• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Looking for some help

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, here are my few stupid questions to add to the mix. Approximately how long are the screeners? I could handle quite a bit now, but I start college next semester, so I don't know if I could handle 4 series a week. If they are done by volumes, however...

Another question. Does age matter? I am still pretty young, but I really do want to apply, since I am hoping to move on to be an author one day, I need all the practice I can get.

And I further the manga question: Are there any posts for that? While I absolutely love anime, I also love manga, especiallly for its artistic merit, I can stare at them forever, lol.

I also further the fansub question. I have seen a few series that haven't necessarilly *and apparently I am too tired to spell right* been released dub-wise, Like Master of Mosquiton '99. Can I send in a review for something of that nature?

I am so sorry if I sound a bit presumptious, but I really just wanted to know a bit more and to see if I stood a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ianoo wrote:

And I further the manga question: Are there any posts for that? While I absolutely love anime, I also love manga, especiallly for its artistic merit, I can stare at them forever, lol.

I'm pretty sure the screeners are volumes, since that is what is reviewed in shel

on the review page, which lists all the reviews, you'll see that some are manga, you can also see on the homepage in the latest reviews column a few manga reviews.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:16 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
What exactly are screeners? Are they the actual retail DVD or some kind of different package?

It varies, sometimes they're identical to retail DVDs, other times they aren't.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quote
Vukir wrote:
Eh... Additional question. As to the reviewing of manga. Is it possible to submit your sample being a review of a manga? And, if so, is there a different set of quide lines for the review? Or, should the review be done the same as an anime, only modifying some (I.E. Animation quality can be applied, as well as any CGI, but Dub and Sub would obviously be difficult barring having the original manga.)?

Thanks.

Essentially the same as an anime review, but you aren't going to cover certain obvious aspects such as animation & dub.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
Empyrical wrote:
Another question: Would you rather have an applicant review a DVD from store shelves with an english dub, or would a fansub (the show, not the subbing quality) be acceptable as well?

No fansub review in the applications please. The majority of the reviews this site does are based on retail DVDs, so we want to see how you handle that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ianoo wrote:
Ok, here are my few stupid questions to add to the mix. Approximately how long are the screeners? I could handle quite a bit now, but I start college next semester, so I don't know if I could handle 4 series a week. If they are done by volumes, however...

Most reviews are of an individual DVD. Take a look at our existing reviews.

Quote:

Another question. Does age matter? I am still pretty young, but I really do want to apply, since I am hoping to move on to be an author one day, I need all the practice I can get.

Age doesn't matter directly. But it often affects a person's ability to write. If you're 15 and write well, then we're interested in you, if you're 24 and can't write for your life... However, there are more 24 year-olds that can write a decent review than 15 year olds.

Quote:

Nope. The reviewers would be allowed to review the occasional manga, but the focus is on Anime.

Quote:

I also further the fansub question. I have seen a few series that haven't necessarilly *and apparently I am too tired to spell right* been released dub-wise, Like Master of Mosquiton '99. Can I send in a review for something of that nature?
I'd prefer to see reviews of something that has been dubbed.
Ianoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for answering my questions ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Here's my stupid question: I read that this is for residents of US (preferred) and Canada. How about 'soon-to-be resident of US'? Cause although I don't live in the US right now, I'll be starting college in the US from Aug 20, does tha tmake me eligible?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Only if you plan on staying after the school year ends.

By the way, I am skeptical of 1st year University students.

They aren't ruled out, but all things being even, I'd be more likely to pick the non-1st year student.

I know from experience that 1st year students often don't have the amount of time available that they think they have... Come finals, I stop getting reviews.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So then it doesn't have anything to do with age? Because I'm still in high school. Does that make me eligible to apply?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
So then it doesn't have anything to do with age? Because I'm still in high school. Does that make me eligible to apply?

I've already answered that question.
Kainashi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
just one question, how do i submit an application, if ya wanna call it that, for a reviewer job? im extremely interested in this, and I've seen quite a few animes, so how do i sign up?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kainashi wrote:
just one question, how do i submit an application, if ya wanna call it that, for a reviewer job? im extremely interested in this, and I've seen quite a few animes, so how do i sign up?

animenewsnetwork.com/show.php?text=50

Quote:
When your review is complete, please send it to [email protected]. Please make sure that the subject of the e-mail is "Sample Review:" followed by the title of the anime or manga you are reviewing (otherwise it will be discarded as spam).
Kainashi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When your review is complete, please send it to [email protected]. Please make sure that the subject of the e-mail is "Sample Review:" followed by the title of the anime or manga you are reviewing (otherwise it will be discarded as spam).

thanks for the help, my comp. was acting up earlier and wouldnt let me open any links. Wink
Vukir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh* One more question on my end. Thank you for answering my manga question, but, this one falls in a similar catagory. Are games based on anime and manga available to be reviewed? I.E. Evangelion: Girl friend of Steel, Galaxy Angel, Wild Arms 3, and even Pokemon. All those games either came from an anime, or, had an anime spawn from it. In all cases, posses anime within the game. Are reviews of such titles permissable? Although, I am sure that you would not be distributing games to be reviewed, but I am more then willing to purchase and review anime game titles (might as well review what I already play eh?) So, that should (hopefully) be the last question from me.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4