• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which American cartoons are popular in Japan?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
We all know that animes like DBZ have become really popular in the US. But how about American Cartoons? How popular are theyh in Japan? I know that PPG and South Park were quite popular since they have one of the most popular seiyuus, Megumi Hayashibara.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Disney has had a HUGE impact on Japan. Hence Toyko Disneyland. Back when the war was being fought the American GI's basically overran their country with american influences. It also helped the GI over there, away from home and family and everything they knew as "normal" to have signs of the US there. That's why Coke is as big as it is internationally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Tom & Jerry is the most popular american cartoon in Japan according a poll from a few years back on the most popular anime "of all time."

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Even more popular than their own anime?
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Tom & Jerry is the most popular american cartoon in Japan

So no, that probably doesn't include their own anime.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Disney has had a HUGE impact on Japan. Hence Toyko Disneyland. Back when the war was being fought the American GI's basically overran their country with american influences. It also helped the GI over there, away from home and family and everything they knew as "normal" to have signs of the US there. That's why Coke is as big as it is internationally.

If it wasn't for the help of disney, anime wouldn't be as it is today if disney didn't inspire Osamu Tezuka. In a way, Walt Disney helpped a little bit in making anime.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I hear the Powerpuff Girls were popular in Japan. Megumi Hayashibara even sang the OP Theme song.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Megumi also did the voice for Bubbles or Buttercup. I read in one of the articles in this website that PPG only made moderate success. Not a smash hit. But I heard that Megumi also did the voice for Cartman's mom in South Park. If it's true, I'd like to see the Japanese dub with subs to see if she could do a good job on it. But I wonder if they're not offended with the parodies of their shows in south park.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tekkaman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I heard a friend of mine say Batman Beyond had a good rating and was popular in Japan, but I don't know if this is true or what.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
ZahmiraV wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Tom & Jerry is the most popular american cartoon in Japan

So no, that probably doesn't include their own anime.

If you keep reading you'll see where I said most popular anime, anime being the japanese use of the word, not ours. Wink It was basicly a poll on the top cartoons shown in japan, T&J was the highest ranking american cartoon on the list, something like 15 out of 50 or so. Can't seem to find the list anywhere now though, I think Doraemon was #1.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
If it wasn't for the help of disney, anime wouldn't be as it is today if disney didn't inspire Osamu Tezuka. In a way, Walt Disney helpped a little bit in making anime.

In a biography I read of him, it wasn't really Disney that inspired him, more like American comics in general.

"My career as an animator began when at the age of 4 I copied a picture of Popeye. My house was full of comics when I was a schoolboy. Because we were able to obtain a projector and several films, I was able to see Mickey Mouse, Felix the Cat, Chaplin, and Oswald Rabbit at home. When in the third grade in primary school, I drew comics in my notebook, which was immediately taken away by the teacher. Later, however, he encouraged me with praise....."

~ Tezuka
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
i'VE SEEN the first cartoons like mickey mouse and popeye and I can see how it influenced modern anime.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
I came across a site devoted to American cartoons in Japanese once but I don't have the link right now. It was pretty amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
South Park wasn't very successful in Japan, by the way, much like the Simpsons wasn't.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:12 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
South Park wasn't very successful in Japan, by the way, much like the Simpsons wasn't.

Yeah, but the Simpsons in Japanese just seems so much funnier. I've only seen a couple of the Japanese Simpson commercials *I think it was for some drink* and I really don't know what it was, but it had me rolling on the floor laughing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6