• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh My Goddess' Fujishima to Launch Paradise Residence Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
If you can't something nice don't say anything at all ...

Ever since Studio Proteus sold out to Dark Horse Comics, the translation for the series has been awful, committing new translations to the earlier works done by Toren Smith. It's just sad that Toren Smith sold out ...

Are these quotes really part of the same posting? I would like to ask what you mean by saying that Toren Smith sold out. That expression, which you used twice, is usually taken to mean that someone betrayed their principles.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the mag will be pretty cool, with big names headlining it like that. Apparently, they don't have enough Manga magazines in Japan already xD

Eiji Nonaka...is writing a horror anthology? o.o wow. I'm impressed. And surprised.

(I love how the current discussion has degraded into an argument about translation and problems thereof, specifically with Dark Horse and their kin. -.-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My apologies, Mr. Horn. I've spoke top a lot of fans of the Oh My Goddess Unflipped series and for the most part, they're happy with it and so am I. It just seemed rather odd that Dark Horse didn't include a translation guide for Peorth speaking French in volume 21 and that she didn't speak French in the original version.

I wasn't referring that Toren sold out out in the traditional sense. I just found it odd that Dark Horse re-translated those earlier chapters while still crediting the original translation team ...

I think you've done a remarkable job with the unflipped editions but my main point, as someone else started me on this tangent, was that certain aspects of the original dialogue were left out of the new translation.

Studio Proteus, in particular, Toren Smith, is remembered as the one who believed in the AMG series and that there had been mistakes made during the earlier publication of the manga series.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm no basing my ideas on the US version . I'm basing them on the Italian adaptation, that has been going on far longer than Dark Horse version. But the lack of backgrounds isn't a figment of my imagination, and the same can be said for the now stale Keichi and Belldandy characterization, among the others.
Perhaps this manga will be a fresh start, but I doubt it.

I agree with you for the most part. A!MG is still a continously entertaining series to me,but it definitely has lost most of what made it special in the recent years and has a lot less heart and passion in it. I'm hoping Kosuke Fujishima regains his passion for making comics thanks to this new series and both series rise in quality because of it.

That being said there's WAY too much speculation going in this thread. There is NO news on any new AMG anime whatsoever and that's purely rumors. A new movie is just as unlikely as a new OVA or tv series. Considering the lack of news and how long ago the second season ended(not to mention lackluster ratings), it's unlikely to see AMG animated in any form in the near future.

Also, Darkhorse does NOT edit anything in their translations. Taking liberties with the way Peorth talks is hardly "editing" what she's saying. Editing would be changing it or covering up content that was "too adult" or something. AMG is considered an adult series so it gets no editing in english. And I'd also like to point out the rereleases translations are for the most part identical to the Studio Proteus ones. I have the older ones and I remember being disappointed that the rereleases made me buy the exact same books(early on ONLY specific names that were changed or terms were corrected/changed and ALL the dialogue was exactly the same).

Are the DHAMG translation 100% the way I want. No,but they're obviously some of the best available in english. Try reading 90% of the shabby translation-hack job Viz gives some of my favorite series. I refuse to buy those because they ACTUALLY edit the artwork and dialogue and the dialogue itself is poorly written, specifically for their flagship Shounen Jump series. I have no problem buying the DH AMG releases every two months.

I didn't want to rant but this is all rumors and opinions. Rumors and opinions that have nothing to with the actual news story. There are forums to do this in, the news story was hardly the place to blast DH and create even more unecessary speculation on a new A!MG anime.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think reasonable people can disagree on the merits of the English version of Oh My Goddess!. As Keiichi-chan notes, however, the unflopped early editions are not re-translated from scratch; they have the same credits on them because Toren Smith, Alan Gleason, and Dana Lewis's work (and that of its longtime letterer, Susie Lee) is the foundation of these new editions. Indeed, Dana Lewis (as well as Christopher Lewis) and Susie Lee are still the core people in the adaptation, just as they were with Toren for most of the "flopped era."

There's some discussion of the specific changes that will be in the "Encyclopedia" section of Oh My Goddess! Colors. But I also try to make clear that the quality of Toren's edition--which helped keep the series a success through eleven years and twenty volumes--is what made possible the opportunity to have changes in the unflopped edition. I don't regard the changes as corrections of errors, any more than I think it was an "error" for the flopped editions not to have published the color interior pages in color. Rather, Toren, Dana, and Susie's first adaptation is what allowed the existence of the second.

About the specific issue of Peorth using French; this didn't begin with Vol. 21 (the first of the unflopped editions) but with her very first appearance in the flopped volume The Fourth Goddess (which will be Vols. 11-12 of the unflopped edition). She used French again upon her return in the flopped volume Mystery Child (which will be Vols. 16-17). You are correct that Peorth didn't speak French in the original manga, but she did often speak in a highly affected manner. This mannerism, together with her emphasis on style and romance, suggested to the translator that the occasional phrase dropped in French would help convey her personality to English-speakers. There are alternate ways it could have been done, but it doesn't strike me as a bad method.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2