• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonball z dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing about the dragonballz dub. It is the worst funi dub but I wouldn't say it was butchered.

Music: D- (I have to admit. The only part of the new music is when Goku turns to super saiyan 3 for the first time. I really liked it. But the rest of the dub music is bad especially the gt rap)

Translation: B (I haven't seen the sub for the Saiyan to Freeza saga. But I've seen the Android to early Baby saga subs and dubs. The translation is pretty accurate. The dvds have some cursing in it too. I haven't seen the super 17 to shadow dragon saga dubs)

Voices: B (I liked the voices especially buus. It fits in more with his childish personality. I just don't like Vegeta's and Piccolo's dub voice. baby's voice is perfect)

But that's just my opinion. what do you guys think?

Last edited by Animefan16 on Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked Vegeta's and Piccolo's voice. They looks and acted like violent people and were. The voice fitted in alright.

PS: Vegeta and Piccolo is done by the save VA.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:50 am Reply with quote
Well, vegeta's voice in the saiyan saga was the worst. He sounded like one of those insect monsters in horror movies.
Maccers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:54 am Reply with quote
I thought the Actual Voice dubbing was passable, but i really hate the way tha DBZ was handled, they pretty much remixed all the episodes, replaced the music and painted beer green (What the f**k is up with that?, i mean, its not like kids dont know that beer exists......)
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quote
I think that only happened in the tv version, not on the dvd.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
And then it was only in the first couple seasons before FUNi went solo.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the sub or the uncut dub of the first Dragonball series. But I can guess that it's well translated since this was redubbed when the the dbz dubs were improving. Plus it has the original music in it. No "Dragonball Rap". I can guess that this would be the best dub of the dragonball trilogy? But I haven't seen the sub and uncut dub, so this is just a hypothesis.
Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:59 am Reply with quote
Lol, I remeber before freeza saga krillins voice was totally differnt.
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
Klaus wrote:
Lol, I remeber before freeza saga krillins voice was totally differnt.

It makes wether FUNi doesn't really cares about voice acting or it's just that they fire voice actors whenever they can. Wink
The voices change alot during the show. I remember seeing the last episode then seeing the first one right after and the voices were all off. It was annoying. It was like watching a whole different show.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
That's because after FUNi went solo they stoped using Ocean Group for their dubing and did things in house. This was probably the best move they could have made as it set them up for just about every title they have done since.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nclunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
whats the point of this thread if it all ready has been up befo
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quote
How recently?

Emerje
rage-demon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, the reason why the dub before the mid-Frieza saga sounds so different is because Geneon (known as Pioneer at the time) had it licensed and dubbed. Funimation licensed all episodes past that point.

Also, as many know by now, Funimation is/was/will be re-dubbing the beginning sagas that Geneon had dubbed. This means that they will be the uncensored versions and not the butchered versions Geneon released (butched due to Saban entertainment, if memory serves right.)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
rage-demon wrote:
Just to clarify, the reason why the dub before the mid-Frieza saga sounds so different is because Geneon (known as Pioneer at the time) had it licensed and dubbed. Funimation licensed all episodes past that point.

Geneon had nothing to do with the dubbing and editing. They were merely the video/DVD distributors. It was Saban lording over FUNimation that led to the unfortunate state of the first story arc and a half. Once FUNi broke away from Saban, they move all operations concerning the series in-house (dubbing & distribution).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
The Translation for the DBZ series was 100% some of the worst you'll ever fine. The music of course is a joke, but there isn't a "Script" to dubbed DragonBallZ. FUNimation didn't take the time (money) to translate and then hire OK voice actors.
DragonBall Z is and will all ways be one of the worst dubbed anime of all time.

Music: Electric Keyboard, "here comes the clowns" GRADE: F

Voice Acting: No talent voice actors hired off the street, the voice director has No idea what he is doing since he admits many times he has never even watched the original show (which means he has NO idea on how the characterization should be) Grunting = "Powering up" Grunting faster = "throwing punches" Grade: F

Script: If there was a translation for the dubb I'm sure it was thrown out. Around 80% of every thing said in any Dubbed DragonBall Z episode is just made up on the spot with only the back bone of the story left.
"These Dryers Take For Ever" Grade: F

Of course this is my opinion ..... lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2