• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why we all love anime so much.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xusaphiss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason why I love anime so much is because I really, really connect to it emotionally while watching more than anything else. After watching shows like Kanon, Heroic Age and Clannad, I feel like the expression in anime is so good.

I love the connection I feel when watching it. They also put that extra touch to the characters that you can relate to. The music is usually great too. Very Happy

Anime also seems to have more interesting plot twist then many other formats.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
xusaphiss wrote:
Anime also seems to have more interesting plot twist then many other formats.

Really? Ignoring the common knowledge of the "reveal" of the twists about to be mentioned, it seems live-action dominates that area. Darth Vader's identity, the original Planet of the Apes' ending, Se7en's climax, The Sixth Sense, etc. Heck, I'd rate some shows' twists better than most anime's (definitely LOST, for example). Not saying anime doesn't have some good plot twists, but none as memorable as those I've seen in live-action IMHO.

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest plot twist (and simultaneously genre-changing) moment ever is Chapter 11 of Watchmen. Smile

Agreed about the music, anime often has wonderful soundtracks.
russia313

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
hmmm Confused The reason i like it so much is because the anime can show some things that cant be seen in the movies or some tv shows like how deep it goes to show the emotions and background for the characters and the action scenes are the best thats almost impossible to recreate in the movies. Very Happy Cant really explain it very well but that's it...
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
I love anime because... ever since I was little I've been watching it, I've seen so many beautiful scenes,places, and stories come to life. Im emotionally attached and I can't let go of this medium.. It's like clinging to my past and to my childhood. I believe that I've been affected in many ways by watching anime, good and bad. With anime, I can see characters come to life and they have voices,expressions, and personality. When I watch anime, it's like reading a good book except I don't have to use my imagination(as much). I can connect with characters and I see parts of myself in them, it's been really comforting.
And I love anime because, I've had so much fun watching and being inspired to live life to the fullest by it. Very Happy
idaho777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well anime has that catch to it besides tv and other entertainment. Anime is a made up story where anything is possible. If someone on t.v is going to fight, anime makes it 10x magnified, if someone is about to win a race, anime makes it 10x dramatic, if someone on tv is about to win a person over, anime makes it 10x romantic. Anime has plenty of itself and one can find that *one story* that they always have wished to see or read.
someone can flip through the channels and stop on one show, but they arnt satisfied by it. Anime provides satisfaction throughout the whole show. I just think we love it because it has a lasting story for everyone.
also anime is very good in suspense. Animes always have good scenes to end the anime; the viewer just wants to know wats next and watches that next part along wiht more satisfaction, then again comes another suspensful scene that theyw ant to view. Anime is sort of like a drug or addiction.
I think we all love it because it is fiction where anything can happen, its not like tv because tv isnt as dramatic as anime. Anime has a little bit of everything for everyone
valondar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay. Thought my post wasn't processed.
Ishmoo wrote:

I'll try to watch A Scanner Darkly again from a different perspective since you said that. I was very distracted by the technique and didn't feel the acting was great, but I'll give it another go.

I thought the acting was okay, but Robert Downey Jr. was outstanding. The visuals one can take or leave, I guess - according to Linklater he felt it worked as it captured the disorientation and the uncertainy of the boundaries between the real and the unreal - and I thought that was an unsettling effect that worked well.

As far as different perspectives go - well, if you haven't read the novel, it's worth a look, if only to see just how closely the film followed the novel. I went in to see it with a mental list of little touches I liked and was certain would never get onto the big screen.

They were all there. So, yes, as a PKD nerd I'm understandably biased strongly in favour of the film. I can certainly see why someone else wouldn't care for it.

Quote:
I'd be interested in some of those European films you mentioned. Got any suggestions?

I'm no expert in European animation, to put it mildly. I'm even less than an amateur. But here's what I like:

Rene Laloux. Fantastic Planet, The Time Masters, Gandahar. The best of these is unquestionably the first. His films are largely excuses for weird, surreal sci-fi imagery, and in Fantastic Planet, are as haunting as they are memorably disturbing. (An influence on the far more family-friendly Nausicaa, oddly enough). Time Masters and Gandahar are a little weak by comparison - and lack the truly demented mind of his collaborator Roland Topor - but they're pretty good and still showcase much of his strange style. They lean a little more towards the sci-fi part of the surrealism, with his collaborators being Metal Hurlant contributors Jean 'Moebius' Giraud and Phillippe Caza respectively. If you liked the Taarna stuff in Heavy Metal, I don't know, maybe you'll like this - they're largely serious affairs.

Also in the field of French animation... The Triplets of Belleville and Persepolis were two films nominated for an animated Oscar and deservedly so, in my opinion. Michel Ocelot's Kirikou and the Soceress is a work of Miyazaki-esque beauty and an excellent children's film (although the large amount of ethnographic nudity has meant it hasn't really translated well outside of France). I've heard Waltz with Bashir is good but I've yet to see it. That one has a rather Linklater-esque visual look though.

I mainly like French animation, I guess. It's what I grew up on. I'll also give a shout-out to noirish cyberpunk thriller Renaissance, a film I am largely alone in liking.

Oh, yeah, and as for why I like anime... Kaiba was just wonderful. I enjoyed that show a lot. Somewhat Laloux-esque.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
valondar wrote:
Also in the field of French animation... The Triplets of Belleville and Persepolis were two films nominated for an animated Oscar and deservedly so, in my opinion. Michel Ocelot's Kirikou and the Soceress is a work of Miyazaki-esque beauty and an excellent children's film (although the large amount of ethnographic nudity has meant it hasn't really translated well outside of France). I've heard Waltz with Bashir is good but I've yet to see it. That one has a rather Linklater-esque visual look though.

I mainly like French animation, I guess. It's what I grew up on. I'll also give a shout-out to noirish cyberpunk thriller Renaissance, a film I am largely alone in liking.

With all due respect to France, you're getting into some international co-productions there that can't solely be defined as French.

Waltz With Bashir = Israel + Germany + France

Triplets of Belleville = France + Belgium + Canada + U.K.

Renaissance = France + U.K. + Luxembourg

Kirikou and the Sorceress = France + Belgium + Luxembourg (though the followup Kirikou and the Wild Beast was purely from France)

Persepolis = France + U.S.
valondar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

With all due respect to France, you're getting into some international co-productions there that can't solely be defined as French.

And Fantastic Planet was animated in Czechoslovakia, The Time Masters in Hungary and Gandahar in North Korea. I'm not really interested in getting into an argument about the semantics of what is and is not national cinema, but the titles I've mentioned are at least French enough.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Where something is animated is another matter entirely and does not compromise nationality of production. It's a question of money and creative input; anime is purely Japanese in these respects, even when the grunt work is outsourced to other countries.
Descent123

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
valondar wrote:
Rene Laloux. Fantastic Planet, The Time Masters, Gandahar. The best of these is unquestionably the first. His films are largely excuses for weird, surreal sci-fi imagery, and in Fantastic Planet, are as haunting as they are memorably disturbing. (An influence on the far more family-friendly Nausicaa, oddly enough). Time Masters and Gandahar are a little weak by comparison - and lack the truly demented mind of his collaborator Roland Topor - but they're pretty good and still showcase much of his strange style. They lean a little more towards the sci-fi part of the surrealism, with his collaborators being Metal Hurlant contributors Jean 'Moebius' Giraud and Phillippe Caza respectively. If you liked the Taarna stuff in Heavy Metal, I don't know, maybe you'll like this - they're largely serious affairs.

Oh crap, I remember watching Gandahar (Light Years) a lot when I was a kid. I keep remembering the movie but I forgot the title. It was ok I guess. Razz
Milan Gurung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
acc to me why i love anime so much beacuse they are totaly diffrent from reality where impossible things can happen anime is epic epic fight epic movments which makes it so better there is no way any one can say anime is sit i want to go anime i must say there isnt much any thing better than anime i love anime to the bottom of my heart Twisted Evil [/quote]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but this is almost a 9 year old thread so I am locking it. Please see our rules on necroposting. Thank you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4