• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Live Action DBZ from Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
At least ANN and Kyle admitted they were wrong. Somewhere along the line, information got screwed up and was taken as truth when it wasn't. In the end, I think running a correction was for the best. Better to admit it then deny it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
Tempest: If the person didn't know, then Steve shouldn't have
stated the news item as fact.

Kyle: Steve didn't say it was "official", but he didn't say it was a rumour either. He just made it seem like he had the final word on the subject, when he didn't. And the reason I blew it up is because I prefer he double-check his facts in the future. That is all.

Louie: Actually, they didn't admit they were wrong, but at least FUNimation is around to discredit them.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
There was nothing to double check, Gatsu. Steve called Fox. They replied. He simply posted what they said. That's all. He never intended it to be taken as anything more than "here's what Fox said when I called them".
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
If that's the case, then he wouldn't say, "there you have it".
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If that's the case, then he wouldn't say, "there you have it".

Um...no? "There you have it" can be taken to mean "that's what happened." It doesn't automatically mean "THIS IS ALL-CONSUMING TRUTH."

Good God, is that what this has been about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
Let me get that statement in full, so it doesn't look taken out of context: "So there you have it folks. That is the OFFICIAL story from FOX. I know some of you may be disappointed, but I think it's a blessing."
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ahhhhhhhh!!! My worst fears have come to life; There will be a live action DBZ Movie in the works and the lame ass movie White Chicks actually grossed over 19 million?!!?? Mad
Evil or Very Mad Surprised Shocked Laughing

But it's all good..although DBZ will make it's money here in the states, i highly doubt it will be as good as my boys Casshan and Devilman. Razz
Fox got lucky with the X-men movies because Brian (Singer) had put so much care and concern for the concept. sans the comic's costume counterparts of course. But Daredevil on the other hand.....

As for a live action Luke Cage,hmm it might just work. as long as they omit the comicbook's silly dialogue like "aww,christmas"! and "whatchoo lookin at sucka"!
Wink
Funny how actor Nicholas Coppela took the name Cage from said comic character and adapted it as his stage name. Cool
(Nick, who is filming the Ghostrider movie is a huge comicbook fan.)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"So there you have it folks. That is the OFFICIAL story from FOX. I know some of you may be disappointed, but I think it's a blessing."

Humm, Gatsu does have a point there.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It Would be kinda crazy seeing people try to act out DBZ charaters. They would look funny.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The people trying act out an animated porson would be hard. Not many times you see a live anime movie.
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
GATSU wrote:
"So there you have it folks. That is the OFFICIAL story from FOX. I know some of you may be disappointed, but I think it's a blessing."

Humm, Gatsu does have a point there.

Still, guys, Steve only meant that the post reflected what he was told by a Fox representative. He wasn't meaning "official" as in there was a press release or anything. Point remains, the post was never intended to be anything more than "here's something interesting you guys might wanna know". It should never have blown up to anything beyond that.
poweranime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey peeps,

The live action movie is being worked on... It seems hard for people in this thread to do this, but trust me. My store's 2 blocks away from Fox... I hear things...

Why so much hate out there for a DBZ movie? Its anime! If you claim to be anything of an anime fan, then you should go see it at least to produce constructive critisizm for future live-action anime endvours. In all honesty, I hadn't seen too many anime-based live-action movies, or decent ones at least (Fist of the North Star *shutter*), and I'm just dying to see more titles done with high-level budgets (i'm sure the DBZ live action movie license alone cost a grip). Slamming ideas on producing live action flicks on one of anime's most significant titles doesn't help to convince major studios to continue the trend. Anime in itself is still a niche market, and the industry could use every dollar it can make (especially after the PMX *shutter... again*). So, if anime is important to you, go see the movie if not for yourself, then for the for the industry.

Why don't we start brainstorming on a couple of topics that might help the movie. I'm sure there are tons o' threads out there that address this sort of thing, but I'm feeling they're probably pretty dated, and I think it might be good to find out what people in the moment might think about 1) what saga would they like to see done in live action, and why 2) what sort of stuff are you looking forward to seeing in the movie (technology, animals, etc.), 3) and of course, what actors do you want playing title roles.

If you think the movie's going to be bad, then tell us why? Maybe someone at FOX will read this thread and find some inspiration.

PowerAnime4Life
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I heard that some of Japan's anime-based live-action movies like GTO did well. DBZ will be the first american-made anime-based live-action movie. As poweranime said, don't criticize the movie without seeing. But I do agree that it will be hard to make. For one thing, how will goku look like in live-action?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DBZ will be the first american-made anime-based live-action movie

Mark Hamill did several awful Guyver movies, and Malcom McDowell was in Fist of the North Star.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, now http://www.dragonballz.com/index2.cfm?page=news has refused to confirm Ramsey being attached to the film, so I'm confused. So I'll just apologize to Steve and Kyle and call a truce until this mess can be sorted out. Sorry for earlier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8