• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: University of Texas Article on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
It doesn't look like the UTA website has been updated with course descriptions for Fall '04 yet.

All fall courses are listed, there just isn't one this semester (and hasn't been one since last fall).
ranmafan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
Since Im not sure anyone here has taken the class, I thought I would come in and give my opinions. I've had the chance to take two of Napier's classes at UT, including her anime course in the Fall 2002. Her class was always interesting, fun, and brought up alot of things in anime that I never saw or knew before. This class, which took a more serious, theoretical approach, brought a more consice understanding of the entire anime genre to me. As for the idea that a week of evangelion would be annoying, I think its unfair to say that without knowing how much time was really devoted. The class was tought on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for a hour and fifteen minutes. While each week had a theme, such as a week for Evangelion, we never fully had enough time to go over all the topics in as much detail as planned. Plus with oral presentations and such, even the planned week of Evangelion was cut short I remember.

Its a great course and Prof. Napier is a excellant proffessor. Im glad to see her work is getting more and more recongition each day. Her class brought lots of discussion and ideas that you normally dont find when you talk about anime with your friends. I wish everyone who was interested could take her course. It was one of the best I took, and helped me in my own interests and studies in Japanese pop culture.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quote
Here's another one that was published today:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Jun-14-Mon-2004/news/24054917.html

Not as long or as detailed as the U of T article though.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It's no surprise that anime is attracting academic attention. It's an entertainment phenomenon that deserves the same serious study as has been given to other entertainment genres and media, ranging from vaudeville to television. In the past, the Japanese authors and producers of manga/anime were amazed that their stuff had appeal outside of Japan but now they depend on it. This would be a fascinating class to take. I'd bet she never has students skip her class. (^_*)
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well I been into anime for a while and I never noticed the pics. I was there for the article, glanced at them once and that was it. I find it weird that some folk are picking at something so trivial, when on the other hand they are down loading the latest fansub episode of Naruto. This screams of double standards.

Personally I wouldn't buy bootlegs, but I have gotten stuff from BT myself so I'm a little guilty too, I'm sure they're others like me, even if it's not for profit (What I get is to enjoy smething to see if I like, then buy the official dvds).

Onto the good professor. I think it's great that she can teach classes in her hobby. I hear some of you say these type of classes arent new, but I'm yet to see anything of this sort in the u.k. You folk in the u.s don't know how lucky you are. I live for the day I don't have to explain what I'm reading or watching. That day will come, it's just a matter of time. Good luck to the professor.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kaworu5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Well I been into anime for a while and I never noticed the pics. I was there for the article, glanced at them once and that was it. I find it weird that some folk are picking at something so trivial...

Excuse me, but bootlegs are very serious and do negatively affect sales of anime and anime companies.

Onizuka666 wrote:
...when on the other hand they are down loading the latest fansub episode of Naruto. This screams of double standards.

What? Let's break it down.
Bootlegs = Illegal
Fansubs of Naruto, an unlicensed show in America = Legal

The difference is clear.

As a follow up, the pictures of the bootleg DVDs have thankfully been removed from the article. Win one for justice.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
kaworu5 wrote:
What? Let's break it down.
Bootlegs = Illegal
Fansubs of Naruto, an unlicensed show in America = Legal

The difference is clear.

Fansubs, no matter the show, are illegal. Video piracy is video piracy. Fansubbing is only let be for the most part because it's a practice that's been around almost as long as anime's been in North America, and many of the people working in companies like ADV & AnimEigo got their start with it. Its usefulness as a barometer of what companies "should license next" has been greatly diminished (though I won't say that service is rendered completely moot), and many fansubbers are becoming more of a nuisance in not removing licensed titles from their distribution lists.

An illegal practice left alive almost solely due to some sense of "tradition" is still illegal. Not condemning it (I myself download fansubs, I won't bother trying to claim I'm some paragon of virtue here), but there's no escaping the fact that doing it puts you on the other end of the law.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think you are missing Onizuka666's point. They are trying to reprimand the fact that nearly the entire bulk of this thread has been nothing but nit picking the article, the professor, and the others because of a (probably inadvertant) picture of a bootleg, COMPLETLY overlooking the subject of the article. It was meant to shed some light on the work this woman has dedicated her life to and I for one think we should all be appreciative...not sitting here moaning and complaining because she's "promoting fansubbing" when it's true....everyone (just about) has partook in some sort of fansubbing. Just get over it, already!

I sincerely hope this woman does not read this thread because I honestly think it's dreadful the way ya'll have been acting. It's over. Done. Move on....

Flame away......

Last edited by xxmiyuxx on Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Good job Tempest(and anyone else that emailed).

They took it down.

P.S. FYI the link on the article goes to the 'Current Feature'. Which at the time of this post is titled Will Foreign Policy Win the Vote?

So you might want to edit it to go to the link above...for archive purposes.
ranmafan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I also find it sad to see so many people nit picking Prof Napier on this. Having taken her classes and talking to her in the past, I know she wouldnt support the bootleging of anime. And from seeing her responce posted here about the picture taken from a local video store, Im not suprised to see that bootlegs were photographed there. Almost all of the video rental stores surrounding the UT campus are full of bootleg videos and DVDs, including lots of anime ones. Most of the time when I would walk in I would find in the new rental section the bootleg versions of anime just released officially in the US. Sadly I dont think these stores will stop at all, since it seems that these videos/dvds are usually rented and all, and probably make these stores a nice profit.

Prof Napier I should point out in her class had this topic, mainly through discussions on the fansub culture, brought up during the semester I took the class. Interestingly, most of the comments by the students were in the positive for fansubs, and a few raised the morality issue of even bootlegs of shows that have never made it here in the US. Although many of the arguments, such as the idea that the Japanese companies supported fansubs, were just made up by them and had no basis in fact.

I think its very unfortunate that the article had a picture of bootlegs on them, but I know Prof. Napier supports the anime industry, and not bootlegs. Its dissapointing that this issue of bootlegs is associated with her cause someone took a pic of bootlegs for the article from a outside source. Her work should not be tainted because of this one picture.
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ranmafan wrote:
Interestingly, most of the comments by the students were in the positive for fansubs, and a few raised the morality issue of even bootlegs of shows that have never made it here in the US. Although many of the arguments, such as the idea that the Japanese companies supported fansubs, were just made up by them and had no basis in fact.

For the sole basis of making corrections...in NO WAY condoning the verbal banter back and forth in regards to her involvement in the "bootleg scandal"....

Moralistically, Legally, and Ethically fansubs should not be done. But they are overlooked by the government especially when it comes to titles that have not been licensed in that country. Any reputable fansubber, in my opinion, would discontinue selling said anime once licensed.

But it wasn't the Japanese companies who support fansubs...its the American ones. Although I cannot specify each and every case, but a case in point would be Anime Nation's "Risky Safety". They worked closely with the woman who translated the fansub when conducting their own translations. I know that from the mouth of John (i don't know his last name) who made a point of this at last year's Anime Nation panel at Otakon. The Japanese companies would have no reason to support fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
ranmafan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
Not to get in a moral argument over fansubs, but I think what I said was not understood. The point I was trying to make was that in our class when the discussion came up, someone made this point which he said was fact that Japanese companies and directors in Japan suported and liked fansubs. The person wasnt making a comment about American companies supporting them. I actually personally spoke up immediatly and pointed out the example of the staff on the Ghost In The Shell TV series saying online for people to stop fansubbing the show as a example that his idea they supported it was wrong.

But your right, I've seen American companies work with fansubers in the past on their translations. Of course this isnt a situation where American companies are supporting fansubing persay, but more like going to someone whos already done some work on it and well getting their help.

Anyway, im just stating what happened in the class when it came up. Not what I believe. It was interesting though to hear many peoples opinions of it that had been formed by misguided "facts" that they had come up with.

But yeah the argument is going way out of the way of the original topic. Sorry if Im helping in that. I just want to make sure people arent getting a misguided view of Prof. Napier's work from one picture. she's a supporter of the anime industry, not bootlegs.
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
yeah thats what it looks like except for akira. I have to say I hope this class isn't supported by federal/state funding which it being at this school it somewhat is. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quote
animaniac wrote:
yeah thats what it looks like except for akira. I have to say I hope this class isn't supported by federal/state funding which it being at this school it somewhat is. Sad

Why don't you try reading the rest of the thread?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3