• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unreleased FUNimation Licenses Update Thread

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, WTK, thanks for the update. It's greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
At one time, Funi streaming a show was a pretty good indicator that it would eventually get a home release (with the exception of things like Tatami Galaxy, Rainbow and more mysteriously, C³). Now that Funi is streaming so many more titles I wonder if the phenomenon of streaming shows not getting physical releases will grow.

Actually, I see the opposite happening, considering that they're now starting to put out sub-only releases such as Oni-Ai, Puchim@s, and Inari Kon Kon. I'd think if anything it means we're going to see *more* physical releases from FUNi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
That is indeed possible. But I wasn't looking at whether Funi would be releasing more or less titles overall, but rather whether the rough rule of thumb "streaming license eventually equals home release license" would continue to hold. I have to assume the metrics that Funi obtains from streaming guides (or contributes) to home release decisions: good numbers = eventual dubbed release, okay numbers = potential sub-only release, crappy numbers = no way, no hell getting released.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
We're...uh, we're never gonna see those Code Geass blu rays, are we? Neutral

To be perfectly honest, since the last OVA is premiering this summer, it's totally within realistic expectations to...uh, expect, them to release the entirety of CG this year. Yet I still get the feeling that it's wishful thinking.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Patience,you'll see CG on Blu-Ray in the states.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That is indeed possible. But I wasn't looking at whether Funi would be releasing more or less titles overall, but rather whether the rough rule of thumb "streaming license eventually equals home release license" would continue to hold. I have to assume the metrics that Funi obtains from streaming guides (or contributes) to home release decisions: good numbers = eventual dubbed release, okay numbers = potential sub-only release, crappy numbers = no way, no hell getting released.

Like Sentai, I'm not convinced streaming numbers have much say in what gets dubbed or even released. Just throwing this out there: Ok numbers + fan service is better than just good numbers. Funimation has yet to get in Sentai's "I can't believe they did a sub only of that while that one got dubbed" trap but it's bound to happen eventually.

I still hate their sub only releases, still hate the fact they feel the need to do it {Hey, there's too much anime as it is and it's not all golden} or they stupidly signed a combined streaming/physical release contract forcing them to do it. Have some standards, earn some respect.

I got ten new releases from them in 2013 and three in 2014 so they're obviously doing something, right? But I have noticed myself that something's a bit off as they're licensing 5 plus shows a quarter plus license rescuing the same or more but most of it's just staying in limbo.

The biggest hurdle is the BD Region A problem and it's only getting worse as certain companies are apparently taking the matter more in hand these days. Code Geass BDs? Sunrise, huh. And Funi's negotiating directly with the animation company....

Do you want the good news or bad news first? Too late.
Good news: You got Cowboy Bebop on BD.
Bad news: You got Cowboy Bebop on BD for a particular reason.

Could be worse, could be Kyoto Animation.
I'm not saying it won't happen; I'm just saying it won't be easy or cheap.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/02/16/episode-356-it-was-me-diomante/

1:18:12 Piece by Piece with Josh Kocurek

- Season 7 is officially announced
- 6 installments (episodes 385 - 456)
- Working on commissioned covers already (starting with first voyage; planned for summer 2015)
- Broadcast dub of One Piece has been discussed & looking for feedback

---EDIT---

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/02/17/bepo-fans-rejoice-one-piece-season-seven-is-on-its-way
Quote:
Bepo Fans Rejoice! One Piece Season Seven Is On Its Way!
Posted by Michelle on 02/17/2015 at 8:00am

The Straw Hats have set sail for Sabaody Archipelago and they’re about to run into a heap of trouble! We’re thrilled to announce that we have acquired the U.S. home video rights to Season Seven of the long-running action, adventure series. One Piece Season Seven is going to be a big one! Releasing in six installments and spanning episodes 385 – 456, Season Seven will include the following arcs:

- Sabaody Archipelago
- Amazon Lily
- Impel Down

More One Piece also means more English voice actors for some of the most beloved characters in the series! Stay tuned over the next few months as we unveil who’s been cast for fan favorites like Silvers Rayleigh, Eustass Kid, and, of course, Trafalgar Law.

The Straw Hats wrap up their adventures in Thriller Bark in Season Six, Voyage Four – releasing April 7. Be on the lookout for Season Seven shortly after. Coming your way Summer 2015.

Can’t get enough One Piece?! Be sure to catch new simulcast episodes every Saturday at 9:00pm EST on onepieceofficial.com and funimation.com/one-piece.

Last edited by WTK on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Thrilled to see that we'll be getting season 7. It's probably not a top seller for FUNi but their dedication to such a crazy long series is commendable.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/585777013333565440
Quote:
- Hey guys!it's been 5 months since the last update about Eva 3.33. Is there any other information about release date/status?

- latest info is in the faq on our site. We're hoping for a late 2015/ early 2016 release window.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20