• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Fan Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Oh and I'm surprised no one's linked to this classic issue of AN Nina. It popped into my head as I was reading this article.

Me too. I wonder when we'll see Paola return in Nina's comic Anime smile
dillinger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I really think Casey was onto something here with a number of her contributions to the roundtable...

Quote:
I don't think a Western company has put a take-down notice on a fan fic since 2005, and they decided it's just not worth it. If anything, these are their best customers that are doing this.

Quote:
But a lot of the little publishers depend on that subculture for their content. So for them to go after these artists would be like plowing salt into their fallow fields or something like that.

Quote:
No money is being lost if you download it and go, “Well, I don't really like Britney Spears, but what the hell, let's give it a try. I would never spend money on this.” Well, maybe you'll like it, and then after that, you'll spend the money on a Britney Spears album.

It seems to me that there is a relationship between a lot of peripheral fan activity (fan art, fan fiction, blogs and websites, file uploads/downloads etc.) and the form of entertainment or cultural production it is tied to that is poorly understood and under explored. Too often there is a knee jerk attempt to conclude that the relationship is one of stealing a market/product, infringing on a brand patent or being some kind of unethical parasite, and sketchy links are presumed between declining sales in areas and downloading etc.

I think we need to start really rethinking a lot of these assumptions, and it's not just an issue with anime - it's really across all fields of culture and entertainment in our society (there are controversies around blogs based on specific sports teams, unofficial websites for egames, music downloading and remixes, visual fan art in manga and comics - it's endless). We do not have participatory folk culture anymore, we do not have artists commisioned by royal courts - we have a thoroughly commodified and commercialized culture that operates through mass markets with peripheral layers of non or barely profitable niche markets and "free" interactive activity which occurs largely over the internet. This alone raises a lot of questions, of ethics, social utility, and also how things actually function vs. how we imagine them to vs. how we'd like them to.

A few questions to chew on...

Do these activities simply "steal" from the revenue of artists or companies? Or do they play a supporting (maybe even vital) role in increasing the popularity of something (and thereby the market) either by expanding/deepening or sustaining fan interest? Short of pirating an exact reproduction of an original and competitively selling it against the original in the same region(s) it's hard to say (and even then if it is substantially cheaper and an inferior product it may simply act as a gateway to the official merchandise). Do these activities now play a vital role in developing and replenishing the pool of artistic talent?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

I had read the piece in Wired some time back with interest, but noted that some of the Japanese norms involved would never fly in the US. Our copyright law is kinda funky in that if you DON'T express your right of ownership in the face of copy, you will lose it.

That's trademarks.

reanimator wrote:

In Japan, an animation inbetween artist has to draw 300 to 700 sheets per month at rate of $4 to $5 per sheet of drawing. Unlike fan drawings, their line quality is a lot better and they have to comply with art standards established by the industry. Can fan artists willing to draw that much drawings (not sketches) in a month? I doubt it.

There's a saying in animator circles that your first 10 000 drawings will be crap, so might as well go thru the 10 000 as fast as you can, i.e. keep drawing! Laughing

But there's also a difference between being an animator vs illustrator vs comic artist.

BTW, when Robin said:
Robin wrote:

My opinions have actually 360'd on this....

I think she meant 180.

As far as manipulating con artist alleys for multiple tables goes, if there are more than enough applications, maybe the con should do a lottery for the tables, instead of first-come-first-serve, so nobody is certain to get how many tables.
Sarahtdl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Personally, having a lot of friends in Artist Ally of various cons, this is my take. Fan art is infringement, but its also a gray area that a lot of companies/creators are looking the other way about. That’s their call, and I think that if that’s the case, then fan arts harmless. When you pay someone to do a sketch of San from “Princess Mononoke” for you, okay. You get one sketch, and the artist works for that money.

I have issues with fan art in two areas: (1) People who sell prints of their fan art (Mass producing multiple copies, not drawing each sale) (2) People who sell fan art that creators have asked not to be circulated.

The first I feel is wrong because it becomes a mass production to profit off someone else’s creation, not just an expression of your enjoyment of the character or skill as an artist. I know several fan artists who refuse to sell prints of fan art because of this, but will sell prints of their own original art.

The second, as I said earlier with fan fiction, I feel is wrong because it disrespects the creator you claim to be a fan of. If a creator has asked that no fan art be produced of their work you ought to respect that. Or if a creator has asked a particular subject not be used in fan art (like say, J.K Rowling asking that sexual-themed Harry Potter fanart/Fanfic not be produced) you should respect that as well.

Again, just my two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Fan artists don't have to put up with industry standards, but in order to sell original designs at desired price he or she has to show professional quality of craftsmanship.

I believe this too because I've sold out original prints many times so I know that if its good it will still be sold. I know many original artists at the cons I go to and they do a decent pool of money too because their work is really beautiful like:

http://blush-art.deviantart.com/

The first link contains a cover illustration that has notable mistake. The blond haired character bending her fingers in most unnatural way. It looks like her finger has two digits instead of three digits. Now I'm pointing this kind of mistake because hands are critical expressions just as face. Fancy rendering cannot save illustration from critical mistakes. Professional craftsmanship is not just about fancy coloring, but able to cover critical areas like hand gestures.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
reanimator wrote:

In Japan, an animation inbetween artist has to draw 300 to 700 sheets per month at rate of $4 to $5 per sheet of drawing. Unlike fan drawings, their line quality is a lot better and they have to comply with art standards established by the industry. Can fan artists willing to draw that much drawings (not sketches) in a month? I doubt it.

There's a saying in animator circles that your first 10 000 drawings will be crap, so might as well go thru the 10 000 as fast as you can, i.e. keep drawing! Laughing

But there's also a difference between being an animator vs illustrator vs comic artist.

No, there isn't much difference among animators, illustrators, and comic artists. Sure, animators have to draw thousands of sheets so do the illustrators and comic artists. No...comic artists are illustrators. They have to illustrate pictures for their comics. Only difference is media they use, and sometimes they cross-produce. For example, animator doing illustration work and illustrator/comic artist doing animation-related work.

The point is that there are people who draws more than average fan artists, and they have a standard to upkeep or they won't get paid.
Fan artist don't have to make living out of fan illustrations, but professional quality really matters when he or she wants serious respect.
cetriya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
No one has metioned about thouse doujinshi resalers. I mean, 20$ for a doujin? whats wroung with them? most doujin dont cost more then 5$ and I've imported stuff from japan so I know it shouldnt cost that much.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
No one has metioned about thouse doujinshi resalers. I mean, 20$ for a doujin? whats wroung with them? most doujin don't cost more then 5$ and I've imported stuff from japan so I know it shouldnt cost that much.

I could understand the ones that are from really super popular circles that are extremely rare (limited print of 1000, say), because it's not much different than selling baseball cards at high prices.

But I imagine you're talking about the dealers at conventions that'll charge $15-20 for yaoi. Worse is that the fans will snap it up because frankly, they don't know any better. I suppose I can't fault them too much, because if someone is willing to pay that money, who am I to deny them their whack at capitalism, but I do feel bad for the kids who are spending all their weekend food money on doujinshi. =/
cetriya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
It breaks the original integrity of the artists not to profit on doujinshi but these dealers are making a living off of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3