• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Cracks Down on Bootleggers at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:
The most common excuse I have heard from vendors is "But it's what the fans want." These are the type of fans whom also embrace the phrase "If it's not free it's overpriced.". I applaude your post beelzebozo.

It's very hard to stick to your guns. I've been so tempted to go bootleg just to compete with the bootlegger down the street because the companies & the government weren't doing anything after my various complaints & gathering evidence.
But now that Bandai is doing something, I feel much better.

Well, the problem is that the very "I want it my way" spirit that brought anime to America is also fueling the bootleg/fansub movement. We were crazy enough to want good animation & stories so badly that we were willing to watch 15th generation copies in another language and set up a tape trading network to distribute it, so many fans, especially the older ones, are used to free anime. It's an uphill battle now to change that expectation.

There will always be a segment of the buying public that won't pay much for anything and you can't really get through to them, but there is no reason we should make it as easy as walking into a retail shop and picking it up.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

And what of the plethora of OVA that are released in Japan. They don't get to see those on TV before they buy them. Maybe a trailer or something, which is what you will usually get to see here if you are buying legal releases, since one of the extras is usually trailers.

The system works a little different in Japan than America.

1) Many OAVs & videos have two release dates. One is the rental release and later is the sale release. Many OAVs hit the rentals shelves before they are available for sale.

2) Japanese companies get a percentage every time a video is rented. This means they have an interest in providing rentals for shops and the reason they make OAVs 1 episode at at time. Imagine, if you will, a series that you essentially had to go to Blockbuster to be able to see it.

But the point about being able to preview shows is valid. This is why the most popular anime shows in the US are those shown on cable, because people can see them for free... minus the cost of cable, of course.

This why I always suggest retail anime shops should do rentals. It can be a pain, takes up lots of space, and there will always be stolen disks, but you are doing a great service to the fans and the community. It exposes lesser known anime and can help the sales of anime in general.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:

But the point about being able to preview shows is valid. This is why the most popular anime shows in the US are those shown on cable, because people can see them for free... minus the cost of cable, of course.

This why I always suggest retail anime shops should do rentals. It can be a pain, takes up lots of space, and there will always be stolen disks, but you are doing a great service to the fans and the community. It exposes lesser known anime and can help the sales of anime in general.

Which is why I have no problem with fansubs of unlicensed anime, so long as they are taken done once the licensing is announced. As far as renting anime, there are already a plethora of sites that operate in a similar manner to netflix, a short list of some can be found Here
and also Rent Anime that Tempest just mentioned on another thread
And with ADV's news that most of their new titles will begin showning on the Anime Network before they are released to DVD, there is yet another legal way to preview shows before you go purchase them.
aisasami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So they only cracking down American licensed products? I have seen too much of those PGSM bootlegs floating around, then....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marcyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quote
Another shop owner here! I used to be a fansubber (anyone need a spare genlock?), so I fully support domestic anime companies (a contradiction in terms if any existed). This is a little off-topic, but I have only one real complaint against ADV, Bandai America, and the like (besides killing my sales by not going after the eBay bootleggers). Stop whining about fansubs.

For the most part, I think they have stopped complaining about fansubs for series that have not been licensed, but I still hear the whining at every convention. It's come to the point where it really is laughable. I recommend them to allow the fansubs to continue until a month or two before street date.

The perfect example is Love Hina. Before it was licensed, all I heard at every major con from every domestic company after LH was shown in Japan was "it will never get licensed - it's been digisubbed to death!" They didn't believe my argument that whoever would pick it up had free advertising, a free built-in audience, and free marketing through fans who had watched it. I tried to also explain that less than 10% of the fans I knew ever watched anime in subtitled format and most did not have access to broadband (although that last argument has been knocked down a bit from a few years ago). So what happened? Bandai America licensed it and sold more copies of it than any other series in its history. And then it was named the retail group ICV2 "2002 Anime Product of the Year" because of its astronomical sales. So let's lay off a bit on the fansubs. Do these companies seriously think a Tenchi-wannabe would've have done better if fansubs for this series had not existed? Let's see what what ICV2 had to say:

"Without the benefit of television exposure and utterly lacking in conflicts between giant robots or powerful sorcerers, Love Hina has quietly established itself as one of the genuine hits of 2002..."

No TV exposure, no giant robots, etc...I wonder how they did it? Let's be a little realistic before knocking down fansubs. Rolling Eyes
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:31 am Reply with quote
marcyu:

What does it matter if they whine about fansubs or not? They have a perfect right to be upset about fansubs of licensed series being released. And they have a right to whine about fansubs in general, although they can't do anything about those. For the most part, they don't whine about unlicensed fansubs, at least not officially.

Most companies have a pretty good idea that having fansubs of new, unlicensed material will help promote the series. They may get a bit perturbed when the whole series is fansubed, and like I said will get upset if their material is still passed around after licensing is announced.

Whiney people to me would be Hollywood companies and the music industry (whether they are right to whine or not)
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:53 am Reply with quote
What is 2 months before street date going to accomplish that hasn't already been done in the months before licensing? All it is is a selfish attempt to get more free anime no mater how you try to defend it. How many episodes does it take to generate a fanbase? So you've fansubed 10 episodes and then it gets licnesed, are more episodes really going to make a difference? Hardly. Try showing some patience and restraint and just waint for the domestic release.

In the end, Kazuki has it right, they have the license and they can say whatever and do whatever they want about it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marcyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:02 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
marcyu:

What does it matter if they whine about fansubs or not? They have a perfect right to be upset about fansubs of licensed series being released. And they have a right to whine about fansubs in general, although they can't do anything about those. For the most part, they don't whine about unlicensed fansubs, at least not officially.

Most companies have a pretty good idea that having fansubs of new, unlicensed material will help promote the series. They may get a bit perturbed when the whole series is fansubed, and like I said will get upset if their material is still passed around after licensing is announced.

Whiney people to me would be Hollywood companies and the music industry (whether they are right to whine or not)

These companies have no real outlet for promotion without fansubs if they don't get onto television (which is why Initial D was held up for a year - but Tokyopop never could get anyone to go for it - high school prostitution is something that won't be shown the CN anytime soon). They're so desperate for exposure, they're giving me free DVD's to give to customers. Of licensed materials, mind you. So I'd like for them to stop complaining about fansubs when they can't GIVE away their product fast enough.

And they still whine about unlicensed anime being digisubbed. And they complain to the hilt at every panel I've ever been to. These businesses have become gunshy. ADV used to really be courageous about taking chances on titles, but, as they've gotten bigger, they've lowered their risk plateau. My problem with domestic companies is that they are currently still considering fansubbed material a liability instead of an asset. I think they need to change their thought process a little if they want to stay competitive.

I have people begging for Naruto, Hikaru no Go, Full Moon wo Sagashite, etc. You've gotta spend money to make money, folks. Maybe I should round up some investors I know....
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:36 am Reply with quote
marcyu wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
marcyu:

These companies have no real outlet for promotion without fansubs if they don't get onto television (which is why Initial D was held up for a year - but Tokyopop never could get anyone to go for it - high school prostitution is something that won't be shown the CN anytime soon). They're so desperate for exposure, they're giving me free DVD's to give to customers. Of licensed materials, mind you. So I'd like for them to stop complaining about fansubs when they can't GIVE away their product fast enough.

And they still whine about unlicensed anime being digisubbed. And they complain to the hilt at every panel I've ever been to. These businesses have become gunshy. ADV used to really be courageous about taking chances on titles, but, as they've gotten bigger, they've lowered their risk plateau. My problem with domestic companies is that they are currently still considering fansubbed material a liability instead of an asset. I think they need to change their thought process a little if they want to stay competitive.

I have people begging for Naruto, Hikaru no Go, Full Moon wo Sagashite, etc. You've gotta spend money to make money, folks. Maybe I should round up some investors I know....

Well, last time I checked companies were advertising in Newtype and all the other Anime magz. They also give you trailers on the Newtype dvd and a free ep or 2. And if they're giving you free dvds to give away that would be spending money on marketing now wouldn't it? ADV is now going to start showing their series on Anime Network before they are released to dvd. Not to mention there is plenty of info on the net to be had on new shows. Anime companies are never going to be able and advertise on normal tv.

The reason that they copmain about fansubs is exactly the point you just made. Because lots of people will take free over having to pay any day. Why buy a dvd when you can download the whole series for free? That's the take a lot of people have on it these days.

As to ADV being "gunshy" that depends on what you mean. They continue to license shows that it's unclear what the potential sales will be (Happy Lesson comes to mind)

Even if they do "complain" as you say about unlicensed fansubs, I bet most of the complaining is actually about licensed shows still being fansubbed. Even if they really are complaining, they aren't trying to do anything about it. They know that fansubs help promote a series, so long as it's stopped being distro'd once it's licensed. In fact ADV used to have a fansub division.
marcyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Well, last time I checked companies were advertising in Newtype and all the other Anime magz. They also give you trailers on the Newtype dvd and a free ep or 2. And if they're giving you free dvds to give away that would be spending money on marketing now wouldn't it? ADV is now going to start showing their series on Anime Network before they are released to dvd. Not to mention there is plenty of info on the net to be had on new shows. Anime companies are never going to be able and advertise on normal tv.

Everything you've mentioned is not advertising. It's value adding. Consumers have to pay in order to get something - in this case it's a magazine or paid cable TV. They only give me DVD's because I sell the stuff, and it's the only way they can reach their target consumer and give them something for free. Of course anime companies can advertise on TV. That's what I do with my stores and we make money. But they don't understand the economics behind it yet. Most of them need to hire a real advertising firm.

Quote:
The reason that they copmain about fansubs is exactly the point you just made. Because lots of people will take free over having to pay any day. Why buy a dvd when you can download the whole series for free? That's the take a lot of people have on it these days.

Most people don't want them. The majority of my customers watch everything dubbed in English (yuck). Most of them have access to the Internet but they don't want to watch it in Japanese, don't have Broadband, and/or don't want to go through the effort - I'd say about 95%. So the ones who watch give the info to the ones who don't watch digisubs. And I make most of the people who watch digisubs buy it once it gets licensed or I make them go somewhere else (which they don't because we give them great service, low prices, and lots of freebies that companies give us).

Quote:
As to ADV being "gunshy" that depends on what you mean. They continue to license shows that it's unclear what the potential sales will be (Happy Lesson comes to mind)

A high school guy with a bunch of female teachers wanting to be his "mom"? Aw, c'mon - that was a gimme, especially with only a 13 episode count. They probably saw shades of Onegai Teacher, Tenchi, and Love Hina in that one. The same tired old setup.

By gunshy, I mean putting their money where their mouth is on big time titles (which I previously mentioned). I still can't believe ADV went as far as they did financially to get NGE at that point in their history. That took guts. They were hungry. Pioneer and Bandai are mouthpieces for their Japanese counterparts and the UCI Bookstore has trapped themselves within the Initial D universe with only Rave Master being their next possible big title. AnimeNation are the only new folks I see really going after risky titles, but I don't think they have the pockets to go for the big titles yet (unless their Tampa and online stores are doing a lot better than I originally thought). And of course, AnimEigo officially died last year. I don't see Sirabella making a play, but he has proven me wrong once before when Media Blasters got Rurouni Kenshin. That was awesome. But my favorite front runner is Funimation. They're grabbing titles I never thought they'd get (Full Metal Alchemist - unbelievable!) and ones that I never thought anyone would get (Kodomo no Omocha!). This is why ICV2 named them Top Anime Company of the Year for 2003. And at this rate, I see them getting even better (they're the only company who call up retailers like us and ask us what is selling and why it is selling - they don't pretend to know what they don't know). Currently, Synch-Point and Viz are afterthoughts, but that could change if Viz figures out how to market Flame of Recca properly. That is one incredible show. And on a side note, I'm very impressed on how Viz fought back and changed their entire format to fight the UCI boys. To change how you do business just to fight the competition is truly a very courageous business move.

Quote:
Even if they do "complain" as you say about unlicensed fansubs, I bet most of the complaining is actually about licensed shows still being fansubbed. Even if they really are complaining, they aren't trying to do anything about it. They know that fansubs help promote a series, so long as it's stopped being distro'd once it's licensed. In fact ADV used to have a fansub division.

ADV Fansubs lasted all of 8 months, I think. They missed the window on that by about 2 years. By the time they started out, digisubs had already taken over. They're STILL trying to push those City Hunter subtitled only DVD's on me because they're so overstocked from just the first pressing alone. You can tell a company is afraid of taking chances when instead of looking at new properties, they start re-hashing the titles with which they were previously successful (live action Eva???). Like I stated before, these guys need to keep up. My livelihood is depending on it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote
marcyu wrote:

Everything you've mentioned is not advertising. It's value adding. Consumers have to pay in order to get something - in this case it's a magazine or paid cable TV. They only give me DVD's because I sell the stuff, and it's the only way they can reach their target consumer and give them something for free. Of course anime companies can advertise on TV. That's what I do with my stores and we make money. But they don't understand the economics behind it yet. Most of them need to hire a real advertising firm.

Let's take a look at the definition of advertising shall we...

"The activity of attracting public attention to a product or business, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media."

Of course you have to pay for cable, but are you trying to imply that a person would signup for cable for the SOLE reason of watching anime?

As far advertising on TV, if we take what you have said above, then it's not advertising on TV either, because they had to buy their tv, and they have to buy a newspaper, etc.

marcyu wrote:
Most people don't want them. The majority of my customers watch everything dubbed in English (yuck).

That may be what the majority of YOUR customers wants, be all you have to do is take a couple of minutes to look online to see how big fansubs are. You can't judge everything by the market you're in. A great deal of people download fansubs, and a great deal on them ONLY download and do not purchase the DVDs, because they're free. Just as has already been discussed on threads here recently, people also buy boots which contain ONLY subs, and bad subs at that. (and yes, I know people buy R1 boots as well).
marcyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Let's take a look at the definition of advertising shall we...

"The activity of attracting public attention to a product or business, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media."

Of course you have to pay for cable, but are you trying to imply that a person would signup for cable for the SOLE reason of watching anime?

As far advertising on TV, if we take what you have said above, then it's not advertising on TV either, because they had to buy their tv, and they have to buy a newspaper, etc.

You're again confusing buying and value adding. People watch TV or read newspapers not to get anime, but as a due process of their regular workday. They don't buy a TV or newspaper because they want anime. However, if they pay for the Anime Channel or pay for a Newtype magazine, they're buying it because they want anime. In other words, they're preaching to the choir, not the mass market. It's not really advertising if you're not adding new people into your existing clientele.

And I have never seen a mainstream advertisement by an anime company in mainstream print or broadcast. If you include electronic media, you only strengthened my fansub argument.

marcyu wrote:
Most people don't want them. The majority of my customers watch everything dubbed in English (yuck).

Quote:
That may be what the majority of YOUR customers wants, be all you have to do is take a couple of minutes to look online to see how big fansubs are. You can't judge everything by the market you're in. A great deal of people download fansubs, and a great deal on them ONLY download and do not purchase the DVDs, because they're free. Just as has already been discussed on threads here recently, people also buy boots which contain ONLY subs, and bad subs at that. (and yes, I know people buy R1 boots as well).

Personally, I abhor dubs, but it sells. The last ADV statement had about a 90% dub only audience, and that was when anime hadn't become so mainstream (they got that number when they used to sell sub and dub tapes separately before DVD's) . Just because you see or read it online doesn't mean everyone is doing it. Remember, 99% of all purchases are made in brick and mortar stores, not online.

Last edited by marcyu on Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
marcyu wrote:

And I have never seen a mainstream advertisement by an anime company in mainstream print or broadcast. If you include electronic media, you only strengthened my fansub argument.

I have, but then again I'm in ADV's hometown, so it may be a bit different for me. And no, I didn't strengthen your fansub argument, are you trying to say that a company should pay people to sub all of their stuff and then release it for free? That would be suicide, it might serve them to sub an ep or 2 and release, but the problem with that is 100 other groups have already subbed the whole series so what's the point? The whole series would be subbed before a company ever got the license.

marcyu wrote:
Just because you see or read it online doesn't mean everyone is doing it. Remember, 99% of all purchases are made in brick and mortar stores, not online.

Indeed I'm speaking from experience from people I know, and people who have talked to me about it. And yes, 99% of purchases are made in B&M stores, but it's hard to get figures if someone isn't buying anything because they are downloading it for free.
marcyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:21 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
marcyu wrote:

I have, but then again I'm in ADV's hometown, so it may be a bit different for me. And no, I didn't strengthen your fansub argument, are you trying to say that a company should pay people to sub all of their stuff and then release it for free? That would be suicide, it might serve them to sub an ep or 2 and release, but the problem with that is 100 other groups have already subbed the whole series so what's the point? The whole series would be subbed before a company ever got the license.

The last really popular show in Japan that was fully digisubbed before coming into the US was Love Hina - the ICV2 2002 Anime Product of the Year. It is Bandai's best selling title to date besides Gundam Wing (which coincidentally had a run on Cartoon Network - something Love Hina didn't have the advantage of).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quote
marcyu wrote:

The last really popular show in Japan that was fully digisubbed before coming into the US was Love Hina - the ICV2 2002 Anime Product of the Year. It is Bandai's best selling title to date besides Gundam Wing (which coincidentally had a run on Cartoon Network - something Love Hina didn't have the advantage of).

Ummm... nooo.. not even close.. Ghost in the shell: standalone complex season 1 is fully subbed, has been for a couple of months, and it's not out here yet. I've had Comic Party since around the same time it aired in Japan and it's only been here a couple of months. There are plenty of other examples such as that. Just because YOU aren't aware that a show hasn't been fansubbed doesn't mean it hasn't. There are hundreds of fansub sites out there, and they all love to get the whole series subbed before it's licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9