• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Legend of Sirius

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Fire & Ice! Laughing

Fronzel wrote:
Sounds like a job for live-evil!

Well, there's a rep who visits here from time to time. Wink

Hmm, I'll run it by the guys and see if they're interested Smile

-Tofu
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I found the youtube dub version (because I don't want to pay $100 for a VHS, and I was surprised that Koichi Sugiyama did the music. I'm more than familiar with him through Dragon Quest/Warrior (big fan of that series), and some of the tracks definatly sounded like they were taken off the cutting floor of the DQ games.

Still, it was fun for me until the ending, which confused me and felt a tad rushed. Somehow, the whole thing reminds me of Yosei Florence (aka A Journey Through Fairyland) which I saw on VHS ages ago as a kid (and a few years ago when i just happened to find it lying about the house, but now the VHS is lost agian...)
athlios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Never caught this one on TV, but I do remember at least seeing the second Unico movie. The zombie dolls freaked me out. Even 20 years later, though, I recall the animation as being amazing.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
A typo: "eternam" for "eternal".

Fixed, thanks. Hope you enjoyed the other words. Smile

Well, it's nice to know what the Japanese laserdisc I bought a few years back is about. Smile (I have yet to watch it.)
kuroitenshi13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree about this film getting some love. I grew up on it along with the two dubbed Unico movies and actually own a rental copy of this one. I've tried not to watch it too much, so thankfully when my mother got one of those tape to DVD machines I was all over it so I could at least enjoy it without degrading the tape any longer. Even before I was able to get a copy of the VHS I had remembered nearly the whole thing from memory because of how many times I had made her rent it while I was growing up. Anime hyper;;;; In the top 10 of all time fave animated films. Thanks for bringing it back to the forefront~ It's too bad no one has thought about making an official release because I would so buy it.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Great review for a great movie, from one of the greatest (and, somewhat, one of the most unrecognized, at last in the west) anime director.

About the availability, I wanted to point out that with any chance the Z2 DVD can still be bought, cheap as dirt, from CDjapan. Same for "Yosei Florence".
Vampireseal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes I saw this. Back in 1986 or 87 in school one day (I believe we watched it as part of our Christmas party). Good, good memories. I was a little otaku even then. It was anime like this that hooked me to Japanese animation. Actually, it was Ringing Bell that officially hooked me first (I saw it in 83 or 84), but I always noticed then that Japanese cartoons had better, more realistic (thematically speaking) stories than the American ones. They weren't afraid of death, of the darker aspect of human nature. Yeah. Even the fragment I saw of Warriors of the Wind [better known as Nausicaa] as saw as a wee child before the aforementioned Legend of Sirius and Ringing Bell made me take notice with its serious tone.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The best credit you can come up with for Tohru Furuya is Kyosuke from Kimagure Orange Road? How about Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam, his most iconic role?

Anyway, until now I'd never heard of this feature, though it does seem vaguely familiar, but perhaps only because of its Disneyesque elements. To think that the company that brought us Badtz Maru and Tuxedo Sam also did this is pretty staggering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Good movie. And there is a fansub out there. I've seen both the dub and the fansub. For an older movie, I don't think the dub was all that bad.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This movie looks amazing. I'll have to track down a copy of it and have a watch.
angieness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for covering this! This was one of my favorite movies that really stood out to me as a child, I still have a VHS somewhere I'm sure. I rewatched it recently on youtube and it was still as great as I'd remembered. I just need to find the anime version of the Little Mermaid one of these days since I remember seeing that one too as a kid. I managed to luck out and find another random anime from my childhood called The Enchanted Journey fairly recently for like $1 at Wal Mart and was thrilled. It's fun to look back and realize how much anime I loved when I was little
cosmicsushibar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks for recognizing this fantastic movie! This was one of my favorite movies as a child--I stumbled upon the dubbed VHS of this at a local library when I was around 7 or 8 and would check it out again and again and again. I loved it and watched it over and over because it was so much deeper than any of the other (American) cartoons I had ever seen. The story was mesmerizing and stuck with me all this time. This movie and the Unico movies are the anime that led me to love anime. Thanks again for this great article!
xia83

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Man

Sea Prince, Unico, and Ringing Bell pretty much made up my entire childhood. I'm glad to see one of them getting so recognition and love. Had no idea there were so many like me who had loved the movie as much as I had.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
Thanks for covering this! This was one of my favorite movies that really stood out to me as a child, I still have a VHS somewhere I'm sure. I rewatched it recently on youtube and it was still as great as I'd remembered. I just need to find the anime version of the Little Mermaid one of these days since I remember seeing that one too as a kid.

There's a torrent of the dub somewhere.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
A typo: "eternam" for "eternal".

Fixed, thanks. Hope you enjoyed the other words. Smile

I loved them so much I bought the whole dictionary!

I've been meaning to see this film for years, though I never quite got round to it, as Hata's direction was the really good thing about the disappointing Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (the animation was also pretty, yes, and please try and see the pilot films which are brilliant).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3