• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Comics CEO Mike Richardson Interviewed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The area that’s led that growth--the bookstore manga, particularly shojo--seems to be abating somewhat. I think we’re seeing that some of the companies that came into that market have experienced less robust sales than they’ve seen in the past. I think that spreads across the board for manga sales. Because Dark Horse has been in a different area from a lot of the manga that is responsible for the primary sales in the bookstore market, we’ve avoided that particular downturn.

You've also avoided making money from it, by continuing to sell manga no one wants. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You mentioned that you think shojo sales are declining. Why do you think that is? A couple of reasons. I think that much of the best material has been released. I think the overall level of quality has probably dropped somewhat.

No, as Shojo Beat can attest, there are still plenty of decent
titles which haven't been tapped for U.S. release yet.

Quote:
What about Buffy? Do you think that might appeal to a female reader who is graduating from manga?

Um, Buffy appeals to the same age demo as shojo. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Comics are a particular kind of experience when you read them and I don’t think anyone’s found a successful way to present those on the Internet in a way that will draw large numbers of existing comics fans.

So why'd you license MegaTokyo? Razz
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
They should have asked why Berserk is the only manga ever that costs $20 per volume (Well okay like $17.99 but close enough, and I live in Canada).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Agoston: It's because you have to be 18 to read it, so they lose potential younger buyers as a result.
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so they try to make up for it by overpricing it? Well, I guess that makes sense but it still really sucks. I've seen a couple 18+ manga that don't go above the normal price though, Life (published by Tokyopop) starts off as 16+ but changes to 18+ at volume 6, while maintaning a normal $10-12 CDN price for each volume.

Berserk is fairly popular, too, so they could go without the higher price, but it being popular also means that people will buy it anyway, so I'm sure it's better for them to keep it this way. Unfortunately..
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, I'm glad you've got an axe to grind with Dark Horse, because it's great comedy for me. Dark Horse and Viz INVENTED manga sales in this country, and I for one am glad that Dark Horse didn't jump on the damnable shoujo bandwagon that's left booksellers with a glut of unsold titles on their shelves.

Dark Horse's titles like Berserk, Oh! My Goddess, and Hellsing continue to be gold standards in their genres and the company gives them releases fitting the quality fans want. I rarely see Dark Horse titles languishing on the shelves the way I see the bulk sellers like Tokyopop, Del Rey, or ADV.

And let's not forget their art! The Yoshitaka Amano stuff they've published is incredible.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
They should have asked why Berserk is the only manga ever that costs $20 per volume (Well okay like $17.99 but close enough, and I live in Canada).

Berserk is $13.95, not $17.99. Hellsing is exact the same price, so if you were using the Canadian price (though it seemed like you were using the U.S. price and "I live in Canada" implied that the exchange rate made it about $20), then there is another one. Dark Horse has had titles in the past that did cost about that much in MRSP though. Some volumes of 3x3 Eyes, for example.

GATSU wrote:
Agoston: It's because you have to be 18 to read it, so they lose potential younger buyers as a result.

MPD Psycho $3 cheaper even though both are 18+ titles and should be shrinkwrapped, though my local Borders doesn't for some reason. Hellsing is the same price as Berserk, but not rated 18+ and shrinkwrapped.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst:
Quote:
Dark Horse and Viz INVENTED manga sales in this country, and I for one am glad that Dark Horse didn't jump on the damnable shoujo bandwagon that's left booksellers with a glut of unsold titles on their shelves.

Yes, the possibility of making money off of a new demo with titles like YUA and 3x3 Eyes-especially after dvd exposure-is just plain dumb. DH was correct to sell obscure horror titles which only appealed to importers. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Dark Horse's titles like Berserk, Oh! My Goddess, and Hellsing continue to be gold standards in their genres and the company gives them releases fitting the quality fans want. I rarely see Dark Horse titles languishing on the shelves the way I see the bulk sellers like Tokyopop, Del Rey, or ADV.

Repeat after me, boys and girls: Berserk and Hellsing are from DMP. DH just distributes those manga. And they're taking forever to re-release OMG, even though they translated it 15 years ago. I complained about the same problem with Shirow at AX, and they told me it was about putting out the best possible product. Well, hell, those Nausicaa and Maison Ikkoku re-releases are fine-retconning of VCR to DVD aside-and I didn't have to wait two extra years, just for them to make their street dates.

Quote:
I rarely see Dark Horse titles languishing on the shelves the way I see the bulk sellers like Tokyopop, Del Rey, or ADV.

They're on the shelves, because people actually buy them. DH stuff doesn't stay on the shelf, because it's pricier than the competition, and only DH fans are willing to pay for it.

Hitokiri: MPD Psycho also has less pages than Berserk, and comes in a smaller format. You might as well argue that GITS should be the same price as GITS 1.5.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What about Buffy? Do you think that might appeal to a female reader who is graduating from manga?
Graduating from manga? He makes it sound like graduating from primary school to junior high. Rolling Eyes A more appropriate question would be, do you think that might appeal to a female manga reader, to read OEL? seeing as Buffy would be a typical shoujo style if it was originally Japanese.
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri: Yeah in Canada after tax and the exchange rate each volume costs way more than the American price. I have the receipt from when I bought two volumes of it at once right in front of me and the price ended up being $37.78 CDN (I probably could have found a cheaper place to buy it but it's ridiculous nonetheless).

I didn't know Hellsing was the same price, but that's sort of weird, I'm pretty sure Berserk has more pages and has much more mature content. Still, there's only 9 volumes of Hellsing out while Berserk is on 25 and a bi-monthly release schedule, and on top of that Hellsing ends at volume 11 IIRC while Berserk is ongoing. It's also on that irregular schedule where the last few volumes have taken nearly a year to release.

Also, if what Gatsu says is true about MPD's page count (never read it myself) and the smaller format, that would explain it somewhat but Hellsing also has less pages than Berserk so.. I'm not really seeing a pattern here.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
...even though both are 18+ titles and should be shrinkwrapped, though my local Borders doesn't for some reason.

I'll betcha anything they receive them shrinkwrapped and then the manga cows rip it off so they can read it without buying it. Same thing happens at every Borders I've ever been to. Barnes & Noble has the same problem... they graze but don't pay.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
Agoston: I'm guessing that, in Hellsing's case, it's so DMP and DH can make a profit out of the venture.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Actually this statement doesn't wash, because older readers have more money to spend - and there's the rub....

And I can tell Mr Richardson where shoujo readers are graduating to - BL(yaoi) of course. Since there are hardly any non-BL josei titles licenced at the moment.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
yblees: Actually, that supports my point. Older readers are more willing to pay higher prices for a Mature title, but they don't represent the demo which buys manga in bulk.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:

I didn't know Hellsing was the same price, but that's sort of weird, I'm pretty sure Berserk has more pages and has much more mature content. Still, there's only 9 volumes of Hellsing out while Berserk is on 25 and a bi-monthly release schedule, and on top of that Hellsing ends at volume 11 IIRC while Berserk is ongoing. It's also on that irregular schedule where the last few volumes have taken nearly a year to release.

Also, if what Gatsu says is true about MPD's page count (never read it myself) and the smaller format, that would explain it somewhat but Hellsing also has less pages than Berserk so.. I'm not really seeing a pattern here.

I don't think the number of volumes or release rate would affect the per volume price. Berserk will hit that irregular release schedule sometime next year when they catch up with Japan too.

I didn't think about MPD Psycho's lower page count. But yeah, I'm not seeing much of a pattern. I forgot to look at my copy of Gantz #1, so I'll check that when I get home. I should have checked Eden and Gunsmith Cats Burst as well.

teh*darkness wrote:

I'll betcha anything they receive them shrinkwrapped and then the manga cows rip it off so they can read it without buying it. Same thing happens at every Borders I've ever been to. Barnes & Noble has the same problem... they graze but don't pay.

I don't think so. If that was the case, at least some titles or at least individual books would retain the shrinkwrap. Afterall, no need to unwrap every copy when one is already undone if you just want to read it. It seems to be the store's policy as everything is unwrapped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1