• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Sues CA Retail Sites over Alleged Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The store itself was just down the street from me and I would go there every few weeks to browse and see what was new. Mostly I bought mangas but very few DVD's from them just because of how expensive they were. The only time I used their site was for mangas they didn't have on the shelves but we could get them online at a discount.

The store itself was way cool and had alot more merchendise to offer (t-shirts, figures, wallscrolls, etc...) and always kept you in the know when they would get new things in. For all that, I will miss them. Sad

But the bootleg thing has got to stop, and if shutting down their whole operation, or scaring them all to hell, is what's needed, then so be it. I know what it's like to feel ripped off and I'll be damned if I would want to give my money for something I didn't want, I know what I'm paying for and I would demand to get the real thing, not some cheap piece of...... well, you know. Who knows, maybe if they hadn't been doing all this they'd still be in business.

We still need a store like this around, but it won't be the same. Now if Im left with the option of having to shop online for DVDs, now I feel that I have to be extra careful even from a ligit site. I know it's my nerves talking, but it's how I feel.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Of course the question is all a matter of opinion. But stuff like this blows my mind. And when I say blow my mind, I mean I think they are worth more than that.
Holy crap. *o*

All I can really think is, what the hell is up with that?
In case you really wish to know how sales like this happen, I shall explain. Not every DVD from a production run of anime DVDs sell. Sometimes, in fact often, the company that put out the show ends up with a surplus in a warehouse. This may be due to stores sending them unsold stock or just not having enough orders come in for the product. When a box set collection comes out, as is the case with My-Hime right now, the company will often massively discount the old singles to clear out their warehouse. (Retailers may do this as well of course but big studio sales to clear out back stock like that are pretty common with TRSI.) It's a great way to get a series that either wasn't popular enough in singles or just had large production runs.

Explanation over, now to the story at hand. I'm extremely pleased and also very hopeful about this action by Funimation. First, it is a good step, I think, in lessening the negative impact of bootlegs. They are a legitimate threat to the anime market and while their danger compared to fansubs can be debated, they inflict an actual loss of sale to the R1 or other legitimate company. Many people do not know how to tell a bootleg from a legitimate product.

Second, the fact that Funimation is taking on this action seems to imply that they have a financial cushion of some sort to rest on. Lawsuits of any variety can be very expensive and time-consuming. Plus, the mention of Japanese companies would indicate that they may be receiving some backing from those companies to aid in protecting their property rights. This is a very encouraging sign of the strength of this R1 company.

Third and final, I'm just glad to see some bootleggers get theirs. Seeing Geneon and ADV suffer so much in recent years hasn't exactly made me pro-fansub or pro-bootleg. I fear for the anime market in general and hope that the recent drop in gas prices, the rising value of the American dollar and hopefully some fiscal sanity after the elections will help our favorite hobby to get itself back on firm ground.
ryuusuizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Personally on the FYE and suncoast; it depends on the staffing there. the suncoast that I work at we have been training everyone to recognize the bootleg dvds; mostly due to an influx of them around this state. I havn't seen a bootleg pass our staff in almost two years now honestly . And as with Richard J. had said about pricing this has been a trend with alot of anime lately that are being boxed setted especially if you look at bandai; single disc haruhi 15 and gundam seed movie 1 for 5 bucks are just some examples.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
sonyfan wrote:
is there a good website were I can pickup unlicensed dvds and not have to worry about a show being bootlegged.

YesAsia, cdJapan and J-list/J-Box (safe for work link)

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasamuneChad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Great! Now maybe somebody can notice MIYA Records and finally bust them.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
For what its worth, It's best to deal with boot-leggers! Thank you Funimation!
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
sonyfan wrote:
is there a good website were I can pickup unlicensed dvds and not have to worry about a show being bootlegged.

YesAsia, cdJapan and J-list/J-Box

-t

Be careful with J-List at work. (I'm not familiar with the other two)
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
good move for funimation, I wonder if this will start a domino effect with sites and retailers that sell bootleg DVDs along with the companies selling the bootlegs to the sites and retailers.

They can move their primary address and servers overseas. They can just stop selling bootlegs that FUNi has licensed which would effectively solve the current problem. Bootleg sellers prob have ways of getting around this. Some of them are linked to organized crime from the general rumors you hear about bootleggers.
all good points, maybe some of the other companies will catch on
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

That's why I linked to J-Box.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Do you remember if the AX action by Bandai from a few years ago resulted in any courtroom action and/or store closures? Or was it all settled out of court?

Although never publicly announced, that would probably be the last real action if it did indeed result in real action.

Just an update after some talking with someone who was familiar with this. The Bandai action at AX did result in a formal lawsuit, but it was settled out of court. If anyone is so inclined, you can try to find the documents in the public records.

Anime Nuts was implicated in that lawsuit as well.

-t
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

That's why I linked to J-Box.

-t

So you have. That's why you are "ANN Editor in Chief," and I am "Subscriber." Wink
sonyfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
sonyfan wrote:

YesAsia, cdJapan and J-list/J-Box (safe for work link)

-t

Thanks for the Links Cdjapan seems to be the best. I've been looking for both Final Approach and Love Love? for some time. They are going to have to wait though until I finish Grad school. $40 for the box set of True Tears is now even more of a better deal then before.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
MasamuneChad wrote:
Great! Now maybe somebody can notice MIYA Records and finally bust them.

In fact it would be even better. Miya is a manufacturer of bootlegs, where N-Trading et all were just a distributor and retailer of bootlegs (afaik).

Problem is, Miya is based in Taiwan. While current Taiwan law enforces international copyright via TRIPS (as required by their entry into the WTO), it's still a lot harder to sue a foreign corporation.

Also, Miya is mostly just a bootlegger of OSTs. They'd be of more interest to comanies like Avex Mode than Funimation.

But yeah, the big score is when they can take out manufacturers.

-t
Beruda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when DADVD would get caught. It's so obvious they've been selling bootleg stuff.

B.
turboyoshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
midnightshinigami wrote:

I noticed the bootlegs available and I avoided them. They were very obvious.

Well, as someone relatively new to anime, I didn't know how to tell if they were bootlegs, and at first, it didn't even occur to me to question whether the dvds were authentic.

Good for Funimation, I support this fight all the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10