• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vocaloid's Future : The missing link in Music Creation

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikelepte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Ikelepte here,

I'd like to discuss here the future of Vocaloid and what it will represent for our western society when Miku English Voice bank will be launched. And not only with Vocaloid fans, but also those not interested much in it because it goes beyond music itself. It will change a lot of things even if at first it doesn't.

Vocaloid was the first reason I started a blog a few months ago so that I could post about what I think is worth sharing like an idea, a concept, a thought or whatever shows talent in some way.
So I made some articles about this Japanese voice synthesizer, about what kind of songs have been created from it since the last few years and also the inevitable new process in music creation it has revealed and that will take place soon in the near future.

At the moment, there is 3 articles about Vocaloid and they are aiming at everyone.

The first one is a sort of introduction to this program and the phenomenon Hatsune Miku. To the neophytes (even those not interested in Japanese stuff), I explain how I came across the virtual singer "existence" and why we should overcome the misleading idea that Japanese went to a concert with a virtual singer just because they are mad about new technologies.
So if you are new or have a friend simply reluctant to the words Vocaloid or Miku, may I try to convince you with a simple article? It takes only 10/15 min.

Article #1 "Hatsune Miku : Talent Ambassador"

Following the first article introducing Vocaloid, its community development and creations, I wrote the 2nd article to give a few examples of what kind of song comes from it. Still very oriented to those who only see Japan with prejudice ideas like short office hard-worker yellow people everywhere, I explain how someone can easily brake the language barrier between our western society and Japan's. Then a few examples are provided with the help of Vocaloid songs created from the community presented in a progressive and friendly way to better appreciate Japanese.

Article #2 "How to appreciate foreign language songs : Example of Japanese with Vocaloid"

The 3rd article and most recent will show you my prediction on where the new concept revealed by Vocaloid will take us in a few years, what I call the "Missing link in Music Creation". Something that I think is inevitable and not because I am a pro-fan. I am no pro Vocaloid at all. I do enjoy what came of it and it took me a bit of time to appreciate it fully. I explain why it is inevitable in my opinion with examples of other worldwide success.

Article #3 "Vocaloid's Future : The missing link in Music Creation"

Thank you for your time and for reading. Feel free to comment on the site too ^^. So let's start the discussion on Vocaloid's future (and also if you could Digg the articles, I'll appreciate.)

Digg Articles:
#1 Talent Ambassador
#2 Appreciate Foreign Language with Vocaloid
#3 The missing link in Music Creation

PS : English isn't my main language (French) so if I made mistakes, please bear them, or even correct me. ^^
Ringworm128

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Vocaloid has the potential to go far if it is advertised right. If they had more news articles telling people what its used for and how its changed a huge part of the internet by allowing people to creative instead of saying that its a hologram that they use for concerts. Also it would be good if they used other Vocaloids besides Miku because some people find it hard to take Vocaloid seriously with Miku's high voice and moe anime design.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
That's where the misconception comes in. The vocaloid programmes, including Miku, are all basically synthisised musical instruments that have voices instead of just basic tonal sounds. Therefore like any musical instrument there is a wide range of octaves that can be used from low to high similar to a piano keyboard. If one took the time to dig deeper in research anyone will find there is at present over 250, 000 individual songs created with Vocaloid in virtually every genre of music known, by just as wide a population of artists. Sadly only 4 or 5, are known to the majority of fans who have discovered the Vocaloid phenomena and most also put the weight of value on the visual character rather more correctly on the voice itself. Vocaloid is a sound medium, not a visual one, meaning that if it wasn't for the songs they sing a vocaloid would be no better than the voice synth that Prof. Steven Hawkings uses. The fact that animations do exist is 99% down to the dedication of fans who also have the CGi and talent to create it, and that is just with the Japanese original programme. But having said that, we must keep in mind that the Japanese are much more accepable of new technology like this where the west seems to have an inbred suspicion toward anything that might reduce the need for real organic talent and might view vocaloids as just a passing fad, or cause a backlash rebellion against artificially produced singers and their songs even though the voice banks were all sampled from real living person's voices. This is also speculation as the English version of Hatsune Miku will not be released until "Spring of 2012". That might also change as it still a work in progress as I type and could run up against unforseen problems that will cause delays. Personally I hope it will do for western talent what it did for Japanese talent, that is to give an opportunity to expose to the music world even more original diversity of new music and musical talent to be added to the world and I can't wait to hear it. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1