• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unreleased FUNimation Licenses Update Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
WTK - do you have any guesses as to what the "heritage anime series" may be?

You're asking the wrong person. For the most part, I suck on guessing licenses. My rule of thumb nowadays is keep your expectation (very) low.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Laughing You're a wise man. In my mind, I've built you up as this Avatar of All Licensing and Release Knowledge so I thought you might have gleaned some mysterious signals that wouldn't mean anything to the rest of us. Wink
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Blood- wrote:
WTK - do you have any guesses as to what the "heritage anime series" may be?

You're asking the wrong person. For the most part, I suck on guessing licenses. My rule of thumb nowadays is keep your expectation (very) low.

It's totally going to be Kodomo no Jikan. Built-in advertising, man. Built-in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing You're a wise man. In my mind, I've built you up as this Avatar of All Licensing and Release Knowledge so I thought you might have gleaned some mysterious signals that wouldn't mean anything to the rest of us. Wink

Agreed Laughing

I feel like I at least owe you a beer for the amount of deals and info that I have profited on because of you.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
No Tatami or Mushishi on bluray is a definite bummer.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Curious if it's a licensing issue or an issue of economics.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

I would say economics. Both series have been out for a long time on bluray in Japan (the Mushishi release they got was gorgeous too). I guess it just isn't financially feasible. I guess we already have Mushishi readily available on dvd, but no home video release at all for Tatami saddens me. Even a dvd would be better than nothing. Neutral
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
FLEABttn wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

I would say economics. Both series have been out for a long time on bluray in Japan (the Mushishi release they got was gorgeous too). I guess it just isn't financially feasible. I guess we already have Mushishi readily available on dvd, but no home video release at all for Tatami saddens me. Even a dvd would be better than nothing. Neutral

Mushishi was planned for a BD release here at one time, it was listed as coming soon in one of those advertisement pamphlets that used to come with Funi's releases, but they must have decided sales weren't good enough so it ended up in the SAVE line.

Maybe NISA will go after Tatami since they've licensed a few of the other ignored noitaminA shows lately (Five Leaves, AnoHana, and Usagi Drop).
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:

Mushishi was planned for a BD release here at one time, it was listed as coming soon in one of those advertisement pamphlets that used to come with Funi's releases, but they must have decided sales weren't good enough so it ended up in the SAVE line.

I remember those! Smile There were more than just Mushishi that were listed too I believe. I remember a Blue Gender Bluray was on almost every one Laughing . I'm sure there were more too, they just can't come to mind (maybe Desert Punk?).
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
While there are benefits to upscaled content on blu-ray, I do feel a bit better about it knowing that it was at least just that. Oh well. Waited on the blu-ray version, guess I'll get the DVD's now.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Noted by Justin Rojas (via latest Q&A)...

A "heritage anime series" mentioned from ANNCast will be announced during Animazement (Durham, NC). The industry panel is scheduled on Friday @ 1PM.

Did I miss something? Did they announce their heritage title and I've simply been under a rock?
WTK

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Nothing was announced from Animazement and Anime North. I guess either Rojas was thinking of something else or they just have to announce it at another time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Suckage. I'm dying to know what that title is. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though ... Funi seems to only use a handful of cons to announce their licenses - the main one being AnimeExpo, of course.
Kitnene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Heritage title from Animazement? I think from what I remember last week was them announcing bringing the vast majority of Tenchi back. I know the three main series as well as I believe a couple OVAs. I didn't personally take notes in the panel and they were having major technical difficulties with the computer that's all I can recall at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Suckage. I'm dying to know what that title is. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though ... Funi seems to only use a handful of cons to announce their licenses - the main one being AnimeExpo, of course.

Don't worry, my backward friend from the North, I shall be attending Anime Expo, so I will find out what surprises FUNImation has in store for us when I go to their panel. Leave it up to us superior Americans to keep our backwards neighbors to the north informed as to what's happening in our superior region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20