• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2008-10-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Dan. All of these features are very welcome. Very Happy

My compatibility with the "like-minded" feature was mostly unexpected. Run_Rabbit_Junk, Fiction Alchemist and Kruszer being the top 3 users for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Personally I didn't have complaints against what I had, but this will make things a bit easier. I like it, and thank you for adding all of it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, thank you!

Really awesome. As far as news goes, what site could even scratch ANN's back? The forums are a lovely beacon of what can be accomplished with atleast a little effort and intelligence thrown into posts and the encyclopedia has always been the place to stop when you want to browse "into" an anime. These additions are VERY nice and are a few things I've wanted personally out of them.

I need to get back into my own and work on it a bit more however! Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I couldn't access the site for a span of several hours today, starting from about half an hour after this article was posted. Very Happy
Related?

Nope. There was a disk problem on one server (Peorth)so the other server (Urd) had to handle the full load of the site for a few hours. Urd was really tired after a while and started ignoring some people.

There is however a bug in the new features that causes the database to grind to a halt every few hours. We're aware of it though,so we watch for it and we're able to preemptively correct it with a few minutes of downtime. The bug should be fixed soon though.

I guess this is a good time to pimp our subscription server (Skuld). Not only is it always faster than Urd and Peorth, it's usually up when they go down. For example today Skuld was always p and running.

-t
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Sweet deal Dan, if these are the minor additions you cooked up, I look forward to seeing what might show up down the line. The links in the forums are especially nice. Great additions all along.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah, your pimpage came too late, Tempest. I already subscribed earlier today when the new 'like-minded' feature only gave me some users I'd never heard of. I was already considering subscribing though, because I've been getting a lot out of this site Smile
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the MyAnime and MyManga lists were the reason I created an account, updates to it are good to hear. Don't really hang around the forums (I never have anything to say when I do), I don't know if I should be recognizing anybody on that list. Mylene was in my top three and Cloe and ManOfRust were further down. My list needs some updating though, and I also keep telling myself that I'll write comments "soon".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Many cheers for adding all of these bells and whistles.
Alas I don't know any of the people who are most like-minded with me. Perhaps that'll change as I watch more, but I suppose I've become used to sharing few opinions with people I talk to in real life, so it would be wishful thinking to assume otherwise from the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The "like-minded" feature breaks my heart, because I've been through the people who are like me in taste, and I always end up disagreeing greatly with them on one or two really key titles, even if I agree with them on several others, and it bothers me too much to take the agreements into account.

I'll be sitting and saying to myself, "We both liked X but they like Y better than Z? Really? What awful taste." when we agree on most other titles.

I guess it puts into perspective how set in my ways I can be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but the people on my 'like-minded' list often seem to have rather different tastes. Closest matches are Dynamite (80.6% over 22 titles), cthulhuplush (54.5% over 45 titles) and colonelpanic (46.7% over 61 titles).

Do I need to watch more anime to get better results? Or is my taste really eclectic or something?
Chibi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for this, I can see some awesome possibilities for these since I am an active user of My Ann
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Do I need to watch more anime to get better results? Or is my taste really eclectic or something?
Hey, at least you got somebody. I've tried it 3 times now and no one comes up at all. Just a blank page. Am I doing something wrong (entirely possible), or is there really no one else out there that thinks Natsume Yuujinchou was "excellent"? *scratches head* Oh well.
loka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
thank you very much. every improvement is indeed useful and brings that part of the site up to par.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Awesome upgrades.

My only remaining wish is to actually see who voted what rating on the title's ANN page (this would be restricted to those who have their lists public, obviously). Dunno if that's actually possible, but it'd be nice to have.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice changes. *click* *click* *click*

The incentive to update my anime list is substantially higher than before.

Thanks Dan.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Thank you, oh great Encyclopedist! ORZ

Since "orz" isn't an acronym it's generally not written in all caps. OTL works though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4