• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shikabane Hime: AKA Acquisition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Why else would he be annoyed by a company actually trying to enforce it's legal rights and maybe make a little money?

Because in doing so they prevent him from watching something of higher video quality with shorter time lag? Or maybe he disagrees with the concept of IP or current copyright law? Really, you yourself go on about your priorities, why is it so hard to extend that to others?

That said it's kind of a waste of time to criticize Funi for any kind of cease and desist action. Whether you agree with the law or not, Funi is a corporation and is going to use the law to enhance their revenue.

And further, why do people on ANN so enjoy insulting the leeches who want the world for free, to the point of derailing threads? Such people are obviously contemptible, but really, what the heck is the point of continually posting about them? Now I can easily skip over whining if I don't want to see it, but people seem to continually ignore any other possibilities and arguments just so they can characterize everyone with different priorities as leeches... and call them names over and over. Yeah yeah, internet and all that. Sad
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
That was fast - I'll get to see it on Friday? Thats good considering I was curious about this show. It sounds like something that I whould like, though everything I heard about the show has been negative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
houkoholic wrote:

Not true, both Funimation and Gonzo's free streams are IP-blocked for the Japan region at the very least.

Of course, Japanese licensors want to keep on with their protectionism to the point of absurdity.
And I don't see any reason to be excited. GAINAX show, and from what I've seen it's pretty bad too, much like most of their shows (yes, even Gurren Lagann).

0/10

Leebo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And now FUNi is asking places to remove torrents of the show so that only their shitty quality release will be the only one to watch.

And this is somehow unreasonable because...

A recent court case in... Malaysia or something, idk. Established that only the original creator of the work is allowed to enforce anything concerning it. I think this should be the standard.

Some people are very concerned with companies trying to strong-arm everything they can to gain money. Look at Wall Street. Look at what they are considering to do to the internet, all in the name of "IP" and "copyright" and "money." Instead of "adapt or die" it's becoming "suppress and suffer, then suppress more"

whoops, kinda went off on a tangent there.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="bugmenot2"][quote="ximpalullaorg"]
houkoholic wrote:

And this is somehow unreasonable because...

A recent court case in... Malaysia or something, idk. Established that only the original creator of the work is allowed to enforce anything concerning it. I think this should be the standard.
/quote]

But FUNimation has the permission of the companies that it enforces. Its too expensive for a company in Japan to worry about how things are being distributed other places. By licensing a show, FUNimation is given the right to protect their interests, their copy of the show - which basically works on their behalf and the behalf of the company they've licensed the show from. (There are some shows that FUNimation is only doing the enforcement for at the moment and hasn't actually licensed, for example). I don't think that its unreasonable for them to halt illegally copies of the work they have the rights to, especially if they're putting out the legal copies themselves - and on the internet no less!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5