• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: University of Texas Article on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Waste of plastic? Now you're just being silly. If anything, there is an over abundance of plastic in the world, and it can easily be manufactored.

Where did you get your sources on that? Let me get the equation straight for plastics today: Oil from Middle East= plastics used for DVDs. When you take away the oil, where's the plastic?

Anyways, I find it interesting that a University is starting to offer classes on anime. Reminds me of when they started to use the Simpsons to teach and when they taught how to make video games. I'm sure it'll grow as anime grows. Personally, I believe most anime is not worth looking at academically (I honestly think that most of itit, like American TV, is crap). But there's some that's worth looking at that represents either the growth of anime and manga historially, as well as its structural and artistic development.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
C_Brightshadow wrote:
Anyways, I find it interesting that a University is starting to offer classes on anime.

Actually, there have been academic courses on Anime at University for several years now. Ms. Napier has been teaching her class for several years now.

If you look through our archives or use the search feature, you'll find many articles on the topic.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Maybe you could email them and tell them they are promoting bootlegs.

Email link from bottom of page:
utopa@www.utexas.edu

Well, hopefully she won't get too many 1 liner e-mails, because if she does she probably won't read the ones like this:

Quote:
Hi Ms. Gerrow,

I would like to commend you on your excellent article, "An Anime Explosion." I found it to be very informative for the uninitiated, yet interesting nonetheless to read for those, like myself, that are already well informed on the topic.

One thing I would like to point out though, if it hasn't already been pointed out, is that several, if not all, of the DVDs you have pictured are illegal bootlegs. Much like it affects other areas of the entertainment industry, bootlegging is a serious concern for the anime industry. However, unlike the mainstream industry, bootlegging is especially widespread when it comes to imported entertainment industries. This is because bootleggers have an opportunity to proliferate while there is a gap between the demands of a small but demanding fan base and the economic realities of licensing.

You wrote a great article, but unfortunately you also provided free publicity for a store that is selling illegal, pirated copies of anime.

For more information on how to recognize bootleg anime products, you should take a look at the Pirate Anime FAQ (http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html ), unquestionably the best source of information on the topic.

Regards,

Christopher Macdonald
Editor-in-Chief
Anime News Network
<snip>

About Anime News Network (ANN)
<snip>
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Quote:
I'm defending them because it's not right to say that all of them have bad subtitles, bad video, bad audio and such. People with the accusations probably bought a bootleg with the off chance of the quality being bad.

Yes of course, its so wrong to insult filthy, stinking, parasitic criminals.

Quote:
Waste of plastic? Now you're just being silly. If anything, there is an over abundance of plastic in the world, and it can easily be manufactored.

I really hope that was a joke

Hehehe.....

Allz I gotta say is......SHE MENTIONED MY BELOVED MIYU!!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt they're going to do anything or even care about the photos. They were taken at a popular Boba Tea hang-out near campus.
racooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
It might not hurt to send a message to Dr. Napier (snapier [at] mail.utexas.edu), letting her know that associating a picture of bootlegged DVDs with her story could definitely hurt her reputation. Especially if she's a tenured professor, it shouldn't take more than a polite request from her for them to change or remove the picture. She may not even realize that the DVDs pictured are questionable at best and illegal at worst.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
I got this back from Dr. Napier from my own email:

Quote:
Thank you for your message. The DVD's in question are not mine but belong to the store where the photo shoot occurred. I will pass on your information to the store and to the person who wrote the article.

I doubt that the store gives a crap, but who knows.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Quote:
Thank you for your message. The DVD's in question are not mine but belong to the store where the photo shoot occurred. I will pass on your information to the store and to the person who wrote the article.

You know...at least she replied to your message and said she'll pass the information on to the store.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:57 am Reply with quote
Its kind of dissappointing. I tried to work my way around their website to find this class and actually take a look at the summary and possibly even find a courwe syllabus...unfortunately....the website doesn't seem too friendly in this regard.

!!!! I'm sooo jealous!!!! Anime hyper*

Although....I kind of imagine a class like that might get annoying...*reads through all the posts in this topic*...
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Quote:

I can't help but say this....Its so uncommon for anime to get such good publicity that we should be giving her kudos for the work she has done. Instead we sit here and complain that the picture taken was of a bootleg. TOTALLY looking over the fact that she was speaking VERY fondly of anime and manga. I hope you thanked her for all the work she has contributed to the anime/manga community before you told her she did a bad thing with the photo of the bootleg. If not, maybe I should...........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
Its kind of dissappointing. I tried to work my way around their website to find this class and actually take a look at the summary and possibly even find a courwe syllabus...unfortunately....the website doesn't seem too friendly in this regard.

It doesn't look like the UTA website has been updated with course descriptions for Fall '04 yet. But the class is Asian Studies 372 - "The World of Japanese Animation." A sample syllabus (from the Fall 2001 term) is available at Brian Ruh's AnimeResearch.com page (Brian was the TA that year).

A comprehensive list of recent college classes on anime and manga is available here, so, *especially* if you live near a major university, you might want to check the course offerings of their Asian Studies department for next term :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Quote:

Even so, I wonder if they will change the pictures in the article here at some point, considering they still have the ones with bootlegs in them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Even so, I wonder if they will change the pictures in the article here at some point, considering they still have the ones with bootlegs in them.

I don't see why they'd bother. There's really no point in taking more pictures, and most people wouldn't even notice anyway. I didn't look that closely at them.
Zeler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
Although....I kind of imagine a class like that might get annoying...*reads through all the posts in this topic*...

MIGHT get annoying? There's an entire week devoted to Evangelion!
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zeler"]
Dilandau wrote:

MIGHT get annoying? There's an entire week devoted to Evangelion!

Not necessarily *watching* Evangelion. And there *are* tests and papers, and "OMG!!! I LUV EVA", expanded to five pages, is *not* going to get a you a passing grade. (...whereas a discussion of where Evangelion falls compared to other 20th-century eschatological fictions and how it is influenced by them, ...might)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3