• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Beast War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
/sigh
more vampires and pointless romance Sad

anyway, black Lagoon was an interesting show, different, but not really that great, I thought it might be going for a "over-the-top" action film thing but the story took itself to seriously for that. While the animation was good, it wasn't spectacular.

Revy's english on the other hand was horrible, I liked that they had it bu...it was really bad. Beck had WAY better english in it, even if it was heavily accented.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because reviews like this one stained my notions going into it, but I found Kujibiki to be actually fairly tolerable, although I'd surely have dropped it in boredom if it wasn't connected to Genshiken.

It's just that it could be so much worse. It could be loud and annoying, and it's only kinda boring, thank goodness. The way the characters tend to accept the absurdities of their situation rather than freak out like straight-men sets it apart. Nobody ever brings up that Yamada is a robot, for example.

I actually think the episode about Ritsuko's birthday was actually pretty good. It's all hoary old stuff, but the execution wasn't bad.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
For every mediocre rescue title, though, there's a good one

lol no
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Jyu Oh Sei, and finding it fairly interesting, but so, so rushed. Maybe it they had spent just a bit more time developing the characters I wouldn't have found them all so one dimensional (particularly Thor, who was agonizingly frustrating throughout the later part of the series). And the ending was so unsatisfying. It does have one of the most beautiful ending themes I’ve ever seen though. At least it had good animation for the most part.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
BigBarryJazz wrote:
Supposedly her blood lacks blood-typing antigens, which I think is BS, since those are on the surface of red blood cells, which she still gives to others. Obviously, the manga creator was not a scientist.

As much as I try and fight it, the pedant in me really won't let this past. Blood that lacks any antigens (that are indeed found on the surface of blood cells), is classified as O-. They've basically taken a convoluted way to say she's a universal donor.

Oh, you're right. I had read this fan page that said that she and Usui were both Type B, which is why I called shenanigans on the antigen bit. After looking around more, though, I don't see anything official on her or Usui's blood type, so I was apparently full of crap.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
{flowing descriptions of gratuitous gore and violence}

Okay, fine, you win ... I will consider placing this series on the blind-buy list, but would still much rather Funi/Geneon work some preview magic.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
i actually like Black Lagoon 2nd barrage, i thought it was actually better (by alot) than the 1st season
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon in all it's incarnations are awesome and should be on the top of everyone's list to watch.

I also really enjoy the move to 13 episode releases, both in terms of cost and amount. This is almost perfect ( it would be really awesome if everything was released in the same fashion Gurren Lagann was by Bandai, subbed and out the door as fast as possible ).
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Oh yeah,and Black lagoon should be rental space. Cool

lol no

Fronzel wrote:

Bamboo Dong wrote:
For every mediocre rescue title, though, there's a good one

lol no

lol yes

kyokun703 wrote: wrote:
I might have to give this a roll dubbed, to see if it is one of those very rare cases (in my opinion) of a dub actually working.

I also didn't realize until Second Barrage that the DVD covers were reversible, so I had to go back to the original set and see which covers I liked best to show out.

I've seen it both subbed and dubbed, and while the sub is definitely good, I'd say the dub is a pretty big improvement.

I didn't realize that the DVD covers were reversible, either. I'll have to check them out now (although nothing beats those steelbooks).
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I haven't picked up Second Barrage yet since I own the first season and loved it! Maybe I am getting turned off by the continuing high prices Geneon charges for singles...

If you read manga, stick to that for Karin (Chibi Vampire here in the US) as it is a far sight better.

I also found Kujiun better than I expected only because my expectations were so low. The Ritsuko Birthday episode along with the somewhat surprising ending were the highlights. Still, I would have paid the discount price I paid for these DVD's (I think I paid $15 apiece) just for the Genshiken OVA's alone! and for those who don't want to, give a few months and M-B will bring out an uber cheap box set like my Kashimashi collection for only $14.99 total for the whole series! Shocked
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I realized that making dogs and flowers was infinitely more exciting than working on Powerpoint presentations. So as a result, I now have a desk covered in balloons, like some kind of circus freak.

But...but...where are the pictures!? I know you've posted pics of your workspace before (or maybe I'm thinking about Answerman's, eh, whatever). I so wanted to see the "circus freak" version. Wink Maybe next week?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Quote:
I realized that making dogs and flowers was infinitely more exciting than working on Powerpoint presentations. So as a result, I now have a desk covered in balloons, like some kind of circus freak.

But...but...where are the pictures!? I know you've posted pics of your workspace before (or maybe I'm thinking about Answerman's, eh, whatever). I so wanted to see the "circus freak" version. Wink Maybe next week?

Alas, I popped all the balloons yesterday. Actually, I angrily stabbed all of them with a pocketknife when they kept fluttering onto my laptop. My desk was that overcrowded with balloons.

If you want nerdy procrastination, here's a Barack Obama jack o'lantern I carved last Friday night.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked Karin. But I do feel bad for anyone who judges a book by its cover. Looking at the case you'd think it was a ecchi series or have some kind of yuri hints. It doesnt. Not to me it doesnt.

Honestly it plays out more like a shoujo then anything. A shoujo with a big boobed heroine.

I still liked it though. I read the manga and its better. Still very shoujo-ish. But I love shoujo so thats cool.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
If you want nerdy procrastination, here's a Barack Obama jack o'lantern I carved last Friday night.

I think this is fairly appropriate:

スゲ━━━━━━Σヾ(゚Д゚)ノ━━━━━━ !!!!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

That's not a carve - that's a drawing! Laughing

I don't believe it. Besides, who nerdy procrastinates on a Friday night?! Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
LiuXuande wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

That's not a carve - that's a drawing! Laughing

I don't believe it. Besides, who nerdy procrastinates on a Friday night?! Laughing

Drunk graduate students? ;p There was beer and bbq involved, so it counts as a social event.

Here's a pic of me posing next to the pumpkin, so you can see it's totally carved. Well, partially carved, mostly shaved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3