• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion Platinum Box Set?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharingan3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay alot of my questions might need to go under retail but I don't know. I wanted to know does anyone know, since Evangelion is getting re-released as Platinum edition, is there going to be a box set. I'm asking this because I have a Suncoast Replay Card, and have been saving the money back coupons for a while. I originally planned on buying the original Evangelion box set, but when I heard in Newtype Evangelion was getting re-released in Japan, I thought it might get re-released here too, so decided to hold off. Now that Platinum edition has been released what are the chances a box set might be in the works? Thanks for any and all information.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The first Platinum Eva dvd comes with a box to put the dvds in. Anime on DVD has a picture of the box art. A box set with all the dvds might be likely after all the individual discs are released..
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Platinum Edition discs will be released over several months. As Louie-kun said, you can either buy the Platinum Collector's Edition (First Disc and box for SRP $39.98) and then buy each new disc as it is released (SRP $29.98 DVD), or you can wait until after all discs have been released for the full boxset, which will certainly be released.

Also the first disc won't hit shelves until July 27.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
As Louie-kun said, you can either buy the Platinum Collector's Edition (First Disc and box for SRP $39.98) and then buy each new disc as it is released (SRP $29.98 DVD), or you can wait until after all discs have been released for the full boxset, which will certainly be released.

A quick question. I recently pre-ordered a copy of Vol.1 at Deep Discount DVD.

I would like to have the box, but I'm not sure what I ordered. After looking at the MSRP though, the one I bought was originally $39.95. The description on the site doesn't say it comes with a box. So, can any of you guys/gals tell me if this is the Vol.1 + box?

I'm going to guess it is judging by the price, but I just want some confirmation. Thanks!

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ADV010302
phoelixian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi Tony. Yeah, that's not very clear on their site. You should email a rep at Deep Discount to both post up some info and to also verify your order.
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused. I have the original box set and was planning on buying the remastered or whatever you want to call it when it came out. Is this the remastered or just another version of it and the remastered will come out later? I just dont wanna have 3 different Eva box sets. So will this be the last release of Eva or what? I have a low budget so i would like to know if this is the one or not.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:45 am Reply with quote
The EVA Platinum release is the digitally remastered video version with enhanced 5.1 audio. As to whether this is the final release of Eva. . . we'll see. Wink
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Is there another one coming out that has missing things? I thought i heard something like that. Like the directors cut dvds. Maybe I'm just imagining it. Thanks though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
Hi Tony. Yeah, that's not very clear on their site. You should email a rep at Deep Discount to both post up some info and to also verify your order.

Ok, done. Now all I have to do his wait.

The whole thing is supposed to be 7 volumes right? What will they do with the Director's Cuts? Will they just omit the TV cuts and replace them or what?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote
BERSERK EVA wrote:
Is there another one coming out that has missing things? I thought i heard something like that. Like the directors cut dvds. Maybe I'm just imagining it. Thanks though.

The director's cuts are already out. They are of eps 21-26 (dvd's 7 and 8 of the original release, although only eps 21-24 actually include new footage)

Tony K. wrote:

I would like to have the box, but I'm not sure what I ordered. After looking at the MSRP though, the one I bought was originally $39.95. The description on the site doesn't say it comes with a box. So, can any of you guys/gals tell me if this is the Vol.1 + box?

I got the UPC off of Deep Discount DVD and did a google search on it what I came up with was the Vol 1 w/ Collectors Box DVD Pacific. For those of you who want to know such things the UPC for Vol 1 w/ Box is 70272710302 while the UPC for just Vol 1 w/ no box is 70272707862. So rest assured Tony K. you ordered Vol 1. w/ Box.

Tony K. wrote:

The whole thing is supposed to be 7 volumes right? What will they do with the Director's Cuts? Will they just omit the TV cuts and replace them or what?

Yes, it's going to be 7 volumes. ADV says that it is going to "include" the 4 Director's Cuts (the "Director's Cut" was actually footage that was inserted in the Japanese VHS and DVD releases. ADV was going to use the home video version of EVA for the original release, but at the time Gainax only had the TV masters available. Or so they say at least). So I'm not sure if include means replace, or truly include.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Shocked

Thanks for all the info Kazuki-san. I can sleep easily now not having to worry about finally getting my first (legit Razz) serving of Evangelion on DVD.

Well then, now that you all know that the one I bought is with the box, feel free to use the link I provided to get yourselves one also! Very Happy

Thanks again Kazuki-san! Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I just got an e-mail from Deep Discount DVD saying that they only carry the standard version, but Kazuki-san's evidence and the MSRP on their site make me think differently.

Do you think the person who replied to my e-mail is in error? Shocked
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Hmm. I just got an e-mail from Deep Discount DVD saying that they only carry the standard version, but Kazuki-san's evidence and the MSRP on their site make me think differently.

Do you think the person who replied to my e-mail is in error? Shocked

It's possible, but if they only carry the standard version, then they need to correct their UPC. I guess you could contact them again and see if a different person answered....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
It's possible, but if they only carry the standard version, then they need to correct their UPC. I guess you could contact them again and see if a different person answered....

I just e-mailed a reply to their statement. I gave them the UPC and confirmation URL you used. I also told them what you suggested in correcting the URL and to include a better description so as to not throw anyone else off.

But for my sake, I hope that person was wrong about only carrying the standard edition... Anime cry.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
It's possible, but if they only carry the standard version, then they need to correct their UPC.

They'd also need to correct the price as the single is certainly not set at an MSRP of $40. However, $24 down from $30 is about their norm.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2