• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Manga Series to Return in Japan in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I hope it's a sequel about Kenji going around butchering people and Shinya (Yahiko and Tsubame's son) having to stop him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
whats up with japan having old mangas with perfect endings continue? first shaman king now kenshin. oh well maybe im just judging too quickly but since i love kenshin (still wish for a anime version of the jinchuu arc) i'll probably read this. i guess spoiler[it could show kenshins and kaorus son and what the other characters have been doing since the last arc.]

I personally, don't mind it. It's a great way to introduce old series to the newer generation. I look forward to the new Kenshin!
Karlmann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It should be a good read provided they don't re-hash older stories and plot points. I have to wonder though if they will eventually reboot the anime series as well, even with the new OVA's coming out.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
as the artical says, the coming chapters may not be a "reboot" in the english sense, so I wouldn't hold out on it being a remake/sequal.

Personally, my money's on a side-story of some kind
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
battousai47 wrote:

Was the Jinchu Arc wrong? You do realise we're talking about the manga...

Another idea is a look back at Kenshin's time during the war. We never got to really seem him as Hitokiri Battousai, but then again I can see where people would argue against that idea Rolling Eyes

Well, I should have mentioned that I just hope it drums up interest enough to see an adaptation of the Jinchu arc.

And again, we GOT Kenshin's past as the Battousai during the Bakumatsu. There wouldn't be any point in going back to that again.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say about this, except it came out of nowhere. 12 years after the manga ended he'll be going back to it.

Nice how Kenshin is starting to be all over the place 15 years after the anime started. We had the BD's, the live-action movie announced, the new Kyoto arc adaption, and now Nobuhiro Watsuki returning to the manga.

Don't know what to say really, despite the fact I became a big Kenshin fan this year. What was I missing out on all those years ago?Sad

I still have yet to read the manga (I've only seen Trust & Betrayal, Reflection, and the first 75 episodes of the TV series.), so I don't know how this will turn out. Also, can someone enlighten me on what the Jinchuu arc is?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
probably just few chapters of side stories like the new dbz manga.
Chowing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I have faith in Watsuki that he'll do good things with the series. It's kinda unbelievable after 12 years, no one ever suspected it...
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I still have yet to read the manga (I've only seen Trust & Betrayal, Reflection, and the first 75 episodes of the TV series.), so I don't know how this will turn out. Also, can someone enlighten me on what the Jinchuu arc is?

The Jinchuu arc is the final arc of the manga. It came after the Kyoto arc and was where we learned about Tomoe, Enishi in the manga. It was never properly adapted in an anime because the anime caught up too fast to it, which is why in the TV series we got all those crazy filler arcs after Kyoto. The OVAs adapted the part about Kenshin's past but only gave us bare minimum of the actual arc itself. That's why people want the actual arc adapted, because we have so little of it animated and what we do have isn't at all satisfactory in terms of adaption (with the exception of Trust & Betrayal).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I THINK I JUST CAME. Shocked
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Please, please let it be just a one volume side story or something! Rurouni Kenshin is over and done, with a very satisfying ending. There's nothing about it that requires a "reboot"!

sainta wrote:
In various volumes, Watsuki mentioned he had to modify the Rurouni Kenshin manga a bit as the plot was getting darker and it was aimed at a young audience. This resulted spoiler[in the most controversial plot twists from the comic where Kaoru was supposed to die, but was later revealed to be alive in order to have a happy ending.]

I don't have the manga at me atm but IIRC spoiler[Kaoru's "death"] wasn't a case of Watsuki being pressured into spoiler[not killing her off so the story would be suitable for a younger audience. It's more like Watsuki himself wanted his manga to have a happy end, and seeing how the story developed not killing Kaoru off made lots of sense.]
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I love, love love, Rurouni Kenshin. But the manga ended a decade ago, and had a concluded end. Why continue it? On the one hand, a lot of the anime that has come out of Japan has been stale to me, and it's nice to see an old favorite come out and show what real good anime is.
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Watsuki will do the story about Kenji and Shinya and their rivalry to be the last master of Mitsurugi.
RZion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
In 'Free Talk 1' in volume 28, Watsuki-sensei does mention having had an idea for an arc set in Hokkaido after the Jinchuu arc. Perhaps this 'reboot' will be based off of ideas he had composed for that.
Doktor1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Rorouni Kenshin Kai Ultimate: Brotherhood Voyage the manga: The Anime.

Season 2.

Lolol'd
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3