• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Good Smile Café to Open Branch in Taiwan on Sunday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Well I feel a bit of both surprised and sad that no one cared this news; good thing I didn't attend the press conference on 17th. I went there as a regular customer on 22nd. Pictures were allowed at all items and any moment except while playing the recorded welcoming message from seiyū.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Perhaps most of the Taiwanese fans were/are celebrating on native blogs and sites, instead.

What kind of things do they serve in the cafe anyway?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Perhaps most of the Taiwanese fans were/are celebrating on native blogs and sites, instead.

Plurk, a timeline-based community site, is very popular in Taiwan and arguably second only to Facebook. GSC has an official Plurk account and most café goers discuss it on Plurk. Besides, most Taiwanese anime/manga fans are afraid of English (shrug).

504NOSON2 wrote:
What kind of things do they serve in the cafe anyway?

QB curry rice, chowder soup, and almond jelly.
Kyoko + Sayaka's cake
Kyoko's and Mami's sweet sets
Five types of Soul Gem jellies and drinks, one character each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Plurk, a timeline-based community site, is very popular in Taiwan and
arguably second only to Facebook. GSC has an official Plurk account and most café goers discuss it on Plurk. Besides, most Taiwanese anime/manga fans are afraid of English (shrug).

Ah! I guess a combination of those two factors (those being the existence of Plurk, and native fear of English) explain the lack of rejoicing Taiwanese Otaku on ANN.

Quote:
almond jelly.
Kyoko + Sayaka's cake
Kyoko's and Mami's sweet sets
Five types of Soul Gem jellies and drinks, one character each.

Sounds fattening (nom nom nom Twisted Evil ).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Ah! I guess a combination of those two factors (those being the existence of Plurk, and native fear of English) explain the lack of rejoicing Taiwanese Otaku on ANN.

Fans with better language and data-mining skills would visit Japanese website directly; others would read new sites like GNN or aniarc. I started representing ANN far earlier than those two, but lacking local readership has brought hardships on my situation. ANN can't even rank 100,000 in Taiwan on Alexa's Regional Traffic Ranks; for the record, ANN ranks 1,667 in Singapore, 2,813 in Malaysia, 3,185 in South Korea, 3,363 in USA, 6,085 in Canada, 6,883 in Japan, and 96,785 in China.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
ANN can't even rank 100,000 in Taiwan on Alexa's Regional Traffic Ranks; for the record, ANN ranks 1,667 in Singapore, 2,813 in Malaysia, 3,185 in South Korea, 3,363 in USA, 6,085 in Canada, 6,883 in Japan, and 96,785 in China.

Well that brings up a question I've had recently: if I'm not mistaken, wasn't ANN's United States' Alexa ranking considerably higher a few years ago? (Approximately 800 something). The site's ranking is 3,363, as of today, and it's possible that I'm gravely mistaken; it's just that, I could have sworn that I remember being impressed by that ranking some years ago.

In addition, it seems as though forum activity, in general, has sharply declined, when compared to the mid-2000s; in your opinion, is this the case? I'm, also, shocked that there's such a significant disparity between the rankings of the USA and Canada (given the fact that the site's headquarters are in Montreal). Anime fandom is larger in the States, maybe?

Quote:
but lacking local readership has brought hardships on my situation.

I'm interested in what sorts of trouble it's caused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1