• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers to Produce Live-Action Ninja Scroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I second the recommendation of Gunsmith Cats for a Live Action remake. And while we're on that route, put Black Lagoon up there too, though there have been enough Pirate stories this decade to last quite a while.

(I also wouldn't mind a JoJo movie either... Anime hyper)
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

Examples? I'm not sure people are clamoring for a live-action adaptation of Kanon or Air.

Maison Ikkoku (already made in Japan), Rose of Versailles (already made in France), Oldboy (already made in South Korea), Kare Kano, Nana (made already in Japan), Detective Conan (already made in Japan), Lone Wolf & Cub (already made in Japan).

You're Under Arrest, Great Teacher Onizuka, Black Jack, Negima!, that disowned G-Savoiur Movie, Wild 7, Golgo 13.....
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The only one I want directing Ninja Scroll is Ryuhei Kitamura. [Well, ok, maybe that 300 guy too...] I'm surprised that the rights went to WB, though, since I remember the company which produced MK was supposed to be doing it. Interesting idea, but unless they're at least willing to go 300 with it, it won't work. And the American film industry doesn't need to rape the original, since MadHouse already ruined it with that half-assed tv show. But, hey, there's always a chance for them to turn it into another Chun Li or Last Samurai. Rolling Eyes I imagine the company got the rights, since it figured it was way in over its head with Akira, and they figured Ninja Scroll will cost less.

Props on knowing who Kitamura is. I wonder what you mean by "doing 300" with it though. Are you saying this should be a CG background affair, or that they should maintain a high quotia of blood on screen?

I agree about Akira. In fact, it seems like many of the movies Hollywood wants to adapt are so good to begin with (Internal Affairs for example) that they have the wind in their faces trying to remake them. I mean, where is the value in remaking what many of us acknowledge as TIMELESS classics?

I guess you could point out that the new Dawn of the Dead wasn't so bad (also courtesy of Zack Snyder, oho). But this is also a shift in art form, and I really wonder at what exactly there is to be expanded upon or rebooted for a new generation - especially considering the culture gap. And Akira isn't even that old. At least DotD had 30 or so years to breathe. My gut feeling is that this is more of a personal indulgence to something these people really appreciate, and I wonder if they haven't considered just using Akira as a source of inspiration. In doing that, wouldn't there be more potential and fewer hurdles to jump?

ikillchicken wrote:
I recommend we all jump to the immediate conclusion that it will be the absolute worst thing ever and will ruin (or rape as some of you prefer) the franchise based on no actual information. Yes, I think that would be best course of action. That way we all get to spend the time until it comes out so laughing at those foolish rational folk who wait and see and say I told you so if it sucks. Best of all though, if it turns out to be good we will all be to busy enjoying an awesome movie to care that we were wrong. It's win win really.

Or if knee jerk pessimism isn't your cup of tea one could always take the stance that like most adaptations, it has the potential to be good but only assuming they give it a decent budget and don't dumb down or remove the aspects that made it good in the first place which may ar may not happen. We don't really know at this point.

Well sure people don't know what the particular films are going to be like, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say most of us have been burned once or twice in the past by shoddy remakes. Especially considering the caliber of the material these people want to take on here, it's quite the mystery as to why each and every one of us isn't excited to see the masterminds of Hollywood re-imagine some of Japan's finer moments in animation.

Don't get me wrong, I would be happily surprised to see a good Akira remake. A good MOVIE really. I'm looking forward to another one of those some time. But I'll be surprised nonetheless, because it's not quite within my sense of reality to take something like this without a small African country-full of salt.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
I second the recommendation of Gunsmith Cats for a Live Action remake. And while we're on that route, put Black Lagoon up there too, though there have been enough Pirate stories this decade to last quite a while.

(I also wouldn't mind a JoJo movie either... Anime hyper)

Yeah, I said Gunsmith Cats because of all the anime I can think of, its the one that feels closest to being like a real live-action film in the first place. They might have to make exceptions for Rally's matrix-like gun skills but otherwise I think it would actually work with little to no problems.

As far as Ninja Scroll goes, it could work as live action, but it would have to use a ton of CGI. If they really are gonna take anime series and try to make live-action movies, they can't cheap out on the budget otherwise we'll have cheesy crap that will make all those awful video game based films look like Oscar contenders. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
dewl: What I meant by doing it like 300 is keep the content intact as much as possible. But the actual style could work, too. And I didn't see either Dawn of the Dead, so I can't comment.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
dewl: And I didn't see either Dawn of the Dead, so I can't comment.

Well what are you waiting for? Go, go now, and watch them, for they are glorious.
Fun fact: The original Dawn of the Dead started my huge fear/fascination with zombies, and as such, has caused me many a sleepless night, and countless nightmares. Thanks Romero. Thanks a ton.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
didn't cowboy bebop come out Before firefly? so wheres the logic of calling it a rip off of firefly when firefly came out after cowboy bebop?

It did, but people who are not into anime don't know that. I've seen people dismissing Bebop as a "Firefly rip-off" without knowing which one came first. Similar to how so many people think that the opening sequence of the Ghost in the Shell movie is a Matrix rip-off.

And many anime fans think Yoko Kanno is so original when they haven't heard the many music she ripped off from. Razz

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

Examples? I'm not sure people are clamoring for a live-action adaptation of Kanon or Air.

Maison Ikkoku (already made in Japan), Rose of Versailles (already made in France), Oldboy (already made in South Korea), Kare Kano, Nana (made already in Japan), Detective Conan (already made in Japan), Lone Wolf & Cub (already made in Japan).

You're Under Arrest, Great Teacher Onizuka, Black Jack, Negima!, that disowned G-Savoiur Movie, Wild 7, Golgo 13.....

And many of those, the Japanese already did the live-action sucking............. so, what makes Hollywood add one more sucking any different? Laughing

LuckySeven wrote:
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:

Yeah, I said Gunsmith Cats because of all the anime I can think of, its the one that feels closest to being like a real live-action film in the first place. They might have to make exceptions for Rally's matrix-like gun skills but otherwise I think it would actually work with little to no problems.

But then, fans will complain when they don't reference Minnie May's past being a teenage blowjobbing prostitute, so there's always something to complain about. Laughing

LuckySeven wrote:
As far as Ninja Scroll goes, it could work as live action, but it would have to use a ton of CGI. If they really are gonna take anime series and try to make live-action movies, they can't cheap out on the budget otherwise we'll have cheesy crap

Like Japan does with its anime-turned-live-action films? Laughing

As for Ninja Scroll, it's not like many anime fans (read: whiny teenagers) are even familiar with it, it's so long ago (despite Sci-Fi's dub airing, unless it's popular in the interweb and fansubbed, they don't watch it). So it'll be something "new" to them without any knowledge to whine about (ignorance is bliss). Besides, ninja and monster films have been done many times, every studio probably has a book on those by now. Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And many anime fans think Yoko Kanno is so original when they haven't heard the many music she ripped off from. Razz

I've seen those so-called "ripoff" accusations, and the vast majority of the tracks they tried to compare were similar in key and genre only. So meh. Razz
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And many of those, the Japanese already did the live-action sucking............. so, what makes Hollywood add one more sucking any different? Laughing

You mock Black Jack? You shall be hurt with a harisen for that insolence....

enurtsol wrote:
As for Ninja Scroll, it's not like many anime fans (read: whiny teenagers) are even familiar with it, it's so long ago (despite Sci-Fi's dub airing, unless it's popular in the interweb and fansubbed, they don't watch it). So it'll be something "new" to them without any knowledge to whine about (ignorance is bliss). Besides, ninja and monster films have been done many times, every studio probably has a book on those by now. Laughing

Not until they find about the rape scene.....then the teenagers will get pissed.

How did that one saying go...."Never underestimate the libido of a teenager?"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Not until they find about the rape scene.....then the teenagers will get pissed.

How did that one saying go...."Never underestimate the libido of a teenager?"

Then again, the kunoichi involved is not a moe loli tsundere, so I don't think they'd go gaga over it. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
Anyway, there's no point in WB doing Akira, since that's basically what we're getting in the Day The Earth Stood Still remake.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I would like to point out, that, as a 18 year old male, i think the comment about whiny teenagers is bit presumptuous.

I have been a fan of the genre for almost 10 years now, so I've seen my fare share of anime. Just recently I saw Ninja Scroll, and loved it, mostly because of the fact that old anime(anything before this moe crap) is usually better in my opinion. I liked ninja scroll because it reminded me that anime can be just plain awesome and awful at the same time.

Lets be honest here, can they really fudge up something that wasn't that great to begin with? I can see them [expletive] with a great, well loved anime series, but Ninja Scroll? I am pretty sure anything hollywood would do would be on par, if not better than the original.

Although, even if its on par with the original, it won't have that 80's over-the-top action appeal, that i like in the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4