• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Sues CA Retail Sites over Alleged Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Do you remember if the AX action by Bandai from a few years ago resulted in any courtroom action and/or store closures? Or was it all settled out of court?

Although never publicly announced, that would probably be the last real action if it did indeed result in real action.

I was told by someone I knew at one of the stores that was said to be sued that they were never served with anything. (shrug)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I think FUNI was just jealous that an anime retailer was selling their anime DVD's at huge discounts and wanted to shut them down.

I really don't think FUNi cares that much what you sell their DVDs for, as long as you paid for them them in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Gamestop stopped carrying used DVDs I think. Both Gamestop and FYE will only take used discs when the UPC code matches their database. Bootlegs seldom (ever?) use the real UPC code, so I think it fairly unlikely one would show up in their stores.

A bit of trivia: When was the last publicly announced bust of physical bootleg anime product in the United States? (Hint: It was in Chinatown, NYC)

Last time I went to FYE/Suncoast, I tried to trade in some used DVDs, and they wouldn't even take them AT ALL. Keep in mind, I'm in Delaware, where they've passed some bullshit law banning used DVD trade-ins. Why the hell did they have to pass this law? The record store near my house (I'm in southern DE, and the nearest Suncoast is in a mall about 1.5 hours' drive upstate) would've only given me a dollar for each of them, whereas I would've gotten more from a big-box like Suncoast.

Kids, every time we say "There ought to be a law", there probably oughtn't be.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zrana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I was going to share my glee of a bootleg seller getting shot down with my roommate. One problem--she had about $200 in boxsets on backorder from them. She paid through paypal, so there's hope, but she was already in a crappy mood from something else that happened today.

So much for my gleeful "good news". D=
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope those bastards get shut down for good. I ordered a Rurouni Kenshin wallscroll from discountanimedvd and never received it. Evil or Very Mad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
In case you really wish to know how sales like this happen, I shall explain. Not every DVD from a production run of anime DVDs sell. Sometimes, in fact often, the company that put out the show ends up with a surplus in a warehouse. This may be due to stores sending them unsold stock or just not having enough orders come in for the product. When a box set collection comes out, as is the case with My-Hime right now, the company will often massively discount the old singles to clear out their warehouse. (Retailers may do this as well of course but big studio sales to clear out back stock like that are pretty common with TRSI.) It's a great way to get a series that either wasn't popular enough in singles or just had large production runs.

It's more than that though. There's clearance prices, and then there's "OMG no one will buy these for years to come let's give them away just to make space" prices. It shows a lot perspective of what kind of tight margins these companies are dealing with.

One thing I never understand though is why so soon before a collection comes out, how often the singles go in the toilet. You would think that if sales were bad enough to warrant preemptive price plunges, that they would at least want to wait for a while since many people who would buy the collection(where the margins would be higher), would instead buy the dirt cheap singles. Confused Doesn't make sense, but it runs almost like clockwork the way you described.

Quote:
Plus, the mention of Japanese companies would indicate that they may be receiving some backing from those companies to aid in protecting their property rights. This is a very encouraging sign of the strength of this R1 company.

Well every time you hear of a cease and desist being served, it is usually FUNimation on the behalf of some Japanese company. It seems they've been earning their trust for years, it would surprise me if they aren't getting backing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kibou1212

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Gah! I was wondering why [This URL is a known Bootlegging website]'s page wasn't loading. I had no idea that it was sued and all that! >< I had just bought a DVD from them in the 12 of October. Grrr... this really pisses me off.... Mad
I can't believe it took them so long to sue them, though. 2 years is a LOOOONG time.
Quote:
FUNimation is also requesting that the defendants "notify all customers who purchased [an infringing] DVD" … "that said DVD is an unlawful copy, and may be returned for a full refund, including shipping" to be paid by the defendants.

My DVD was the Death Note Live action movie, will I get a refund??? Confused Hopefully so... I can't believe I did such a stupid thing. ^^; I had a feeling that something wasn't right with [This URL is a known Bootlegging website], it seemed a bit suspicous. Grrr. hopefully if soemthing like this happens again, they will get shut down more quickly so people don't get ripped off.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
HAH! The GameStops near me are buy 2 get 5 free, and I picked up NGE Platinum 2-7 and Metropolis special edition for $14. Then I finished up NGE through TRSI.

Wow! Where are YOU at?

tempest wrote:
In fact it would be even better. Miya is a manufacturer of bootlegs, where N-Trading et all were just a distributor and retailer of bootlegs (afaik).

Problem is, Miya is based in Taiwan. While current Taiwan law enforces international copyright via TRIPS (as required by their entry into the WTO), it's still a lot harder to sue a foreign corporation.

Also, Miya is mostly just a bootlegger of OSTs. They'd be of more interest to comanies like Avex Mode than Funimation.
-t

Oh yeah, I've had my fair share of MIYA products. Problem was I didn't know that they were MIYA products when I bought them, which pisses me off to no avail. I have three soundtracks from them, and I also had a Hamasaki Ayumi CD from them.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
...pisses me off to no avail.

Since when does getting pissed off avail anything?
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
100th post. Anything that deals with piracy always get attention no matter what. Boy, do we have time or what?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:

tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think my last anime binge was on right stuf and I saved myself $300 in discounts, because they were selling individual dvds for $5 or less.

O_O

...Were they any good? :/

xD YES. I regret not buying Sailor Moon S and the first Tenchi Muyo OVA while they were on sale....because those suckers are hard to find now.

I would say, stick to the Bargain Bin or Weekly Specials, subscribe to their weekly newsletter, and check out the e-mails. They have good discounts.

Dargonxtc wrote:

Of course the question is all a matter of opinion. But stuff like this blows my mind. And when I say blow my mind, I mean I think they are worth more than that.

Hehehe. They are. I Ah....their site is great. <3

Kibou1212 wrote:

My DVD was the Death Note Live action movie, will I get a refund??? Confused Hopefully so... I can't believe I did such a stupid thing. ^^; I had a feeling that something wasn't right with [This URL is a known Bootlegging website], it seemed a bit suspicous. Grrr. hopefully if soemthing like this happens again, they will get shut down more quickly so people don't get ripped off.

You won't know until you try. But that is actually something that Viz would have to take care of. I know they're selling all 3 DN related movies at the mall near my house. they claim it's legal because it's imported. I guess they're legit enough to keep a business...dunno.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
redhandgrunt wrote:

Don't worry they didn't steal fansubbers work. They made their own Translations that would make 4kids cry. Spelled the names wrong, completely wrong translations, untranslated lines, etc.

Would make 4Kids cry, if we're talking about massive swearing. I would agree with you.

Though if we're talking about 4Kids becoming butthurt about raping their work, that's downright impossible. 4Kids wouldn't care, because ViZ dubs Naruto.

HK Fansubs are horrible for more than legal reasons, how can anyone consider that trash?!
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
They waited two years to sue? Seriously?

It's better late than never.Now if they would go after illegal streaming sites and those video sites like veoh and youtube which has dub epsiodes of claymore and those fansubers,then they'll seriously send a message cause fansubs sucks like hell. Also, I'll gladly prefer the 4kids versions over fansubs any day of the week cause some are actually good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
100th post. Anything that deals with piracy always get attention no matter what. Boy, do we have time or what?

Or they should just let piracy run rampant?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well, it doesn't surprise me at all. There are three decent places to buy anime in my town, and two out of three have a fair amount of bootlegs mixed in with the real stuff. "Used DVDs." Seriously, people sold these used to the place, and I can tell they're not genuine. I mentioned this offhand to one of the employees and he said, "I don't know, I just put it on the shelves if it looks like Escaflowne or Saiyuki or whatever."

In their defense, though, both places have anime DVDs coming out the wazoo that they keep having to mark down, so...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10