• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers to Produce Live-Action Ninja Scroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I don't like this anime. Although I wouldn't quite deem it worthy of being 'raped', there are other things set to be remade for me to be concerned about.

As for Watchmen, what I've seen of it in the trailer doesn't seem to have the off-putting colour scheme of the comic. The special effects I saw in it were of a typically high quality, but somehow not as believable as when they were presented through static drawings. I can only hope there's more to the film than expensive visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
I don't believe it.

There are over 9000 anime that have been picked up by Hollywood these past years, and only Dragonball and Speed Racer have progressed.

I don't believe it. HOLLYWOOD, WHAT KIND OF MASSIVE JOKE ARE YOU PULLING just licensing movie rights and NEVER TOUCHING THEM AGAIN. D:
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Speed Racer only made it because of the Wachowskis. Dragonball got the green light only because of the anime's massive popularity, and I'm quite sure the producers have already regretted it tenfold.

minakichan wrote:
I don't believe it. HOLLYWOOD, WHAT KIND OF MASSIVE JOKE ARE YOU PULLING just licensing movie rights and NEVER TOUCHING THEM AGAIN. D:

Oh, they're touching them all right. What I don't understand is why they're touching only those shows that would never work in live-action (except maybe Cowboy Bebop which would then be declareda Serenity/Firefly rip-off). If the Ninja Scroll project survives the planning stages they would still have to remove most of the sex and violence, and I'm sure that they'll Americanize it to some extent.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Part of me is really excited by this news and the other part of me says this will be an epic failure.

We shall see what happens.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Why doesn't Hollywood ever try to make movies from anime that are actually somewhat based in reality and could be easily tranlated to live action? Sheesh. There are many interesting titles that could be done more impressivly than Ninja scroll or Dragonball.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
DiCaprio must be quite an anime fan. Akira and Ninja Scroll?
Oh... wait, everyone has seen those.

Not me. Laughing I have watched Akira, but not Ninja Scroll. My local Blockbuster has it, so I guess I should give it a try now that there's a live-action movie coming out.

This should be interesting, as are all live-action movies adapted from anime. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
all I have to say about the idea of making a live action version of ninja scroll is as such. Shit shall hit the fan and everyone will need face masks
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Speed Racer only made it because of the Wachowskis. Dragonball got the green light only because of the anime's massive popularity, and I'm quite sure the producers have already regretted it tenfold.

minakichan wrote:

Oh, they're touching them all right. What I don't understand is why they're touching only those shows that would never work in live-action (except maybe Cowboy Bebop which would then be declareda Serenity/Firefly rip-off). If the Ninja Scroll project survives the planning stages they would still have to remove most of the sex and violence, and I'm sure that they'll Americanize it to some extent.
didn't cowboy bebop come out Before firefly? so wheres the logic of calling it a rip off of firefly when firefly came out after cowboy bebop?
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
didn't cowboy bebop come out Before firefly? so wheres the logic of calling it a rip off of firefly when firefly came out after cowboy bebop?

It did, but people who are not into anime don't know that. I've seen people dismissing Bebop as a "Firefly rip-off" without knowing which one came first. Similar to how so many people think that the opening sequence of the Ghost in the Shell movie is a Matrix rip-off.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

It did, but people who are not into anime don't know that. I've seen people dismissing Bebop as a "Firefly rip-off" without knowing which one came first. Similar to how so many people think that the opening sequence of the Ghost in the Shell movie is a Matrix rip-off.
well that explains it, sometimes people should do research into what they're about to bad mouth
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
this one can work if they can get some one who knows what he doing
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Why doesn't Hollywood ever try to make movies from anime that are actually somewhat based in reality and could be easily tranlated to live action? Sheesh. There are many interesting titles that could be done more impressivly than Ninja scroll or Dragonball.

Examples? I'm not sure people are clamoring for a live-action adaptation of Kanon or Air.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
chicken: I thought the franchise was already ruined by that tv show. Laughing But yeah, I have more confidence in that Onimusha movie than NS.

minaki: What's been done to DB isn't what I'd call "progress". Wink
But projects do get licensed and shelved all the time in Hollywood. X Men alone took about three years, just to get off the ground.

posterior: Because CG might mean the big bucks.

SSJ Gohan:
Quote:
I'm not sure people are clamoring for a live-action adaptation of Kanon or Air.

Well, if they can make money out of a movie called John Tucker Must Die...
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Hollywood needs to look to Japan. At least they can somewhat do live-action.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

Examples? I'm not sure people are clamoring for a live-action adaptation of Kanon or Air.

Maison Ikkoku (already made in Japan), Rose of Versailles (already made in France), Oldboy (already made in South Korea), Kare Kano, Nana (made already in Japan), Detective Conan (already made in Japan), Lone Wolf & Cub (already made in Japan).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4