• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Funimation putting anime on YouTube?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delpheno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Why is Funimation putting anime on YouTube? Just a way to advertise or what? I mean they are putting up whole series, here.

[EDIT: Changed "animes" -> "anime"; it's a singular/plural noun.~Zalis]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Umm, because they have the right to do so, and they own all of the footage that they put up? And also, it promotes their stuff. You can watch their stuff on Youtube all you want but if you want all the nice goodies that come with the DVDs, you really don't have a choice now, do you. Their channel is their so that we or they don't have to point fingers at everybody who proudly declare that they watch fansubs on youtube. Funimation Channel on Youtube
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
People will still want to buy the DVDs because:

A) This is Youtube quality we're talking here.
B) I assume all the episodes are dub-only, so anyone interested in the sub will have to buy the DVD.

That being said, you'd think they would only put up a few episodes for each series. I mean, good grief, ALL of Slayers?!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It's advertising. It's not like watching it on YouTube is ideal, but it provides people the ability to see if the series is really one they're going to want to spend the money on to see it on their home theaters.

Yeah, it aids freeloaders, but they'd just download fansubs anyways. Plus, anime doesn't have a television option like domestic series' do, this provides a legal alternative for people who just want to see it but don't want to buy. I mean, let's face it, we all have shows we probably watch when they're on, but aren't going to pick up on DVD. Anime doesn't offer that, you either steal it or you buy it, there's no inbetween. Funi is providing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I mean, let's face it, we all have shows we probably watch when they're on, but aren't going to pick up on DVD. Anime doesn't offer that, you either steal it or you buy it, there's no inbetween.
There is renting, which I need to get into myself, but I guess that also falls under "spending money." Greg Ayres was talking at Sogencon about Funi's Youtube initiatives, and mentioned a boob-laden trailer for the Negima Spring/Summer OVAs was getting high viewer numbers on YT. He then went on to say that the pre-order numbers for it were ahead of the Claymore numbers. So maybe this YT advertising really does work. I know I eventually did buy every show I saw any of on ADV's VOD network. I've always wondered about the apparent "exposure conundrum" though. In the industry's words, TV exposure on [as] and such helps sales, whereas exposure through "other means" hurts them, even though the net effect of either one is "people have seen the show before the DVD release." With a broadcast airing, TivO/DVR (heck, even a good old VHS recorder) can create re-watchable copies, so it's not just the "convenience factor" of downloaded anime at work here.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Some media companies have their own official channels on Youtube. All the major record labels, for example, have channels where you can watch music videos by their artists.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I got no problem with it at all. I've never fully watched any episodes of their shows on You Tube. I just tend to watch long enough to get a feel of what the dub is like. There's literally billions of places online to find the subs, be it legal or otherwise. So I consider it nice that they chose to do this, I think I barely watched more than 4 or 5 minutes of the first episode of Rumbling Hearts before I decided to put it on my target list of anime that I wanted to buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a great way to potentially pick up more sales myself. There are one or two series up there right now that I'm rather curious about but would never buy sight-unseen; if I ever get around to watching them, FUNi might wind up making a few more bucks off of me.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I got no problem with it at all. I've never fully watched any episodes of their shows on You Tube. I just tend to watch long enough to get a feel of what the dub is like. There's literally billions of places online to find the subs, be it legal or otherwise. So I consider it nice that they chose to do this, I think I barely watched more than 4 or 5 minutes of the first episode of Rumbling Hearts before I decided to put it on my target list of anime that I wanted to buy.

Ah. See I'm in the other camp with that one. I'm very happy I got to watch it, but I wouldn't spend money to own it. By contrast, I saw more of Mushi-Shi via Funimation's Youtube venue, and I WILL be buying the box of that one in December.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't entirely get it. As far as I can tell they make no revenue from people watching their shows on youtube. That leads me to believe that they would be better off to just stream the first few episodes. The only real advantage is that it gives people an option other than resorting to fansubs which might help in the long term. Not if unless at some point they start buying DVDs though.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
I mean, let's face it, we all have shows we probably watch when they're on, but aren't going to pick up on DVD. Anime doesn't offer that, you either steal it or you buy it, there's no inbetween.
There is renting, which I need to get into myself, but I guess that also falls under "spending money." Greg Ayres was talking at Sogencon about Funi's Youtube initiatives, and mentioned a boob-laden trailer for the Negima Spring/Summer OVAs was getting high viewer numbers on YT. He then went on to say that the pre-order numbers for it were ahead of the Claymore numbers. So maybe this YT advertising really does work. I know I eventually did buy every show I saw any of on ADV's VOD network. I've always wondered about the apparent "exposure conundrum" though. In the industry's words, TV exposure on [as] and such helps sales, whereas exposure through "other means" hurts them, even though the net effect of either one is "people have seen the show before the DVD release." With a broadcast airing, TivO/DVR (heck, even a good old VHS recorder) can create re-watchable copies, so it's not just the "convenience factor" of downloaded anime at work here.

Renting is usually the path I take before I decided if I want to purchase a series or not. I haven't always done this though. The most recent series that I bought without renting it ahead if time was Lucky Star. I watched an fansub episode before it came out in the United States, but this is not my preferred method of previewing a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
And the thing that no one ever brings up are programs that let you rip the flash video from streams. What then?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah, I don't entirely get it. As far as I can tell they make no revenue from people watching their shows on youtube.

They make some revenue with advertising, though, I don't expect it to be much.

doctordoom85 wrote:
I mean, good grief, ALL of Slayers?!

Laughing

I'm watching that series bit by bit. I'm liking it enough that I will buy it sometime in the future, so it's not that big of a deal in my case.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
I mean, good grief, ALL of Slayers?!

Laughing

I'm watching that series bit by bit. I'm liking it enough that I will buy it sometime in the future, so it's not that big of a deal in my case.

They're basically paying you to own the series. Can you say 27 bucks per season at TRSI? (NON sale price!) That's USD1.04 per episode. Nuckin' Futs.

EDIT: won =/= own
EDIT 2: Tags.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
They're basically paying you to won the series. Can you say 27 bucks per season at TRSI? (NON sale price!) That's USD1.04 per episode. Nuckin' Futs.

Yu Yu Hakusho Seasons 1 and 2 (28 episodes each) are $25 at Best Buy. That's LESS than a doller per episode. Needless to say, I bought the first two and am eagerly anticipating the remaining two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2