• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-10-29

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, I love that...
maybe because I've never been able to sit through Mad Max...
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
OK that settles it this guy is obviously one of these people who's seen nothing aside from HnK thinks that its the "ultimate manly action experience" and anyone who disagrees with him is a little girl.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Mad Max was a great film I thought.

But it was an Australian film, not American. Unless I am going completely bonkers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

But it was an Australian film, not American. Unless I am going completely bonkers.

SHHHHH!!! Bad enough Nina giggled at him, revealing stuff like that will result in an all-out freakout from the guru.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
But it was an Australian film, not American.

Wikipedia agrees with you. Oops..

Too much brawn, too little brains?

Btw, I wonder when we'll see Paola and Myoopi again. The latest Chicks On Anime reminded me of her.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thus bringing forth the eternal question: Did Nina laugh at the guru because she doesn't share his opinion of Mad Max? Or because he loves the movie so much but doesn't know what country it's from?
leatherman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, seeing as the sequel was retitled The Road Warrior when it reached US theaters, I would have to say that she was giggling at the idea of Mad Max being a great film. Personally, I love it, it's not as good as the road warrior, and I do like Beyond Thunderdome better as well, but it's part of the trilogy. It shows that Max wasn't always a self-centered drifter, but introduces his decent into darkness.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

SHHHHH!!! Bad enough Nina giggled at him, revealing stuff like that will result in an all-out freakout from the guru.

Oh boy, I think he heard you..... RUN FOR YOU LIFE!!!!

Laughing too funny...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Guru wrote:
WE'RE DONE HERE.
That has to be the epic line of this comic strip. Such rage in that face, such pure hot-blooded passion. That was just awesome.

Actually, it sounds like Nina learned some really important lessons this time around. I especially loved the whole thing about still being able to get up and fight after the bones and organs are splinters and spittle. Every hero at some point seems to do this. (And boy do we love them for it.)

The question is, can Nina now use these abilities herself, like she did after the shojo panel way back in strip # 7? And will we ever learn what Kevin learned to do at the hentai panel? Twisted Evil
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hoo, hurts when a little girl has been scared all this time of you and then she's going to laugh at you for something you have always believed in. Yikes!
Greggo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
leatherman wrote:
I do like Beyond Thunderdome better as well, but it's part of the trilogy.

[Crow] Come off it, Joel. Can't we get BEYOND Thunderdome? [/Crow]
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
leatherman: The second film's Road Warrior. The first film's still Mad Max. But I'd like to see the reaction from that guy if Nina said, "You mean that old Mel Gibson movie from the guy behind Happy Feet and Babe?" Wink Laughing
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing that Nina got out of there. The guru was probably on the brink of suggestively slicing up her clothes ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

I think Nina giggled because he thought Mad Max was great. She tried to hold it in at first... I suspect the Guru enjoyed the M.D. Geist OVA's on Ani-Monday too. Nina covered all the action tropes & did well, IMHO. But I think she knows there are strong women in action anime too... she was smart not to bring that up, though. Wink
Maybe Nina will exhibit her "action powers" later... & Kevin was kidding about what he learned to do at the hentai panel!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
We had to watch Mad Max in International Film class years ago, the current topic was on Aussie films.

I remember after the film, we had a discussion about it. A bunch of people started commenting on how tragic and sad the scene of the dog hanging dead in the tree was. They kept going on and on about the dog that I finally cut in and said, "Yeah, forget the dead baby. They killed the dog!"

Then we watched the Last Castle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4