• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Francisco Chronicle Article on Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I you read the part where they say that American-made manga can still be considered manga, they give a good example with the cars. Cars started in the US but soon cars like the TOyota became big here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I must say it's rather nice to know that at least some people in the industry don't consider scanlations a threat.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I like to see this sort of arguement presented to the RIAA as an example of how to treat fans, and see that the same can work for music if they let it. It's a good thing where any industry is in touch with there customers needs like with anime, manga and games. Music still has so much to learn.

I love the idea of manga because there is so much to read and discover, and I'm glad that the industry understand we all have different needs and tries to cater for them. Dictating and restricting choice like the music industry has done for so long is what kills sales, and that's why they are now trying to fight their own customers. Not good for business, and until RIAA concede defeat free mp3s will continue regardless of what they think or who they sue. America is only one part of the world, not every nation can afford such luxuries that most take or granted. So long as there are rich and poor people in the world, there will be free music etc.

I love to read scanalations, faves at the mo include Gantz, Jisatsu Circle and Midori no Hibi. I will still buy all of these in book form if they are released. It's just ironic that an industry over 100 years old, needs to be shown how to do business by a young and growing U.S manga industry. Just wish for the day they see sense, and stop crying wolf. You let a customer take a car for a test drive and they decide after if they want to buy it or not, the same is happening in anime (with fan subs and test drive dvds), manga (with scanalations) and (demo)games, so why should online music be any different??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit apprehensive about reading it, since it was at SFGate, but, fortunately, it wasn't written by Mark Morford, so there's no weird, drug-induced, non-sequiturs. (Yes, he openly admits to being under the influence when he writes sometimes.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The problem with creating the argument to the RIAA is that scanlations are very different from both fansubs or MP3's... scanlations are such that you can't really turn them back into book format and carry them around. It's not practical and that's why they work incredibly well.

With Mp3's it's easy to create cd's... and with costs dropping, making DVD's from fansubs is relatively easy as well. Those both can functionally replace both commercial cd's and DVD's. They are used in the same way and format. The same is not true for scanlations, so it is legitamately a different argument. While I don't care for MPAA or RIAA practices as a whole, there is no reason to try and submit to them such a flawed argument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:10 am Reply with quote
You can dump scanalations onto a video enabled media player and read them off the hard drive, such as the one available at www.archos.com. It's an option some will try no doubt as they will with anime, once media players become the norm.

I just drew similarities between the current scanalations and fansub stuff as an example. I know both industries are different, all I am saying is RIAA mp3 arguement is lame and they could learn a thing or two from the anime and manga industries. Like that sometimes giving stuff away for free is not as bad as they make out. RIAA never tell the public that CD sales were dipping long before mp3s became standard on computers, and the people believing them are being lied to by he media, and are not questioning things.

I'm glad I have the choice to sample different manga and anime with prejudice or persecution, until they are available to buy. I'll support the anime and manga industries, more so when there's stuff I really want to read and buy, the same extends to music and films.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote
It all comes down to how you like to read your books. Digitally from you desk in front of a computer sceen, or curled up cozey in a chair somewhere.
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Part of the magic with manga is that it's in book format. Part of the enjoyment is that you can take it anywhere with you and read it at a whim (like in class to lessen the pain of bad teachers). The same can not be said of scanlations on the computer.

Also, I believe the article forgot to mention another factor in manga sales, the prices. I remember when almost every single manga book was at least 15 dollars. Anyone remembers when Ranma was the biggest manga series in America... and each book cost so much Anime cry Now, they're all 8-10 dollars, making them affordable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1