• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Wife Arrested for Selling Ponyo DVD Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible, I mean where did she even find the time? When she's supposed to cleaning the house and cooking up a hot meal, she's instead downloading stuff off the internet. See, in this case the husband laying the pimp hand down on her might have actually kept her OUT of jail.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

A fine would be understandable, but arresting her over bootlegging $15 worth of merchandise seems like a waste of police time, if nothing else.

Police in the US at least do stuff like this all the time.
Bust a prostitute & her pimp has her back out on the street in hours.
Bust the Johns who then get to spend a night in jail, their wives/significant others/moms get to bail them out & maybe they'll think twice about doing it again.

Frankly, I can't believe any drug on this planet is worth having an officer of the court watch one urinate into a cup. I would be so embarrassed & I sure don't enjoy doing it to my clients. ALl of my clients have been arrested & some of them for less than this (One gal stole a bottle of booze from a store & in the scuffle it was broken so she had to pay the store the $25 for the product. I remember seeing a report on a teen arrested for shoplifting $2 hairclips from a drug store)

I really can't see how all of you are amazed.
Arrest is one thing. She could have been booked & released, but the arrest is needed if they want to prosecute, IF they decide to prosecute. Charges can be dropped. Here the DA may decide there isn't enough evidence or the case isn't worth it. Sometimes they push a case because they want to make a point. I've heard prosecutors used to not push the infant seat issue when the child died in a crash because it was feared a jury would sympathize with the parent who had to mourn the baby s/he was too thoughtless to protect in the first place, but now some have been tried.

If the anime industry is wanting this sort of case to be tried, it sounds like a good place to start. Even an average housewife can get caught up in this! Plus in Japan there's the embarrassment factor which still places high with some people.
Wow. It might even make tv dramas like housewives selling drugs in our stories.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Although strictly speaking it makes sense to be doing this, surely police time would be better spent going after the mass-producing bootleggers. Unless said criminals are entirely beyond their juristiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Although strictly speaking it makes sense to be doing this, surely police time would be better spent going after the mass-producing bootleggers. Unless said criminals are entirely beyond their juristiction.

Bootleggers start out small, as we all would know.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree with CCS. People can get arrested for the smallest of offenses. I also agree that the police did the right thing. No matter how small the offense is, the law should be enforced.

I believe that the title is also effective. It explains the vast scope of this crime. Not just teenagers that commit these crimes -- even middle aged housewives are involved. The embarrassment factor is also key in this news story. Being looked down upon in society alone could prove to be enough of a deterrent to make bootleggers think again before they commit a crime. Being arrested can be a humiliating experience even when it is a common occurrence. I agree that this a good place to start, and I hope the anime industry continues to pursue these bootleggers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.

I'm not really sure how they do it, but some people seem to have a knack for finding leaked content.

Many of the same video techies who work on these films (and earn their living) are the ones leaking them into the scene. That's how these get out in pristine quality even before the theater release.

Anyways, some would say the Japanese police "wasted" their time doing this arrest because it's a Ghibli film (kinda like what people would say if it's, say, a Disney film). Laughing
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Zerreth wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.

I'm not really sure how they do it, but some people seem to have a knack for finding leaked content.

Many of the same video techies who work on these films (and earn their living) are the ones leaking them into the scene. That's how these get out in pristine quality even before the theater release.

If these techies are the ones leaking the films onto IRC and BitTorrent channels, then rule 64 of the Internet remains unbroken.

No matter what it is, it's been cracked and pirated. No exceptions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2