 'boy meets/teams up with girl' shows of this season go, Kannagi and Toradora! seem to be the ones to go with. Wink
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Ahh, I knew picking the most misleading screencap possible for Tytania would be good for something. Laughing

Well, it increased the number of people watching the first episode by at least one. I wonder how many seconds screen-time she gets...?
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
As far as the 'boy meets/teams up with girl' shows of this season go, Kannagi and Toradora! seem to be the ones to go with. Wink

Depends if you count Index as one of those shows as well, then it's definitely worth watching as well Wink After two episodes Kannagi and Magical Index are still my favorites for this season - i.e. the ones where I am really looking forward to the next episode. There are many, many other good shows though, which I'll watch once they're completed I guess.

Even if Tytania only manages to be near to the quality of Legend of Galactic Hereos (the first episode was quite similar), it'll still be a really great show. A series like this needs a few episodes to "get going" and the first episode was a nice introduction to the different sides and characters.

Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Ahh, I knew picking the most misleading screencap possible for Tytania would be good for something. Laughing

Well, it increased the number of people watching the first episode by at least one. I wonder how many seconds screen-time she gets...?

Lydia is one of the main characters listed on the official page, so I suppose she'll play an important part in the story as well.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Two 5s and a 4.5 for Moryo no Hako?! Wow. I already had my anime viewing list filled up this season with a bunch of good shows, but seems like there's still one more surprise left to discover.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Mouryou no Hako was creepy yet utterly gorgeous! This is probably one of my favorite first episode of the fall season (excluding sequel series, of course).
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've added Kuroshitsuji, Myoro no Hako and Kurozuka to my viewing list. I actually just started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes about two weeks ago (16 eps in, I adore it), so when more episodes of Tytania come out, I'll give it a shot too.

Does anyone know where I can find the season preview guides of the past? Some of those series are probably complete by now and I might want to check them out too.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I just bungled together a few links.
Maybe some of them are wrong, maybe some of them are missing... but here's a handful of links. Smile

Spring 2008
Fall 2008

Spring 2007
Fall 2007

Spring 2006
Fall 2006

Spring 2005
Fall 2005

Spring 2004
Summer 2004

Spring 2003
Fall 2003

Spring 2002
Fall 2002

Spring 2001
Ardlien

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Casey's review of Mouryou no Hako contains what I would consider a pretty big spoiler (at least for that one episode). I tend to read the reviews before looking further into these titles, and to have something like this running through my mind while I watched the episode kind of ruined the impact I think others have been getting from it.

spoiler[I'm referring to the line "then Kanako throws herself in front of a train"]
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the above poster, and that's precisely why I came here to complain. At this rate, I'm not going to read Casey's reviews at all unless she stops putting bloody spoilers in them at least 70% of the time. None of the other reviewers have spoilt the contents of episodes for me except for her, and it was pretty blatant with Mouryou no Hako. -_-
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I just bungled together a few links.
Maybe some of them are wrong, maybe some of them are missing... but here's a handful of links. Smile

They all seemed to work, thanks. So, were they in features (the one place I of course, did not look) the whole time then?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Depends if you count Index as one of those shows as well, then it's definitely worth watching as well

Ah yes, Index too, though I personally lean more towards the other two. But they're each only on ep 2, so that could change down the line Wink .

kadian1364 wrote:
Two 5s and a 4.5 for Moryo no Hako?! Wow. I already had my anime viewing list filled up this season with a bunch of good shows, but seems like there's still one more surprise left to discover.

Yeah seriously, I thought for sure that the better shows of this season had already begun, looks like I may have been wrong...

I just watched Shikabane Hime-Aka ep 2 earlier; wow... this looks like its going to be one hell of an action series, and it shows that it'll actually have depth, too! I love Gainax's action scenes; I've never known them to skimp on things with still frames and whatnot, and Hime is no exception. And they had to go with scary little kids?!?! Evil kids are the one thing that frightens me more than anything! Between that and playing Dead Space, I think I'll need a few new pairs of underwear Shocked ...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I agree with the above poster, and that's precisely why I came here to complain. At this rate, I'm not going to read Casey's reviews at all unless she stops putting bloody spoilers in them at least 70% of the time. None of the other reviewers have spoilt the contents of episodes for me except for her, and it was pretty blatant with Mouryou no Hako. -_-

Seriously. Casey really needs stop including spoilers in her reviews, or at least provide a warning thereof. It's so darn annoying. Fortunately I'd already seen the first episode of Moryo no Hako prior to reading Casey's review, but that won't always be the case.

Besides, Hako's first episode is certainly great, but it's not as great as Casey, Carlo and Carl have made it out to be (Theron, on the other hand, appears to have the right idea). In my opinion, the best series of the season so far is still Kurozuka, although after the hilarious 3rd episode, Toradora! isn't too far behind.

Still waiting for a quality fansub group to release ef - a tale of melodies though ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
In general, I'm very satisfied with this season's preview guide and it helped me a lot in my decision making as to which shows I want to check out and which shows I should just pass up altogether. However, one thing that kind of bothers me is the misspelling of titles. It wasn't just one or two, but the entire article was littered with misspelled titles everywhere. Some of them have been fixed, but I don't think they should have been put out in the first place.

Maybe a quick check that all the titles are spelled right next time before being put up so that "Mouryou no Hako" doesn't become "Mouryo to Haku".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16