• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon dual movies 2011: did Viz remix the titles?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
There were two Pokemon movies in 2011 on the same day: Victini and Reshiram & Victini and Zekrom. In the Japanese title, Reshiram was the "White Hero" (Shiroki Eiyū Reshiram 白き英雄レシラム) while Zekrom was the "Black Hero" (Kuroki Eiyū Zekrom 黒き英雄ゼクロム), yet in the English title Victini and Reshiram was the "Black" one while Victini and Zekrom was the "While" one. I just want to confirm: were those intentional or not?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
The titles are referring to two separate things.

The Japanese release refers to the titular Pokemon (Reshiram being the "White Hero" and Zekrom being the "Black Hero"). For what I feel are obvious reasons, the titles weren't appropriate for the US.

The English release, therefore, refers to the games. Pokemon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom refers to the White game, where Zekrom is the version mascot, and Pokemon the Movie: Black - Victini and Reshiram refers to the Black game, where Reshiram is the version mascot.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The Japanese release refers to the titular Pokemon (Reshiram being the "White Hero" and Zekrom being the "Black Hero"). For what I feel are obvious reasons, the titles weren't appropriate for the US.

Heh, talk about political correctness. Wink

Dessa wrote:
The English release, therefore, refers to the games. Pokemon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom refers to the White game, where Zekrom is the version mascot, and Pokemon the Movie: Black - Victini and Reshiram refers to the Black game, where Reshiram is the version mascot.

Thanks for explaining! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Even without taking the PC-ness into account, I think it makes a bit more sense to match them to their mascot'd game than their color... since it's already confusing enough that the white one's the mascot for black and the black one's the mascot for white ^^;
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Heh, talk about political correctness. Wink

Oh! I was actually scratching me head on what the "obvious reason" was yesterday, now I get it ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1