• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films to Distribute Anime for Sentai Filmworks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:

Just so we're clear, you're now arguing the opposite of what you claimed before.

Not this time, buddy. When I said new, I meant not continuing from a previous series released the year before, and not based off any previous legal exposure the year before.

Quote:
Devil May Cry was a property sold in May, June, and the first half of July 2008.

But FUNimation only got the rights in July, so how much of its success can actually be attributed to them?

Hellkorn:
Quote:
Devil May Cry was released by ADV earlier this year. FUNimation took over the license.

But FUNi only got the license recently, and how much did they actually make, if you include re-stocking and re-packaging fees and such?

Quote:

Depends on how you're perceiving re-releases. A lot of the former ADV titles being released are season sets.

But they're collections which already made their money as singles or as individual boxes; so there's no risk for ADV. Most of what FUNi's put out are multiple re-packagings of the same title. The only time ADV's ever done that is with Eva.

Quote:
... So this means that FUNi is going to fail, how?

The same way SF and Mario failed for their respective companies after their respective movies. They still made money, but were no longer cash-cows.

Quote:
You charge less overall for a product in a shorter time span, and of course they're going to need to sell more.

But if you charge less on too many items at once, and not enough people are buying all of them, something's got to take a hit.

Quote:
You are seeing the irony here, right?

No irony here.

Quote:

And if FUNi's still a quasi-monopoly this time next year, your response will be...?

A year and a couple months. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Geneon's failings were far more evident, and there ventures --securing a multitude of niche titles, not lowering prices on their box sets,

But niche titles are still niche titles. And in this economy, people are going to be more selective about what they buy, regardless of the deal.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
We're getting a bit off topic here. If we're going to turn this in to a debate on how good or evil Funimation is then let me know so I can just go ahead and lock this now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

Just so we're clear, you're now arguing the opposite of what you claimed before.

Not this time, buddy. When I said new, I meant not continuing from a previous series released the year before, and not based off any previous legal exposure the year before.

Actually, this time, yes. Unfortunately for your previous argument, your redefined criteria of "new" means that only one of the titles from all of Funimation's competitors counts as "new." Not Naruto, Death Note, Pokemon, Appleseed, Bleach, and so on. In trying to downplay Funimation's success, you're downplaying the success of everyone else even more and thus rendering your previous argument moot.

Quote:
Quote:
Devil May Cry was a property sold in May, June, and the first half of July 2008.

But FUNimation only got the rights in July, so how much of its success can actually be attributed to them?

This is just one title out of 14 Funimation titles on this list. This is an example of cherry-picking (focusing on one tiny bit of info and ignoring everything else that doesn't agree with a misconception). This is an example of not seeing the forest for the trees. Or the one tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
OMG, yes! Thank you for somehow getting Clannad, this is awesome news. And a Tsukihime boxset. I may have to look into that... too many people keep talking about it and Kara no Kyokai, which I've avoided since I haven't seen Tsukihime, but I've already got the Mahoromatic box that Geneon released right before they got downsized, so I don't think I'll be buying that again.

And as for a former ADV property, Funi, please release the rest of Tokyo Majin? Thank you for getting Higurashi out there, but it'd be awesome if I could fill all my artboxes. Domo arigatou.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This sounds promising, hopefully good things can come of this. Despite all the malice I've directed at ADV over the years, that doesn't mean I want them to fail and die outright either. Hopefully things will look up for them now and there future will be brighter.

THIRTY employees o.o wow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Richard J. for handing me the round.

But, out of sheer honesty, I wished for the Japanese anime industry to treat the anime fans in the West more seriously. GONZO seems to be the only one (since $unrise / Bancolding$ is merely trolling and fan-baiting).

Despite what everyone's saying; I still wish for a dubbed version of Strike Witches. I also wish for the dubbed version of "Iron Linebarrels" to come down the pipe as soon as possible.

So yeah. Nothing wrong with fanservice. "Fanservice at the expense of others; usually the guys." "Being reminded of how much of a loser we are." No thanks.

I will wait to see what happens, though. "Snickering Fat Guy" had placed its weight behind Clannad in the hopes of it becoming THE title for 2009. And then it's got some other titles and is on some other projects... We'll see. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Finally had a chance to read that interview.

Glad to see that 'ADV films' is still well and making a comeback. Looking forward to see what they have planned. Also looking for some older classics to make a comeback as well. But in the meantime hopes to the future.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ADV may be lucky enough to get the final volumes of Yatsoba or Gunslinger Girl on the shelves, but the question is whether or not it's worth it. It might get them some fan cred back, but that doesn't necessarily translate into sales.

Exhibit A - it would be worth it.

With only two or three new series volumes coming out in the year(I think 2 volumes of Yotsuba&!, and Gunslinger Girl, and one other series I am forgetting), they managed to beat Broccoli Books, DC/CMX Manga, and Go! Comi in total sales for the entire year. Meaning they were the fifth largest manga company of the year (in terms of sales). Point is, they did better than most dedicated manga companies. These titles will sell, and they will sell well.

I believe ADV also published another volume of Maburaho, for a grand total of two. I just believe ADV needs to focus on it's core business right now, and that's anime. By what we've seen, ADV's manga unit has been more or less liquidated, with the exception of translations, old stock, and licenses. It would take a considerable investment to start the division back up, and ADV could make better use of that money at this time. Not to mention, they will have extreme difficulty getting new, profitable licenses going forward. It would be very short sighted to restart their manga division now, when it likely has little room to grow.

Perhaps if the Switchblade and Sentai titles do well, ADV may have the capital to jump back in manga. But I imagine if so, it would late next year at the earliest.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hey, the two guys fighting over Funimation, I have a suggestion. Why don't you get about $150 together and buy a majority stake in Navarre? Their stock is 74 cents as of this afternoon. Then you can get a good luck at Funi's books, which Navarre is always very vague on. That should settle the argument... : )
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

Depends on how you're perceiving re-releases. A lot of the former ADV titles being released are season sets.

But they're collections which already made their money as singles or as individual boxes; so there's no risk for ADV. Most of what FUNi's put out are multiple re-packagings of the same title. The only time ADV's ever done that is with Eva.

Saiyuki
Released as singles
Then released in 2-packs (Double-barrel)
Then released as box sets.

Really, each company has a style. I think ADV drifted from it for a bit there, but from the interview maybe it seems like they're moving back to stuff that worked for them. For awhile it seemed they were just flooding the market with as many titles as they could, sort of like that half-empty cereal box thing of each cereal company trying to get the most shelf-space. There was a time I could buy ADV & know it would deliver on some level, but then they started putting out all sorts of lesser stuff that didn't deliver. Maybe one can blame the anime studios, but ADV didn't have to bring it all over. At least Geneon, if you followed it, seemed to go for the same audience. When Fushigi Yugi wound down, they went for Saiyuki. I bought my share of singles from ADV & Geneon & just when I thought I could save a buck because Saiyuki was finished, they came out with Saiunkoku & Shonen Onmyoji. One can even say the same about their devotion to harem on both sides-Tenchi, El Hazard, Dual, etc.
ADV on the other hand sort of dried up for me. As titles ended, the stuff they were putting out as singles just didn't seem to be worth buying as singles (ie-worth waiting for the box sets). I think Papuwa was the last title I was buying as singles. For awhile there I was buying Saiyuki, Excel, Soul Hunter, & each title seemed to end just when another great title was kicking up. I bought an incredible amount of stuff out of brand loyalty/the belief at least the dub would be fun/the price wasn't bad-$5 or so & did get burned a couple times, (Spectral Force. Debutant Detective wasn't anywhere near as fun as it should have been.) but the good stuff was good. I just hope they get back to really releasing stuff they like & not stuff everyone in the comapny likes or whatever standard they were using there for awhile. One could tell they loved a lot of their older titles. The commentaries on some of their titles were very facinating, but then they got into overkill--I swear one of the GetBackers commentaries seemed totally random & one of the Nurse Witch Komugi commentaries the actors & the director spent the whole time complementing one another rather than passing on any interesting tidbits about the taping or the title itself.

The partnership thing might work. They sure seem devoted to it & it does seem to work for Viz & Del Rey & the Japanese company sure doesn't seem to lose out since they can still sell a title to the highest bidder. However, I always felt ADV did best with titles they personally loved. Greg Ayres would comment how he'd beg to be on projects he loved. Various directors/writers would go on about how they pulled for this or that title & that passion showed back then.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
They still didn't release Jewel Hunter Lime BEM?

Any information about this anime?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Locked for necroposting, and this thread is now out-of-date anyway.

And Master Luc: Please check the Encyclopedia entry for the series first. If there's nothing posted there about it then no one in forums will know, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6