• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shikabane Hime: AKA Acquisition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mevious wrote:
I'd be delightfully shocked if they managed to dub it that quickly, too.

It's subtitled only. No dub.

Richard J. wrote:
The quality differences are, at least to me, quite minor.

In that case, you have never seen a proper fansub. If you honestly call the difference minor, then that's the conclusion I can make.

In any case, I'm not going to get further into this whole discussion. I've made my opinion on this matter pretty clear by now. I will buy this show if it turns out to be really good, but if not, I'm sure I can find something else to spend my money on. Like some manga. Or some other anime. Or a game. Or whatever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
I might watch their streams if the quality is fine, but I was honestly thinking about dropping Shikabane Hime anyway.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

In that case, you have never seen a proper fansub. If you honestly call the difference minor, then that's the conclusion I can make.

This made me think of the people who leave comments for fansubbers like "your encode is too grainy! stop fansubbing if you can't encode properly!"

Honestly, I don't expect high quality video from something I'm getting for free.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Hang on and watch episode 2. You get a better sense of what the show is about in episode 2. The pacing is much better and you get a better feeling for who the charaters are. (If fact, I base my interest in a show more towards eps 2-4 instead of ep 1.)

Watch for the impalement in episode 2. My back was hurting after I saw that.

Lance,

Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

Yeah, I think I might watch one more ep just to see what the show is like. I do generally skip over most of the horror offerings, just because in generally the themes can get redundant, but hell that's the case with most story lines/genres... Wink I do want to support this effort though, in the hopes that it can and will lead to bigger and better things in the future.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Licensing anime like this my friends is looking like the future for the US anime industry. licensing something before it even hits Japan is the only way the US are guaranteed to cash in on an anime series. Of course the only risk involved is that it could be a complete flop, but even if that’s true, there wouldn’t be added costs like publishing disks and art boxes involved, so in the long run it would be most profitable.

In the end we will all be forced to wave goodbye to fan subs…
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I guess this a subjective thing. To me, comparing the downloadable version of Crunchyroll's Druaga stream (I've save the month-long-hassle of actually paying for it for later), the downloadable version from Bost, and a simple HD fansub, the fansub won hands-down in terms of video quality. If the comparison was to something like youtube, or even Hulu's streaming, the quality gap would be far wider.

Quote:
I read these comments from people who basically say "I'll only watch it once and maybe not even finish it" yet they are demanding so much in terms of specifics. They want a product tailor-made to their specifications, for free, that they might not even watch more than once. The way I see it, that's unreasonable to say the least.
The point is, that 'unreasonable' demand is what is already in existence with fansubs. To expect a company with massively greater resources, funds, and access to the source material than the fans to at the very least be able to match their efforts seems fairly reasonable to me.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
To expect a company with massively greater resources, funds, and access to the source material than the fans to at the very least be able to match their efforts seems fairly reasonable to me.

While I also expect the companies to be able to at least match fansubs quality wise, I think you're overstating things a bit with regard to resources. We're talking the anime industry here, not hollywood. They are not huge companies, and especially in the case of American licensors we're talking about some serious low head counts and thin margins. Everytime any numbers come out on ANN I'm always amazed that they can even survive at all. And of course no company is going to be as efficient as a bunch of dedicated hobbyists.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Re: video quality.

A lot of the problem probably isn't a lack of ability or desire on the English speaking companies' part. I'd imagine the Japanese side is requiring lower quality for R1 streams and downloads most if not all of the time. Or, in the case of Xam'd, they make the English version inferior in other ways.

I believe the R1 companies would like to do better and I certainly believe they have the ability to do so. I think they are just being handicapped by stubborn Japanese companies.

lheiskell wrote:
Sakurachan1 wrote:
Interesting, too bad it's a title I have no long term interest in. I saw episode 1, and just wasn't drawn in, but the horror genre has always been hit or miss with me.

Hang on and watch episode 2. You get a better sense of what the show is about in episode 2. The pacing is much better and you get a better feeling for who the charaters are. (If fact, I base my interest in a show more towards eps 2-4 instead of ep 1.)

Watch for the impalement in episode 2. My back was hurting after I saw that.

Lance,

Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

I found the first episode to be rather boring, but this gives me a bit of hope for the series. I'll at least look into Hulu or Joost for another episode or two, though I will probably just wait for the DVDs for the rest.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
A lot of the problem probably isn't a lack of ability or desire on the English speaking companies' part. I'd imagine the Japanese side is requiring lower quality for R1 streams and downloads most if not all of the time. Or, in the case of Xam'd, they make the English version inferior in other ways.

I believe the R1 companies would like to do better and I certainly believe they have the ability to do so. I think they are just being handicapped by stubborn Japanese companies.

I think you raise a valid point here. I do get the feeling that this process of making series available simultaneously has been hampered by our mates in Japan. I don't think there is anything negative behind it - however, I do think money is the underlying factor.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
I found the first episode to be rather boring, but this gives me a bit of hope for the series. I'll at least look into Hulu or Joost for another episode or two, though I will probably just wait for the DVDs for the rest.

Geez guys the way some of you are going on about "video" quality I'd swear we were back in the days of Beta Max & LP size video discs. Be happy things are moving forward - I recall the days when you could only get stuff in China Town and @ mini cons.
Wellness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
I hope the time frame for the streams isn't to short. I would hate for it to be posted on Friday morning and be pulled by Saturday.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
First they say "I want to see it for free!"

Then it's "I want to see if for free in HD!"

Next it will be "I want to be paid to watch it for free in HD!" Rolling Eyes

On the other side of things, the side that pays for anime, I'm pretty darn okay with all of this. This announcement expands things from just Funimation's YouTube channel and seems to mark it as a proper license. (So DVDs are now expected.) Very good indeed.

Amazingly, I'm not all that vexed by the possibility that it might not be in HD. SD didn't suddenly start looking horrible just because HD came about.

I agree. Who cares if the show is SD or HD? Anyway, I have feeling that those people who expressed above first 3 sentences are spoiled brats don't even bother to find jobs while leeching off from their parents.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Mevious wrote:
I'd be delightfully shocked if they managed to dub it that quickly, too.

It's subtitled only. No dub.

Richard J. wrote:

First, I'm pretty sure Mevious was referring to someone else's comment about seeing this dubbed on DVD in a month... there's no way the dub could be made and a DVD released that fast.

Second, I'd guess Richard J. was saying that the quality differences were "quite minor" as an "issue" not in "amount of quality difference". If you're getting it illegally for free in HD or legally for free in SD, it shouldn't matter the quality, get it legally (if it's available to you). If you want better quality, pay for an HD download option, or buy the video release.

As for wanting Shikabane in HD, do you people asking for that even know what HD is? It's native resolution, not upscaling. Shikabane HD releases or blatantly upscaled, just like Strike Witches. This show would probably look best at 640x360, or at most 704x400.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
And now FUNi is asking places to remove torrents of the show so that only their shitty quality release will be the only one to watch.

I'm still under the impression that they think any show Gainax makes will be an Eva, FLCL, or Gurren Lagann. Gainax has made utter crap before, and they will again.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And now FUNi is asking places to remove torrents of the show so that only their shitty quality release will be the only one to watch.

And this is somehow unreasonable because...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Second, I'd guess Richard J. was saying that the quality differences were "quite minor" as an "issue" not in "amount of quality difference". If you're getting it illegally for free in HD or legally for free in SD, it shouldn't matter the quality, get it legally (if it's available to you). If you want better quality, pay for an HD download option, or buy the video release.
You prove yourself a wise person with this post. Exactly what I was going for. At least for me personally, video quality is a rather minor issue for a free stream. (It's not even that big with me for DVDs, so long as it doesn't affect my ability to watch the show, I don't care if it's SD or HD.)

I will add that contrary to mulrich's assumption, I have seen some very well-done fansubs. Extremely clear video and wonderfully done subtitles with great effort paid to make them properly fitting for the series. It doesn't change the fact that the issue is just not one of my priorities.

Leebo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And this is somehow unreasonable because...
It's unreasonable for him because he wants to keep watching the fansubs of course. Why else would he be annoyed by a company actually trying to enforce it's legal rights and maybe make a little money?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5