• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - MUCC: Shion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I've had this album since the day it came out and fell in love with it right away. It is a lot different from their typical stuff At first I was not too keen on it but the more I listened to the album, the more I liked it. It will be available for those of us in the US in late November from Hot Topic (if you don't want to spend the 30 bucks to have it shipped from japan). MUCC is not for everyone but for those that like a good rock song, this band might suit your palate.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
SO much love for MUCC and Shion~ I've adored FUZZ since the single dropped and between great singles like Libra and more adventurous experiments like Anjelier, this CD is 110% awesomeness to me~

Despite the fact that I disagree with what you've identified as negative points, overall this was a pretty nice, thoughtful review. However:
Quote:
It seems like MUCC wanted to experiment with some different sounds, which took up the first half of the album. Then they went to a more traditional sound in the second half. While it is obvious that all of the band members are talented musicians, they seem to be looking in the wrong directions for change. They shouldn't be heading down the road to electronica, they should be heading toward either some softer rock songs or into a heavier metal sound.

My only argument with this statement is to say that MUCC has already been down those roads :) Earlier albums have a LOT of heavy metal influence and they've certainly done their share of soft rock (to me, Ryuusei and Saishuu Ressha are two great, fairly recent examples). They're notorious for experimenting with all kinds of musical styles, so I would suggest potential fans not to get discouraged if they don't dig the more electronica-inspired stuff. A quick listen to their recent Ageha single proves that the band still knows its roots :)

I also think your so-called "filters" are mostly reverb. You'd be hard pressed to find a produced CD that DOESN'T employ reverb. Also... Flight? Which is free of "filters"? Vocals, guitar and bass all are reverbed~ :D

Like I said, I respect your opinion. But since this is a musical column, I feel like you should try to employ more relevant vocabulary. That's just my two cents :) Thanks for writing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1