• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
I don't rewatch that often because my backlog is huge (while I do watch fansubs, I am referring to my DVD backlog), if I had the time to watch new stuff and rewatch old shows as well I would. However, the stuff I have found the time to watch more than twice, if I remember correctly, is Serial Experiments Lain (when I didn't have that many shows, and I'd like to watch the series many more times), FLCL (because the show is good and very short), Cowboy Bebop (I'm pretty certain I've seen the series three times now, I've definitely seen the show twice and would like to watch again), Kino's Journey (again, may have only been twice, but I'm pretty sure that I watched three times and I absolutely love the show), Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (always makes me cry, watched four times I think), virtually every show I have I'd like to watch again, and I've seen shows in fansubs I want to watch many times as well, I'm just busy watching the 190cm long (in their cases) backlog I have, incidentally I've been a fan for 5 years or so, and I like animated series/films/OVAs and graphic novels (or single/4 panel gag comics) from loads of different time periods, I don't really understand the whole "old/new shows are better" concept.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
I've rewatched a lot of my series at least twice (from my DVD collection or from TV reruns). If I don't ever plan to rewatch it, I usually sell it (although some things are too new to my collection to have seen them twice. I've only had Master Keaton and Last Exile for less than 3 months)

The one I've probably seen the most is Princess Tutu (at least 4 times within the first year I knew about it) or Outlaw Star (5 maybe, depends on how many times I saw the show through on its original airing).

In the case of sci-fi shows like Key the Metal Idol, and Noein, I usually rewatch them because they have so much technobabble in them that you really need to watch it through again to have it make any sense. I enjoyed them both the first time, but it made far more sense the second time without a doubt

This past summer, I rewatched Digimon seasons 1-4 to see what I thought of them nearly 10 years later (and it had been so long that I had forgotten half of what happened anyway). I remember, as a kid, I liked them in the order of best to least: 1-4-2-3 but after rewatching them, my order changed to: 2-4-1-3. Given how interesting it was to see how my feelings changed about Digimon, I would think it to be interesting to rewatch a show after at least 5 years (or after I had forgotten most of the main plot points). I did something similar with Ranma 1/2 and determined that I didn't even like the show anymore, then promptly sold my DVDs because I knew I'd never be watching those again.

In addition, I often play my video games more than once. Except for RPGs, which are usually too long to play, most of my other games have hit my system either twice, or not at all (waiting to play them really), except the Tales series takes exception to this rule and a few other action RPGs and Pokemon games. I've played most Zelda games twice, The Sly Cooper trilogy at least 5 times, gotten 149 eggs and all gems in Spyro: Year of the Dragon twice, the Klonoa games probably 10 times each, both God of War games twice, the first Prince of Persia 3 or 4 times, Psychonauts twice, the list goes on and on.

In both cases, considering how much I usually have to pay for these, if I'm not going to watch or play it again within the next 5 years, I see little point in keeping it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Quote:
Name an amime series - not a movie - that you've watched more than twice, and tell us why.

"Amime"? Confused lawl

Whoops, that's what I get for finishing the column at 10pm. Fixed.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

If your favorite anime and manga titles aren't popular ones or if you didn't immediately discover them, then they WILL vanish and you WILL be unable to completely see/read the series you like. THAT is the injustice (forget about the air quotes), and this situation is just plain not as commonplace for books, movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment.

You know, this is a really, really good point. The Princess Tutu fandom had a scare with this--at one point the singles had gone OOP and were really hard to find, just as a lot of new fans were starting to look for the DVDs. If ADV hadn't released the boxset about that time, a lot of people would've missed out on it. And a lot of us were worried that Tutu wouldn't even get a boxset. (I don't know how unfounded those fears were, but they seemed very real to us at the time.)

I think that's part of the reason I tend to be so passionate when it comes to promoting shows I love--I don't want that sort of thing to happen again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

You know, this is a really, really good point. The Princess Tutu fandom had a scare with this--at one point the singles had gone OOP and were really hard to find, just as a lot of new fans were starting to look for the DVDs. If ADV hadn't released the boxset about that time, a lot of people would've missed out on it. And a lot of us were worried that Tutu wouldn't even get a boxset. (I don't know how unfounded those fears were, but they seemed very real to us at the time.)

I fell perfectly into this camp, I found out about Princess Tutu about 2-3 months before its boxset released (around August of last year I want to say). I watched it over the internet, and if ADV hadn't come out with the Princess Tutu boxset, I doubt I would have ever be able to watch again. I picked it up online within the first week of its release and since then have spread it to a few other people as well.

I've been noticing the Maison Ikkoku books disappearing myself and its making me sad. I also missed Please Save My Earth's manga (it was around the time I started reading manga, and it was so easily missable) and would greatly appreciate if Viz released some omnibus editions of them. There are so many other series in anime and manga that I would really get into now if they just re-released them in boxsets or omnibus. I pay more attention to things now though, the Mushi-shi singles are also disappearing, but I got those. Anyone know if Mushi-shi did well enough to warrant an obvious boxset?
guet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
I watch quite a few series at least twice. Especially since I've started watching fansubs, I find myself re-watching a series I enjoyed when I pick up the DVD's.

There are some series that I will grab off the shelf from time to time and watch again. Outlaw Star, Blue Gender, Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, Kenshin seasons 1 and 2 + the first two OVA's, and Noir have all been seen at least three times.

For the record, I think that some of those complaining about the quality of Gundam SEED may be talking about some animation issues and overall technical merits, but I have to side with those defending the series. If you don't expect the holy grail of mecha, and can enjoy it for what it is, then SEED really is an entertaining show. If you are going to pick the battle scenes apart frame by frame and look for flaws with the series in general anywhere you can find them, then yeah, you probably won't enjoy it so much.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm a re-watcher myself, but only as long as I really enjoyed the show. I mean, if you're paying for the DVDs, you may as well get more than one viewing out of it. Plus, if it's really good, why not watch it more than once?
Not only that, but it's really quite comforting to sit down with some old characters that you know and love.
I was talking to a girl at work about Evangelion (she told me she was an anime fan, but had no idea what Eva was. All the air left the room at that moment) and was telling her about a show that had parodied something that happened in episode #20. She just looked at me and said "You know the episode numbers?!" When you consider that I've seen the show at least 10 times, yeah, I'm going to know the episode numbers.
Oh, and Zac, you and I share a lot of re-watchable favs - Utena, Escaflowne and Eva are all high on my list of shows that I just have to watch over and over again. For me, there's also X, Higurashi, Welcome to the NHK, Sailor Moon and Fushigi Yuugi.
stopher87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I read through everyone's posts and I guess I'll have to say it. Hey Arnold was a great show.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
I once watched the whole of Utena (ep1-39) in one day.

Azumanga, Excel, Bebop, Eva and Black Lagoon are also incredibly repeatable. I haven't watched any of them more than twice though.

I'd definitely rewatch series more often if it wasn't for the fact that there are still a bunch of reputedly very good series that I haven't seen at all yet. Generally if a series isn't worth rewatching, it wasn't worth watching once. It is sad that people don't rewatch as much any more, and this could be another factor in declining DVD sales, it's pointless owning a DVD if you only plan to watch it once.

I used to have a guinea pig. They squeak pretty loud.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't even imagine the concept of not wanting to re-watch shows that you enjoyed. That cuts across all mediums of entertainment, too; I've probably read some of my favorite childhood books dozens of times over the years, I know several Disney movies almost word-for-word, and there are several games I feel the need to play through at least once a year, if not more. With anime specifically, I think it helped that the vast majority of my earlier anime-watching endeavors were courtesy of [adult swim], and I took advantage of the (now sadly departed) weekday repeat block to re-watch my favorite former premieres as many times as they were aired. I don't keep track of re-watches, but I have to have seen shows like FMA or GITS several times over, and my FLCL count has to be over 10 at least. The way I see it, I wouldn't be adding to my ever-growing DVD collection, or indeed even have a DVD collection to begin with, if I didn't intend to watch them repeatedly as the years go by. Granted, there are several series I own that I've yet to actually break out the DVDs for, but most of those are ones I'd seen a few times over on TV first, so I know that the purchase was a worthwhile one. In general, I feel like anything that doesn't leave me with a complete feeling of "meh" deserves at least one reviewing.

Also, to the respondent who mentioned Gurren-Lagann, I just finally finished it earlier this week. What you said, and a thousand times over. If every show had that much concentrated manliness and awesome in it, we'd probably die from the overdose...but it'd be the best way in the world to go. Very Happy

(We used to have a guinea pig or two. Low-maintenance, cute, generally amusing...great pets. I miss them. Sad)
larinon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
My proudest moments as a fan are when I get to share the anime that I really love with other people, particularly when they are well received.

Probably my favorite example of this was at our club's Halloween meeting/party last year. I had decided to show Ghost Hunt. We probably had our biggest turnout of the semester, which for us is around 20 people, and it was so well received that we continued to have unusually high attendance for the rest of the semester as we finished out the series.

Regarding rewatching series, I will always revisit my favorites from time to time. A lot of series I will watch twice typically, first when I watch them on fansub and second when I watch them on DVD. I must have watched Azumanga Daioh four times on fansub before I even got the DVDs. I actually kept those fansubs since I prefer the cultural explanations that the group did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
I read through everyone's posts and I guess I'll have to say it. Hey Arnold was a great show.

Oh, I KNEW I forgot to say something. I agree, it was an awesome show. They don't really make cartoons much like that anymore. (I'm so disappointed in American cartoons in the past few years...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The question I have been leading up to is this: Do you believe that the relative popularity of the Sudden Girlfriend genre exists (despite incredible saturation) because at least some Japanese viewers believe it might actually happen?
No. Not at all. It has absolutely nothing to do with Shinto or religion whatsoever.

I rather disagree. I think it does have to do with religion in a way. Consider anime fandom a religious movement in a way, that fanatics are moved in a religious way or way you used to see in religions. Certain anime fans treat anime as serious as a religion. Plus it is possible that Japan has usually been pretty loose on religion and mostly remains secular is a contributing factor to this.

As for people complaining about a popular series being almost automatically being accepted while their favorite series remains obscure, I somewhat understand. While it's not particular to anime, I do see this trend and it somewhat bugs me. Sometimes I wonder if some anime fans are really into the series or if they're just bandwagon jumpers. I do wish people would expand into other series. Of course maybe these series act as gateway drugs into other, and maybe better, anime series.

So let's see.. I've compared anime to religion and drugs.. What other out there comparisons can I made?
animepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
the anime serise i've watched more then twice would be fullmetal alchemist and ouran high school because they were just sooooooo good i had to watch them again =)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Zac wrote:
There is this notion that it's some sort of huge injustice when your favorite crazy "niche" title isn't as popular as Naruto, and I never really understood that. It's like complaining that everyone's reading Harry Potter but you're reading Artemis Fowl and why doesn't everyone also love Artemis Fowl as much?

Actually it's very simple, but to clarify why is to point out that it's NOT like your Harry Potter/Artemis Fowl comparison on the grounds that despite its relative obscurity, at least you can still actually GET Artemis Fowl with ease. The same cannot be said for popular anime vs crazy niche stuff because of the decrease in overall scale.

For an already niche pursuit like anime, fan interest directly corresponds to availability, both commercial and otherwise. If a show is not popular among fans, then there is nobody to fansub it or distribute it; BitTorrent requires people to seed the files, and seeders become increasingly scarce over time even with popular titles. Try getting a raw of a show from over a year ago that was never fansubbed, or even one that was fansubbed yet not popular. It will probably prove difficult.

Commercial releases are similarly problematic. A year isn't really that long of a delay to wait before consuming most other forms of entertainment, but if people don't get behind an anime release right at the instant it's released, chances are very high that it'll go out of print at a rate much faster than ordinary DVDs do and be gone forever. The chances of discovering forgotten stuff is thus reduced to finding guys in dealer's rooms or online with product they've had unsold since the time of initial release. You want to watch Patlabor, Aura Battler Dunbine, Nobody's Boy Remi, or the grandiose work of art that is Black Lion because someone recommended it to you? Too bad! You were just too slow to the party even though those DVD releases are only from a few years back. By contrast, if I'm convinced that The Adventures of Pluto Nash isn't as bad as everyone says, I can still get that with ease.

If your favorite anime and manga titles aren't popular ones or if you didn't immediately discover them, then they WILL vanish and you WILL be unable to completely see/read the series you like. THAT is the injustice (forget about the air quotes), and this situation is just plain not as commonplace for books, movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment.

Great point, if I want to buy SRW OG: DW I have to shell out 50 dollars for three episodes, not even dubbed.

I would love to see Dunbine but I can't because ADV's in the stinkhole and the series sold like crap in the first place.

Naruto and other popular anime gets nice boxsets, that are cheap, anime that sell poorly get crap (and for good reason).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5