• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-24]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I have to say I've been impressed with One Piece as a whole (though I am 50 episodes behind Japan atm) as far as the treatment of fillers goes.

Anyways, the last show that really made me realize why I'm an anime fan? That would be Kaiba. I just might type up and e-mail the reasons too...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so... "fudged mystical endings"? Other than Lain, all those you listed had pretty comprehensible endings to me. Well, whatever. To each their own inability to understand things.

Yeah, I need to write in to this one. Cannot enthuse enough about "Baccano!".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Great column, Zac. I really enjoyed your answers this week. I found the creepy friended person especially amusing.

I also like the Fullmetal Alchemist as much as, if not more, than the original manga, though I understand, to a degree, why some folks think its an inferior adaptation.

On last week's question, I think the "plot armor" trope is a somewhat necessary element of a story. Otherwise, you'd have far shorter stories, since characters in action stories would be dead a lot sooner.

As for this week's question, it was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that restored my faith in anime after a long bout of disenchantment. And it's funny, because the franchise sort of turns on its ear and mocks the type of stories shows that led me to that funk, the generic moe programs that were flooding (and continue to flood) the market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Okay, so... "fudged mystical endings"? Other than Lain, all those you listed had pretty comprehensible endings to me. Well, whatever. To each their own inability to understand things.

add RahXephon to the 'besides' list and I can agree with you Razz .
That series was the worst in that sense: spoiler["I wish none of this ever happened" *POOF* wish granted] Rolling Eyes It seriously rendered everything that had happened throughout the series completely and utterly meaningless. But I should stop there, I tend to go off on a rather large tangent when ranting/speaking the truth about that show...

Umm, yeah... those girls that were described are definitely living in some sort of cartoon world. Listen to Zac and make new friends. Shocked

I might actually have something to say for next weeks' question, I should e-mail it in too. I was going to send in a rant about maid heroines or characters that can only speak their own name, but you know what they say; crap (doesn't) happens...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hmmm... I have to say I've been impressed with One Piece as a whole (though I am 50 episodes behind Japan atm) as far as the treatment of fillers goes.

Anyways, the last show that really made me realize why I'm an anime fan? That would be Kaiba. I just might type up and e-mail the reasons too...

I actually like the filler in One Piece as well, its exactly what filler should be, extra stories not in the manga.

and I agree that the FMA manga and anime go hand in hand as both are just as good. Although i did hear that had a lot to do with Hiromu Arakawa's involvement in the script.

and as for this weeks question, well i already sent my response.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
My answer to this week's question; Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. After watching the first four episodes on YouTube, I was in heaven. Needless to say, I watched all the rest, then downloaded the entire first season. The combination of Mecha, politics, supernatural, school life, and everything-else-in-between, just hooked me.

I am currently waiting for the DVDs to get over here; don't worry, I do buy Anime that I love. I'm not a total leecher.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ironically, the last show that comes to mind that got me all worked up was those old Gaiarth VHS I got from Amazon a few months back. I dunno, maybe new shows are too 'shiny' for me to get really into anymore... or maybe I just need to find a new cute blond to stare at- I mean, I really don't think Id've enjoyed that copy of Yukikaze from Big Lots near as much if it weren't for Jack... Laughing
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Okay, here's my $0.02:

Anime better than the manga: I don't read nearly as much manga as I watch anime, but I will say this--some of us actually liked the Hellsing TV series, myself included. However, I was pissed off at how Air Gear ended (Didn't even end--it just stopped). Why aren't there laws banning such bad endings?

Creepy fangirls: I went to school with some girl who had a crush on Broly from Dragon Ball Z, but she didn't seem nearly as creepy as the "that girls" I see on the series of tubes known as the interwebs.

Flake: I could come up with a better flake than that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Chobits, Chi does a Pinocchio and turns into a real girl at the end

Wait.... was this the same Chobits I was watching? 0_o
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Neil Ford on this one. I find it really annoying when you have a nice, thoughtful series with lots of mystery which totally botches its ending. It seems to be very difficult for the creators of such shows to find a way to sanely explain what's actually been going on and give any kind of mystical explanation without veering off into nonsense.

Now, I have to disagree at least somewhat with regards to Last Exile (I think that the ending for that show was quite good), but I do agree that they didn't entirely explain things as they should have. Most of the explanation about the ship and Earth and such comes from extra materials that came with the DVD and such.

As for the others he mentioned, I think that the top of the list of those needing better endings with proper explanations are Evangelion and RahXephon. Evangelion botched it so badly that they had to come back for a second try and there they managed to do better but still botched it (albeit it in a different manner). RahXephon was so close to getting it right, but that ending had so little to do with what was going on in the show normally that it was baffling, and while it seemed like it should make sense, it didn't. The movie's alternate telling did slightly better (it certainly had better explanations), but it didn't quite manage it either.

Really, botched endings can do a surprising amount to ruin a series and there are far too many shows which are close to being great which botch their endings. And those which try for mystical endings tend to be the worst of the bunch.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait.... was this the same Chobits I was watching? 0_o

Chobits was uber complicated.

Something about there were two persocon girls, Freya and Chii (I can't remember her actual name). So, like Freya fell in love with the 'father' or something that was creepy and then something happened where the 'father' combined (personality-wise or something?) Freya and Chii.

I dunno, been an uber long time since I saw Chobits, but it wasn't as simple as Chii becoming a "real girl".[/quote]
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Yay! You totally should, so I don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
That "friend" has some real issues if she is skipping classes JUST to stare at a guy. Definitely should see a shrink or something, that reminds me of that one girl who chased me across the country in Japan.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Aw, my submission about how much I despise Nymphomaniac Teachers didn't make it. Surely I'm not the only one?
Kimyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm sick of that cliche where the main character is running to school, either with a piece of toast dangling from his/her mouth or yelling, "I'm late! I'm late!" Then they bump into and argue with some strange person, and when they get to school, the strange person just happens to be the new transfer student! Ooh, what a surprise! Rolling Eyes

Ironically, I just bought a Near x Mello doujinshi that starts with this exact same cliche. Laughing But it's okay when they do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7