• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To be frank, making "your own anime series" is basically impossible for your average fan, unless you're uniquely talented in Flash, have a lot of free time and don't mind not being paid for your work. If I came up with a concept that I thought would make a good anime series, I'd probably try to find a more accessible medium - maybe it'd also work as a series of novels, or something I could post as a serial online, or perhaps a webcomic. Something that's actually a viable venue for me to get my work out there.

zac is right about this.

Since Anime is just another form of animation to regular Japanese folks, it's not much different from other cartoon shows when it comes to making. (Gasp!) When many average fans think of anime, it has to be multi-episode, 600 minutes long epic of some kind. Or epic 120 minute movie. This is where people draws a line and stop. It would be possible for anyone to make 10 to 30 second fun-project with determination and ample time. When Hideaki Anno showed those 6th graders how make animation, they come up with interesting visuals with their imagination. Then once again, such action is impossible if the person is not willing to do any work by himself or herself. After all, no one will help you, and your friends have egos and excuses avoid difficult work.
Let's say that the fan is serious about making anime. He has every cool graphic softwares in his disposal, thanks to his download savvy. He has art supplies consists of paper and pencil, which he can get them from anywhere. Now what?

Fan has to set moderate goal that he could handle.

Set the story in short & simple form, but interesting. There is no way in the hell that a fan can come up with a 30 minute episode. If he tries to do that, he'll be stuck in his house for YEARS, drawing and animating. And money will not drop from the sky. If he wants to make 20 second version, then he still has to do a lot of things with or without FLASH. The Fan has to make these:

1. Storyboard (the most important part. No SB, no animation process)
2. Character design (unless you want to draw stick-man)
3. Background design (unless you want to have that Matrix blank-white scene throughout your animation)
4. Prop design (I-pod counts as prop if you want your character using it.)
5. Mechanical design (vehicles and home electronics are mechanical object, not just giant robots)
6. Color setting (If you want your character to have purple hair...)
7. Animation process (you have to make it move, right? Or maybe not. Storyboard to the rescue)
8. Editing (No, this is not got to do with AMV. You have edit your own animated scene)
9. post-production (hey where is the sound? I don't feel romantic because there is no music. Time to rip-off some popular music)

Ta-da! The fan finishes his pilot film which he will hoping that it makes to media notice. If his pilot is impressive, someone will buy the rights and he sets his foot into entertainment business.

Last edited by reanimator on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
Go Red Panda!

.... why does that sound like an anime series? >.<

I'd rewatch black lagoon again... once I get all the dvd's lol
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
I agree with you had to say about Berserk, Zac.

The level of detail and quality the author adds on a consistant basis warrants his breaks. The level of detail can hardly be compared to series like Naruto.

Often times, the level of detail is frightningly high. He can take breaks all he wants, as long as quality doesn't drop to increase the release rate. I have no problem waiting for them to be released.

I have the same thing DarkSheWolf has going on, in regards to Macross. I'm rewatching it, and it was one of the first anime I saw. Although, I am rewatching it because finishing Macross Frontier inspired me to rewatch it.

P.S. That bunny is plotting something.

Also, Zac, here's the cutest kitten ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-jsjLB20Y

Don't forget Ninja Cat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M
Isdrake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
What I would never se again is that "boy/s find treasure and inside there is a woman". And the plot continues in a way that she is a valuable weapon or key of some sort. We have seen this so many times now. Or a magical being some sort, being a weapon or guardian for the main character.

For example, Elemental Gelade, Outlaw star, chrono crusade and so on. Well the list can go on and on. Its starting to get annoying.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
@Last Week: I meant to send it in but I didn't want to because if I did, I would've wanted to write like, a 5 paragraph explanation that could've been too much rambling or too sappy for some. For me, the one series I've watched over 2 times (The total being 5) is Air TV. It has nothing to do with me being a key fan because it was the first title I ever learned of from them. It's probably what's kept me going for so long as an anime fan in general.

It's got... Such a bitter and cruel plot, I just can't help but love it. The entire show is just a pure visual example of sacrifices, the strength and love a mother shows for their child and so much more. I really don't want to go into it, to really explain my deep rooted love for this show is just too complex to put into words and I honestly mean it. I find it to be such a purely flawless work of a tale of tragedy right up there (And I know someone will call me an idiot for saying this) Romeo and Juliet. I really do... Two great tragedies in their own ways, both comparable and uncomparable.

And I have actually read Romeo and Juliet to completion, so please don't tell me that too was not bittersweet in some form, because you don't know what you're talking about. I may have only been 14 at the time but that was the year I was really beginning to learn and enjoy well written drama.

Second most watched (3 times) would probably be... Full Metal Panic TSR!. First time was fansubs, second was when a friend stayed over at my place for 3 days and then last year when the same friend, myself and another friend met up, he convinced the other friend to watch it. Granted the third friend did not get any plot referencing the first series, he enjoyed it nonetheless, with it's espionage-type feel.

@this week's question: Honestly? Timeskips. For very few, I see that they work well (Gurren Lagann, FMA movie, spoiler[Clannad After Story~]) but for others, I cannot HELP but feel they occur for well... Wrong reasons.

Forgive me, I don't mean to use this as an example but... Naruto Shippuden. I'm sorry but didn't this primarily happen to get some problems out of the way? Praise the series all you want, but you must admit, surely the company running the anime and the creator himself dug themselves into plot holes they could not fill back up. It may be cheap to say this, but I can't help but feel it was a cop out.

The second reason I dislike timeskips is CONFUSION. For me, one primary series did it for me...

Chrono Crusade. Hold it though, I should clarify, this is the only MANGA I've ever fully completed, aside from Love Hina (And that was just a need to see it to an end, being 14 volumes lone with CC at 8) but there's a particular scene in Chrono Crusade that I'm honestly confused by. And it's not that it wasn't unsatisfying, more so that... Because of how much I am a fan, I would've liked to know the truth behind spoiler[Whether or not the sudden jump at the end was either a look into the past... Or if the grave for Rosette had been put up due to assumption of her death and she was still alive, waiting for Chrono. A great conclusion of course, but the sudden appearance of Joshua and other characters did truly confuse me.]

Still, amazing ending regardless.

Hopefully though, World Embryo will have an excellently satisfying conclusion as Chrono Crusade, albeit the 4th volume is just starting.

@Isdrake: But of the three examples you choose, you choose moderately good shows? Elemental Gelade wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad... Outlaw Star had much more going for it and Chrono Crusade... Well, that's a major stretch my friend, Chrono's no weapon and neither is Rosette, she can hold her own quite well.

But I know there are also shows who failed miserably and make a god awful use of it. I can't think of a specific title, but I know there's gotta be something, cause the most recent series to nail this 'person is a weapon' idea decently is Soul Eater.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

As for this week's question, I have a very, very simple request:

I would like to never see a person say another character's name as their only line.

I'll give you an example:

(Something bad happens to main character)

Female love interest: "Van."

Another example (from Macross Frontier):

Saotome: (thinking angrily about his classmate) "Michael."

Final example (from Gundam 00):

(Setsuna does something amazing)

Sumeragi: "Setsuna."

Although males are susceptible to it (as evidenced by Saotome), I notice the females more. Often females that a show is trying to portray as caring, though it comes off as slightly creepy (and it makes her look like a simpleton).

I don't know why it grates on me, but I suppose that it is such a pointless and stupid thing to do. As if we, the audience, are unable to figure out just who the character is thinking about right then. Saying just a person's name as an entire line of dialogue is redundant, meaningless, and is comparable to waffling garbage. If they are going to insert a reaction shot (which in itself is okay), then the least the production company could do is actually have a reaction shot, rather than just a wide stare and a single word uttered.

It might not be so bad if it wasn't in almost every Anime. At least, it appears to be in every Anime. I don't know why it is so common, or why it appears in both the good Anime and the bad. Is it just a really, really bad cultural thing, or what?

So yes, I would get rid of this entrenched abomination.

Heh, actually I've noticed that too and complained about it in the past. I always keep thinking: real people don't really do that, do they? Laughing

Another such cliche is this "pre-arranged" thing: situations are always pre-arranged - marriage, succession, destiny, whatever! Arrange this, arrange that! Why make a situation already set?! Why not just let things develop on its own?! Why is he/she already her/his fiancee? Why not let them earn it first?! It's like they're letting other people take responsibility of their own lives without them doing anything! Too lazy to write a decent build-up plot? Pre-arrange it! Razz

Oh, here's another: the Japanese preoccupation with rich folk - there's always at least one character who is super-rich beyond belief! Whether it be a Fortune 500 company president, rich inheritance, celebrity, whatever! First of all, only 2% of us are that rich - and rich people most often only associate with... dun dun dun.... other rich people! They don't associate with commoners! Yet there's always someone there! One in every class, in every school! Why do you always need rich people to move a plot along?! Isn't the vast variety of middle class enough?! Do you secretly obsess to be included within the rich folk circle so much?! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Another such cliche is this "pre-arranged" thing: situations are always pre-arranged - marriage, succession, destiny, whatever! Arrange this, arrange that! Why make a situation already set?! Why not just let things develop on its own?! Why is he/she already her/his fiancee? Why not let them earn it first?! It's like they're letting other people take responsibility of their own lives without them doing anything! Can't write a decent build-up plot? Pre-arrange it! Razz
Pre-arrangements of social, and/or economical marrages, or successions have been a part of Eastern culture since pre-history, and Japan is not going to be any different being so involved with that. Indeed it was also apart of aristocratic Anglo-European culture, some of which immigrated to the "colonies", up until the early 20th. Century.

My pet cleché that has been done to death and beyond , is the weak, pathetic, lame, sexually, (or generally), autistic male character that has the backbone of a jellyfish and the social awareness of the same. Some of them don't seem to have the sense to get out of the way of oncoming traffic until it actually hits them then cry "why didn't somebody tell me?" also the on going drama of the miscomprehension, and miscommunication.
Girl: I love you!

Lame spase: (thinks to himself)Why doesn't she like me? wwhy can't girls just say what they mean?

Girl: Did you hear me? I said I love you!

Lame ass: (stares at her for what seems like 5 minutes, then shouts in a broken voice, "I'm sorry!" then runs away. )

Girl: (Standing there completely perplexed) Idiot.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, actually I've noticed that too and complained about it in the past. I always keep thinking: real people don't really do that, do they? Laughing

Another such cliche is this "pre-arranged" thing: situations are always pre-arranged - marriage, succession, destiny, whatever! Arrange this, arrange that! Why make a situation already set?! Why not just let things develop on its own?! Why is he/she already her/his fiancee? Why not let them earn it first?! It's like they're letting other people take responsibility of their own lives without them doing anything! Too lazy to write a decent build-up plot? Pre-arrange it! Razz

Oh, here's another: the Japanese preoccupation with rich folk - there's always at least one character who is super-rich beyond belief! Whether it be a Fortune 500 company president, rich inheritance, celebrity, whatever! First of all, only 2% of us are that rich - and rich people most often only associate with... dun dun dun.... other rich people! They don't associate with commoners! Yet there's always someone there! One in every class, in every school! Why do you always need rich people to move a plot along?! Isn't the vast variety of middle class enough?! Do you secretly obsess to be included within the rich folk circle so much?! Laughing

No, they don't. Just like real people don't talk like the characters on soap operas. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that one word one-liners are utterly pointless and distracting.

I happen to agree with your other two gripes. Most rich children go to private schools, so why is there always one snooty rich child in every class of every public school in every prefecture of Japan? And why are they so overwhelmingly snooty in the first place? Perhaps it stems from Japan society suffering an extreme case of "Tall Poppy Syndrome", which values uniformity. More likely, it is simply tapping into the universal human fascination with the rich and famous.

As to destiny and the way it is used, I agree than it is often used a a poor substitute for a proper plot. It seems as though many productions would rather have two characters be in love because they were supposed to rather than because they liked each other. Or, have a hero be powerful because they were destined to defeat the "baddy", ignoring how destiny does not heal wounds or strengthen muscles.

What I also hate is the "trope" where a young couple declares their love to one another, then has to split up when one of them has to move away (often due to that person's father getting a new job somewhere). Of course, they meet each other later on in life, when the girl has "filled out", and the guy is a complete "douche".* Whether they recognise the other is varies. But one thing doesn't change; their initial promise to one another always seems to happen in kindergarten. That I want explained, because it requires so much suspension of disbelief, and it is just so weird.

Anyone?

I put that in there for you, JesuOtaku.
YamiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
You know, he's right. That red panda is adorable.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
"My pet cleché that has been done to death and beyond , is the weak, pathetic, lame, sexually, (or generally), autistic male character that has the backbone of a jellyfish and the social awareness of the same. " - Mohawk52

YES THIS! But what I hate the most about them is that they WHINE

about everything. all the time.

OK, we get it, they're whiney teenagers, I know them, I prolly was one, and I have one now. They don't have to whine so much.

For once I would like that character as the main one, to be subdued. Everyone around them is painted wildly anyway... instead of outshining, make 'em a bit more shadowed. That way we aren't waiting for Asuka to actually break and kill Shinji to the delight of the audience. spoiler[Or wishing the Simon had bought it instead of Kamina....] Or that for heaven's sakes Yuuko allows Watanuki to be consumed by something evil and takes Domeki to be her lover! [what? you were thinkin' it]

ETA a thousand apologies for the spoiler...

The list goes on. I'd say that's why may favorite protagonists are Naota from FLCL and Kyon from H. Suzamiya...
Petulance, whineyness, attitude, OK but in balance... it's bad when you wish that the protagonist be the first to go...

for last weeks re-watches... I don't own 'em unless I'll watch them more than once... but I have a theory.

Long running things like Bleach, I am unlikely to rewatch lots because I tend to want to see how one thing leads to another, and there is SO MUCH. On the other hand, I'll dump in FLCL just on a lark because there are only 6 eps. I can watch it through without planning the time. Same with the harem stuff like Tenchi or El Hazard. Once we start talking full season, I start needing to be in the mood for it, and plan a weekend... UNLESS it is smaller arcs, where there are natural breaks, like Gurren Lagann.

Maybe it's just that I have a short attention span, oh look! Shiney...

Last edited by ArthurFrDent on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
For once I would like that character as the main one, to be subdued. Everyone around them is painted wildly anyway... instead of outshining, make 'em a bit more shadowed. That way we aren't waiting for Asuka to actually break and kill Shinji to the delight of the audience. spoiler[Or wishing the Simon had bought it instead of Kamina.]

I... feel... pain. Anime cry
I put spoiler tags in the part of your post that I quoted to cover up the HUGE spoiler that I was most unfortunate to have read.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I... feel... pain. Anime cry

I feel for you. My advice is to go watch TTGL anyway, and root for him twice as hard.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

YES THIS! But what I hate the most about them is that they WHINE

about everything. all the time.

OK, we get it, they're whiney teenagers, I know them, I prolly was one, and I have one now. They don't have to whine so much.

For once I would like that character as the main one, to be subdued. Everyone around them is painted wildly anyway... instead of outshining, make 'em a bit more shadowed. That way we aren't waiting for Asuka to actually break and kill Shinji to the delight of the audience. Or wishing the Simon had bought it instead of Kamina. Or that for heaven's sakes Yuuko allows Watanuki to be consumed by something evil and takes Domeki to be her lover! [what? you were thinkin' it]

The list goes on. I'd say that's why may favorite protagonists are Naota from FLCL and Kyon from H. Suzamiya...
Petulance, whineyness, attitude, OK but in balance... it's bad when you wish that the protagonist be the first to go...

I have no problem with characters that whine a lot because I was a whiny teenager, and to some some extent I still whine as a adult but not as much as I was a teenager so to be it's something I can relate to and not get annoyed by because I was whiny and still am to an extent.

[quote ="Mohawk52"]My pet cleché that has been done to death and beyond , is the weak, pathetic, lame, sexually, (or generally), autistic male character that has the backbone of a jellyfish and the social awareness of the same. Some of them don't seem to have the sense to get out of the way of oncoming traffic until it actually hits them then cry "why didn't somebody tell me?" also the on going drama of the miscomprehension, and miscommunication.[/quote]
Some people don't have great social awareness and and I find that a trait that helps characters not seem just like everybody else, makes them unique in a way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
On the note of series you've seen more than two times, I have to share my story because I think it's kind of funny, but whatev.

I wish I could say I've seen this anime SO MANY TIMES because it's my favorite, I really do. Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite anime, but that's not the reason I've seen it so much I can recite every line in either language. I'm just a victim of circumstance.

To begin with, it was one of my first "non-kiddy" series, so I was blown away by not just the story, but the buttons it pushed for me that I'm now more used to. (The first episode I saw was episode 7, if that tells you anything about being "shocked" into loving it.) I taped every episode on [adultswim] that I could, and when I missed one, I went online to find it and watch it...and the three or four that came after it, because once you pop, you just can't stop. So that's about 1.5 times right there. After it was over, I bought the movie, and after saving up a bit, bought all the DVD singles, much to my parents' furious chagrin. I watched all the episodes uncut this time, and then watched the series in Japanese for posterity. That's at least 3 times now, not counting single "fave episode" rewatches, but it gets better.

Months later, I befriended a girl who was just getting into anime and very excited about new titles. I recommended FMA, and let her borrow my DVDs. Little did I know that she was quite the socialite and soon informed everyone, my friends and hers, how INCREDIBLE this series was...and that I had it. I soon became the Fullmetal Netflix for my high school, lending the series out to over 30 people at school, and, since they REALLY wanted to discuss its intricacies with me, I found myself watching it along with them. I rewatched however many episodes they wanted to discuss when they came to my house or met me in the hallways. One of my friends has a tradition of watching Howl's Moving Castle at her birthday party each year along with some other anime...it was usually my copies of Fullmetal. That's dozens and dozens of times now that I've seen the show, albeit out of order. My poor DVDs are weathered. The one with the cover of Ed's arm falling apart is, ironically, in the most tattered shape. Then summer arrived, and I thought, "No more FMA social circles? Ah."

But soon, my brother, home for the summer, asserted to me that he WOULD NEVER watch or like anime of any kind, and that it was all terrible, so I pulled out the secret weapon: FMA. I told him if he could watch three episodes of it and hate it that I would admit defeat. He fell in love with the show (still hates all OTHER anime, though) and I watched it with him. Chock up one more rewatch then...and then my boyfriend fell in love with the show! Well, what's one more sit-through with the significant other?

I have not seen the show in over a year now, but it is so firmly burned into my brain from "social binging" and overall love of the show that I don't think I'll ever need to! Still, if I had to see something that many times, Fullmetal Alchemist may be my choice, despite its length and intensity. I have many favorites, but Fullmetal Alchemist is still the gold standard and nothing I've seen quite comes close.

Still harrowing to imagine how many times I've SEEN it, though. Like, an ungodly amount of TIMES. Anime dazed

EDIT: Oh yeah. Right now my boss at the TV station is borrowing the first two discs...if he likes it, I'm...probably going to be breakin' it out after a year again, aren't I? Laughing
sixtopia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Interesting how many of the Anime listed as answers to last week's question were "older", as in classics, rather than something new-ish. Anime taking a similar role to comfort food; there's a fascinating topic for an essay.

I think this is partly because back in the old days (1980s and before) there were more anime for the general market, as opposed to all the niche and shonen we've seen in the last 15 years or so.

Certainly most of the shows I find easy to watch over and over again are from the mid-late 80's, and they are generally episodic rather than contain any story line. This makes it easier as I don't have to actually remember or pay attention to any storylines. I can skip episodes that I don't like or don't feel like watching. It's also funny to see the old cliches - like episode where the child prince of a fictional small country comes and falls in love with Ramen Noodles.

With newer anime I tend to rewatch those in marathons or in big chunks but with the classics I'm happy to watch one or two episodes a day.

As for exactly what I watch repeatedly, well, that's anything I buy. I generally only buy anime on DVD if I think I am going to want to watch it again. Especially big series like City Hunter, Patlabor (OVAs, TV, Movies), Lupin III. Aside from the occasional blind buys and some difficult films (Grave Of The Fire Flies, Barefoot Gen) I've seen everything in my collection at least twice. Cowboy Bebop is the one I've seen most, I think I've seen the entire series like 5 times in both sub and dub. Ditto for the movie. Over the weekend I marathoned Haibane Renmei for the 2nd time. I am currently going through Patlabor (2 eps per day), and that should take me to the end of November. I might do Robotech (seen 2x whole, 3x parts of the Macross bit) again for December, or maybe GITS SAC (1x whole, 3x 1st GIG).

dtm42 wrote:

As for this week's question, I have a very, very simple request:

I would like to never see a person say another character's name as their only line.

I don't mind this at all. Actually one of my pet peeves is when subs or dubs don't have the name or replace it with something else.

Also, going back to anime that people have rewatched multiple times, one of my favorite parts of Akira (which I have seen about 4 times) is close to the end where there are yelling out each others names.

Kaneda!
Tetsuo!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4