• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Evangelion Discussion. ( Spoilers, so be warned)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Any future replies will be in bulky paragraphs or a redirect to EvaGeeks (seriously, I would be interested in the reaction there to your review, JO). I haven't had the desire to indulge in HUGE POSTING for a good while now (much less about anything Evangelion). I'm also certain no one really gets much enjoyment out of these small dissections (unless you're a masochist).

pparker wrote:
I don't begin to understand most of what you and Hellkorn both said. Because for one thing, to be blunt, it doesn't lead anywhere, to any result that is applicable in improving conditions of or handling human life and affairs. For that, you need to go outside and do something to help somebody other than yourself. It's again fairly simple. Call me a pragmatist. Reality is quite objective. A table is definitely a table, whether you believe or perceive that it is, or not. Lean over it, and ram your head down onto it. Then look at the bruise on your head and decide for yourself. No one's opinion, from Plato forward, will change one atom in that table, which can be measured by external, physical means. If you still don't agree that a table is there, then that's your problem.

We will learn more and will eventually explain all the phenomena that do exist but are unexplained now. And we will do that not by sitting around discussing theories that only an academic could love, but by going out and confronting and testing the universe in front of us with tools that we develop.

You're taking a bizarrely literalist reaction to all of this. Don't see anyone in this thread (or Anno for that matter) arguing that your house is a hologram or anything like that.

And downplaying philosophical examination and discussion like that isn't helpful, especially when it's of someone from a time period and nation that has had some of the greatest influence on human history in the past two thousand years. We would not be the world we are today without Greek rationalism, period.

(Plus, most of post was rambling about non-philosophical points. Discussion of animation, film, novels, et cetera -- which you yourself are participating in -- isn't tangibly productive, so I suppose it also "doesn't lead anywhere.")

Quote:
JesuOtako's point, one of many that I appreciated, was the observation that this navel-gazing that Anno portrays through two episodes as the grand finale of a remarkable anime is basically just BS, with capitals (whether or not Anno believed it then or believes it now).

See my reply to her below.

Quote:
But to assign some deep, thought-out philo-babble to it frankly makes me think some people don't see the table.

I might very well be wrong, but this sentence seems to indicate that you're not engaging what Zin5ki and I wrote*.

*For my part, it is a brief explanation about the final two episodes. For Zin5ki's part, he basically explains JO's approach and how it is reductive to view any sort of philosophical content in Evangelion in such strict a manner.

Also, I'm not sure why you extended that paragraph to mention the organic writing process that writers have, other than a further interpretation that either of us have proposed that Anno made a SOOOOPER DEEEP narrative or whatever.

Elf474 wrote:
I mean it's not like it's that original.

It's a deconstruction -- of course it's ideas aren't "original." But creativity is derived from how those ideas are said, which is what made Evangelion so influential when it came out.

JesuOtaku wrote:
I suspect this is because they are entirely one-note characters and therefore there's no way to screw them up?

I don't see Fuyutski or Misato as tonally consistent in the way Gendo is.

Quote:
Until you speak Japanese fluently, I don't know that this is valid. How can you tell they're not being underplayed, or horribly stilted like seiyuu are trained to be sometimes, lessening "realism" even more?

Given critiques I've come across by people who do speak Japanese fluently, the really famous cast involved on the Japanese side and my own perception of it being reserved compared to the loudness and overstated nature of Japanese voice acting, I'd confidently say so.

Quote:
If you have to gripe about someone...pick Kaworu. Ugh. That was poor acting.

It all blurs together into such an overwhelming awfulness that it's hard to distinguish specifics! :p

Quote:
I accused Rei of being scarcely sentient (see previous statement) and lacking in personality and development, especially for how much time we spend on her. Now that's definitely true.

Oh, yeah, that's definitely true, though she works more as an archetype than anything "realistic."

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It's very hard to argue that better handling of the budget or a higher budget used sparingly wouldn't have helped. I'm not saying EVA needed to be more flashy, I'm just saying the avant-garde cheats later were not positive ones, or if they were, they still would have been better with consistent quality and acceptable convention.

A lot of the editing, composition and visual rhymes came about as a result of the budget (the show didn't exactly have an overwhelming budget IIRC; Gainax just had some great animators, like Takeshi Honda).

Quote:
Got a reference for this?

Not a quote from Anno, no, though I would think it would be fairly obvious.

Quote:
Directors who create such difference for difference's sake and accuse the audience of being unable to understand...well...to be honest, they hack me off. -.-'

Yeah, though I don't think Anno is doing it for the sake of it (not that you said that).

Quote:
Quality aside, indeed. I don't think it's awesome, but I'm tired of hearing it's bad. People who say this need to see some more really bad movies.

It is sentimental much in the same way American Beauty or Slumdog Millionaire, so... Well, that's for another discussion.

Quote:
It's not a basic truth about life, it's a very popular lie. Goodness knows I spent a good portion of the middle of the video explaining why, the red text vs. white text portion and the Fruits Basket counterargument.

Evangelion, Episode 26 wrote:
KENSUKE:
But there is only one truth for you.
One made from your narrow perception of the world
and from information that was altered to protect yourself,
a warped truth.

TOJI:
Well, one person's perception of the world's bound to be tiny anyway.

HIKARI:
But people only have that tiny ruler to measure their surroundings with.

ASUKA:
And you only try to see things
through the truths that other people have given you.

MISATO:
On sunny days, you feel good.

REI:
On rainy days, you feel down.

ASUKA:
Once you've been taught that,
you make yourself believe that's how you should feel.

RITSUKO:
Even though pleasant things can happen on rainy days too.

The Titanic tragedy resulted in a greater urgency for safety at sea. The American Revolution resulted in Native Americans getting the short end of the stick in a big way.

If France had lost in 1914 to Germany: they would not have suffered as many losses; their economy would have been more stable; the European portion of World War II would not have happened, or at least not in the way it did (and consequently, neither does the Holocaust); Communism may also never have occurred as Lenin and the Bolsheviks rose up in 1917 because of the conditions in Russia as a result of the previous three years; Israel may not come about, thus the tensions are vastly different (though what would become Turkey would resemble something more like Iran); Germany would not only have kept but likely expanded their African colonies, though given that they were more developmentally-minded than the French, this may have left the Africans infrastructure.

Humans cannot quantify every single consequence and all facets of any situation or person, so they define them by their own viewpoints of them -- perspectives that can very well change. (This, in turn, mixes beliefs and truths. People can and will view their own personal religion/political ideology/moral values as true in many cases, certainly.)

You want to know what's particularly bizarre? In the Platinum script, there is not mention of anything like "objective reality" or anything; instead, Anno makes an emphasis on things like "warped truths," "tiny perception/measures," Shinji only perceiving reality as bad, et cetera. Are you referring to the English dub or ADV's old subtitles for your critiques?

Quote:
Like pparker, I'm pragmatic and logical...

For the record, I'm not partial to following a strict ideology, though I frequently identify with stoicism (which would in turn make myself have more in common with you than not, perhaps).

Quote:
I don't know about a nihilistic worldview in anime (that's far too extreme for the mainstream) but Legato is certainly a nihilistic character, so I used him.

You should watch Gilgamesh. I don't really care for the rest of the series, but the ending revels in nihilism so much that it's hilarious.

Quote:
But this should not be glorified as a means to self-redemption and self-discovery. It should not be the focus of the story when the story has a better focus being shelved in its place. In EVA it is, multiple times, and I find it very repulsive. Heck, this is even reflected in Rei in EoE, (while it is arguably taken away from Shinji, or simply subverted, because Anno seems to have sliiiightly changed his mind about his beliefs in EoE. Slightly.)

I still don't see where inactivity is shown as a means of redemption and discovery.

Quote:
It's not about what he knows and doesn't know, it's about what he cares about and does not care about, and he doesn't care about things someone being portrayed as self-redemptive should value, the little twat.

Given that he's ended Instrumentality, I'm not sure why he should care and not just focus on waiting for others to return.

Quote:
Arguable indeed. It's only arguable if you know nothing whatsoever about christianity, which I'm not saying you do, but either way: The christian life is centered around proactivity and personal responsibility.

Strictly speaking, death row converts are in heaven and Gandhi is in hell, and the New Testament is rather straightforward with predestination.

Quote:
Shinji IS inactive and it doesn't redeem him, but it doesn't hurt him either, because his redemption is self-deception. This really can't be argued, just look at the before and after third impact comparison.

Shinji's inactivity does hurt him, though; I'm not sure how you see it otherwise. And him taking the first step to redemption is not the same thing as actually achieving; there is still a possibility of that in both the series and film, but he has not yet reached it.

Quote:
I don't really care how long the 180 took him. It's a really sad and false 180, that's my beef.

I'm not still seeing the 180.

Quote:
Heck, they're still debated on. There are a million reasons why he might do this, and no one is agreed, isn't that right?

The only sensible explanation is that there have weeks or months have passed since he's come back, and he hasn't been in contact with any other human. Everything in the final scene screams this.

Quote:
Yup. I think it's stupid in just about every case. (I like quite a bit of Kubrick, too.) You can say "I hope this means a lot to people in many different circumstances," and ideas can slip into and be gleaned from your work that you didn't anticipate because of its depth and quality, but you should ABSOLUTELY know what you want to convey and what you believe about the story you've told.

I don't see how offering subjective interpretation to your audience means that you yourself don't know what it's about. I thought I gave a link to Kubrick's explanation on 2001 earlier in this thread?

Quote:
Toji's involvement was useless, and he was useless...and why the devil does he have a dream about Shinji on that SAME FRIKKIN' TRAIN?

When I watched it on my second time around, I thought it was because of Rei's presence -- knowing her metaphysical appearances throughout the story -- and Toji having been in contact with both an EVA and an Angel.

Quote:
I understand that, but it's not about her becoming a better person, it's about the previous issues with her character that were earthed and unearthed repeatedly gaining some relevance. Maybe 20% of that was relevant, but it was INTERESTING! Why shelve it for more of bloody Shinji?

I'm not sure what else could be clarified about Asuka, other than her process of gaining the will to live and reform at the end (though there's already enough there, anyway).

Quote:
If your vision of compassion is following the destiny to instigate 3rd impact...while of course releasing Shinji by his own choice, but still...whatever. No thanks. A lot of time wasted getting to very little satisfactory result...

Seele holds all of the cards from the get-go; the only way to defeat them is to start and end Instrumentality. Everyone is released from it; whether they reform (and this includes people who died right before it started, mind you!) is entirely up to them.

Quote:
Okay, but it's another ending. I don't need that. Didn't need it from FMA, and I don't need it from EVA. Again, I said that last section was minor and more subjective, but they are trivialities that do concern me.

I wish that Anno would work on a new project or return to an old to give it justice (say, Nadia or Kare Kano). Still, him creating Rebuild has no impact on the original Evangelion; it would be as ridiculous as someone criticizing Apocalypse Now because Coppola decided that Redux was such a SMART thing to do (ugh).

Quote:
From what I've seen from your response, actually, I don't think it was so much a misinterpretation as a simplification (with no falsifications, though,) that you found appealing and truthful while I found it repulsive and false. Worldview differences.

By your presentation I find the oversimplifcation to be in essence falsification, as well certain interpretations I've outlined above -- though I do wonder if part of this is because of you possibly using an incorrect translation.

Quote:
Tangling yourself in particulars and dropping the big pictures turns you into Robert Bresson, a brilliant theorist who made Pickpocket and thought it was realistic when it was in fact, a pretty photograph of a redonkulous narrative.

Someone has taken film classes! (I don't plan on taking any until maybe my sophmore year... It's gonna be a while.)

Quote:
HK...people that can or want to think like you and I are few and far between and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, but it still doesn't make the comments any less ridiculous.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Much was written in response to Zin5ki before HK's post, so I've reconsidered and tried to be brief Smile

Zin5ki wrote:
pparker wrote:
Reality is quite objective....

Sorry if I'm being a little blunt- I can get worked up about this sort of topic.

Hey, me too. The only reason I sort of let it rip in here and don't overly edit for attitude is because I know this thread can take it. If you're going to discuss Eva, thick skin is a pre-requisite.

And really, I make clear my lack of detailed knowledge of philosophy. No way can I even try to keep up with the others here, because I don't speak the jargon (not that the concepts are difficult). And frankly, though I find it fascinating sometimes, you're right, I consider it a purely academic pursuit (at least in modern times), for which I just don't have the time or inclination. It does provide a language for discussing, in this instance, art and entertainment, and I see the value in that.

HellKorn wrote:
pparker wrote:
I don't begin to understand most of what you and Hellkorn both said...

You're taking a bizarrely literalist reaction to all of this. Don't see anyone in this thread (or Anno for that matter) arguing that your house is a hologram or anything like that.

And downplaying philosophical examination and discussion like that isn't helpful, especially when it's of someone from a time period and nation that has had some of the greatest influence on human history in the past two thousand years. We would not be the world we are today without Greek rationalism, period.

(Plus, most of post was rambling about non-philosophical points. Discussion of animation, film, novels, et cetera -- which you yourself are participating in -- isn't tangibly productive, so I suppose it also "doesn't lead anywhere.")

Yeah, I kind of went off on my own hobby horse there. You hit one of my planned points exactly regarding classical philosophy, where I agree with you, vs. what the subject is today. I've decided to delete most of what I was writing, which was off-topic anyway, but I'll pop in a bit of it:

"The problem with Western philosophy as a subject is that it has become so esoteric and has lost touch with "reality" to such a degree that its usefulness is almost nil now. Until the late 19th century, certainly, it was a vibrant profession and pursuit, providing significant contributions to actual advancement of civilization. Then, from what little I know, it went purely atheist. Doesn't matter what your personal beliefs are, the rejection of "spirituality" or a potential non-physical source and motivation for living things, for lack of better terms, is date coincident with the beginning of the decline of philosophy into an ivory tower academic exercise vs. a popular subject.

From an analytical viewpoint, a significant section of potential knowledge was arbitrarily excluded from the one subject that was supposed to be fundamental to the pursuit of all knowledge. It abandoned its purpose, in other words. My personal viewpoint is, that section was the most important one, and one that ultimately will be validated, but not by anyone in philosophy in its current state because it is now "taboo" and not to be considered seriously. The most likely candidate subject is physics, which will one day have to acknowledge that it has found the limits of physicality, and will turn its attention to the non-physical to maintain progress and interest."

@HK - The reason for my "bizarrely literalist reaction" was that, yes, I perceived what I consider to be reference to the time-wasting argument about whether "reality" is "real". If reality is only subjective, then by simple logic you cannot prove anything in the physical universe objectively. That's a dead end in terms of contributing to advancement of knowledge. Just mental masturbation.

I'm certainly not wanting to suppress discussion. I enjoy and learn from the discussions, even as primarily a spectator in your technical discussions.

I'm not certain what you meant in your last comment, but if my reading of it is correct: My comments in regards to philosophy were not intended, nor should be assumed, to broadly cover anything else in his post.

HellKorn wrote:
Also, I'm not sure why you extended that paragraph to mention the organic writing process that writers have, other than a further interpretation that either of us have proposed that Anno made a SOOOOPER DEEEP narrative or whatever.

Now you have to give me a break. Just the sheer volume of deeply analytical posts in this thread alone--many of them yours--not counting other sites, points to a perception of extreme depth and complexity in Eva. You know you're in deep when references get to multiple ep:min:sec notation.

Maybe I err in extending that to over-estimation of Anno's conscious intentions by you or others. I think Anno is an exceptional talent, but a primarily un-selfconscious one when he wrote Eva (not speaking psychologically of course). He can, or could at the time, intuitively produce works that are intensely thought- and analysis-provoking without consciously designing them to be that way. Maybe he's more intentional about that now, having seen the response to his earlier work. I would venture that he's learned a lot about what he wrote that he "didn't know" when he wrote it Smile

I also speculate that's why he doesn't "explain" Eva. Not because he refuses to, but because little specific explanation existed in the first place besides his own general knowledge, cursory studies in psychology, and his psychological state that filtered the writing. Most of any reasoning he would give now is someone else's interpretation. From what little he has said, there wasn't a lot of conscious deep thought or planning involved on his part. Again, that's speculation partly based on some personal experience.
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would venture that he's learned a lot about what he wrote that he "didn't know" when he wrote it Smile I also speculate that's why he doesn't "explain" Eva. Not because he refuses to, but because little specific explanation existed in the first place besides his own general knowledge, cursory studies in psychology, and his psychological state that filtered the writing. Most of any reasoning he would give now is someone else's interpretation. From what little he has said, there wasn't a lot of conscious deep thought or planning involved on his part. Again, that's speculation partly based on some personal experience.

Possibly. With regards to psychology there's good reason to believe that Anno more or less skimmed through the DSM-IV manual of personality disorders for the basic crafting of his characters.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
With regards to psychology there's good reason to believe that Anno more or less skimmed through the DSM-IV manual of personality disorders for the basic crafting of his characters.

Interesting presentation, and makes sense. But this... this gave me the best laughs I've had in days. Must see.

BTW, none of my comments are meant to devalue Anno's intelligence or talent in any way. NGE is a brilliant job of writing/directing, which is the real reason it never dies. It's simply that I don't know--no one outside the production crew does, if even them--if he really consciously thought of every nuance and callback as he wrote/directed it, or if his innate talent led him to make decisions that in hindsight made the final whole that much richer. Considering the restrictions and the process of writing and directing an ongoing TV series, it's hard for me to imagine that he foresaw precisely the significance and interpretation of every frame in the early episodes, and how those would be called back and tied in later. Obviously more likely the ending episodes were tailored to "match" the beginning ones, but even that is quite a feat in this work. But that doesn't mean he didn't know either.

And yes, I'm sure he did get those character types from his psychology studies. But knowing the description of a personality type vs. creating a fascinating, original and realistic character that embodies that type, and then interacts for several hours on screen with other equally fascinating characters, is a level of talent quite rare. That's before considering "the rest of the story..."
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
You hit one of my planned points exactly regarding classical philosophy, where I agree with you, vs. what the subject is today. I've decided to delete most of what I was writing, which was off-topic anyway, but I'll pop in a bit of it:

"The problem with Western philosophy as a subject is that it has become so esoteric and has lost touch with "reality" to such a degree that its usefulness is almost nil now. Until the late 19th century, certainly, it was a vibrant profession and pursuit, providing significant contributions to actual advancement of civilization. Then, from what little I know, it went purely atheist. Doesn't matter what your personal beliefs are, the rejection of "spirituality" or a potential non-physical source and motivation for living things, for lack of better terms, is date coincident with the beginning of the decline of philosophy into an ivory tower academic exercise vs. a popular subject.

From an analytical viewpoint, a significant section of potential knowledge was arbitrarily excluded from the one subject that was supposed to be fundamental to the pursuit of all knowledge. It abandoned its purpose, in other words. My personal viewpoint is, that section was the most important one, and one that ultimately will be validated, but not by anyone in philosophy in its current state because it is now "taboo" and not to be considered seriously. The most likely candidate subject is physics, which will one day have to acknowledge that it has found the limits of physicality, and will turn its attention to the non-physical to maintain progress and interest."

@HK - The reason for my "bizarrely literalist reaction" was that, yes, I perceived what I consider to be reference to the time-wasting argument about whether "reality" is "real". If reality is only subjective, then by simple logic you cannot prove anything in the physical universe objectively. That's a dead end in terms of contributing to advancement of knowledge. Just mental masturbation.

I agree that there is a lot of circle-jerks out there, and I have don't have the same sort of admiration for them as I do with Marcus Aurelius. But I don't see a materialistic rejection of metaphysics as a negative. I mean, alright, the only thing I know with 100% certainty is that I exist -- but to get stuck on that point just induces useless paranioa. Yet, while there is a lot of clinical first-world paranoia* in "recent" philosophy, there is value is recognizing the assumptions human beings make on purportedly objective truths: the fluid nature of language, differing cultural values and historical perspectives, a greater emphasis on humanity's inability to comprehend so many things (which is something that goes as far back as any philosophy or religion), and criticizing various assumptions inserted in previous logical, philosophical frameworks. Though I suppose I would agree with the nihilists arguing that there is no intrinsic purpose -- at least, I would say that to believe there is with the knowledge we have now is a wishful assumption at best -- the idea that self-imposed meaning has no place in our lives is something I cannot abide by.

*There is a very interesting remark by yoshitoshi ABe in his interview for Haibane Renmei -- it's an extra on the fourth DVD volume, if you haven't seen it. I don't remember his specific wording, but it was something like how so many humans have grown beyond a simple matter of survival in their day-to-day life in modern, industrialized countries like Japan. When this happens, and we achieve something like that with relative ease (or are even born into it), our sense of direction and purpose becomes more internalized. That philosophy of the past few centuries has been more focused on relativism and a lack of overt meaning is not surprising when you have even more time on your hands to think, think, think, think and think. (Which is interesting when you contrast the kind of settings for Haibane and Texhnolyze, where the path of redemption in the former is more internalized, while in the latter it's an interesting mixture of internal and externals factors.)

Quote:
Now you have to give me a break. Just the sheer volume of deeply analytical posts in this thread alone--many of them yours--not counting other sites, points to a perception of extreme depth and complexity in Eva.

I think a lot of the stuff we argue in terms of philosophical value is incidental -- Evangelion touches on them just enough to spark any sort of related discussion to them. (Which doesn't make that aspect of Evangelion deep or complex; references to real-world ideas doesn't mean that the piece of art in question is actually saying anything about it; I tend to divide types like Evangelion and Paranoia Agent, which work on a more visceral and psychological level, and works like Mononoke and Texhnolyze, which aspire to more emotionally and philosophically nuanced ideas.)

Quote:
Maybe I err in extending that to over-estimation of Anno's conscious intentions by you or others. I think Anno is an exceptional talent, but a primarily un-selfconscious one when he wrote Eva (not speaking psychologically of course). He can, or could at the time, intuitively produce works that are intensely thought- and analysis-provoking without consciously designing them to be that way. Maybe he's more intentional about that now, having seen the response to his earlier work.

Anno's approach is definitely an organic one. The premise of Eva's message is clear as day in the early episodes. Anno simply adds on a lot more themes as the series goes on; a lot of them work, some don't, though it's all admirable.

I definitely agree that some of the details of Eva were not worked out when Anno made them -- just what the fudge is going on with Seele and the Evas when they're initiating Third Impact? -- yet I think another part is that Anno probably doesn't like the idea of being constantly hounded by fans who want to know every nook and cranny of the story.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I tend to divide types like Evangelion and Paranoia Agent, which work on a more visceral and psychological level, and works like Mononoke and Texhnolyze, which aspire to more emotionally and philosophically nuanced ideas.

Quite. I'd happily place Pale Cocoon in the latter category- a film in which not a scene goes by without nuance, and one in which an interesting hypothesis is put forward by the story's underlying premise. Alas, my psychological state wasn't affected very much by it- no real emotional pinnacle was reached.
Eva, in contrast, provided visceral content in spades, its ability to be intellectually communicative perhaps being compromised in the process. (Not that I wish to say that, in general, the one sort of appeal implies a lack of the other or vice versa though; I'm sure plenty of titles combine the two. Haibane Renmei being a possible candidate.)

Quote:
But I don't see a materialistic rejection of metaphysics as a negative.

I assume you say this in answer to pparker's disapprovals. If so, I understand your context of the word 'metaphysics'. If not, some further discussion may be needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
(Not that I wish to say that, in general, the one sort of appeal implies a lack of the other or vice versa though; I'm sure plenty of titles combine the two. Haibane Renmei being a possible candidate.)

For anime, in addition to Haibane Renmei, Wolf's Rain, Texhnolyze and Shigurui combine the two aesthetics quite well. Certain episodes of Mushi-shi and Mononoke (as well as the final episode of the Goblin Cat arc of Ayakashi) also work in the same way, as well as the climaxes to Lain and Pale Cocoon.

Quote:
I assume you say this in answer to pparker's disapprovals. If so, I understand your context of the word 'metaphysics'.

Yep, exactly.

And with that, I'll end my digression and let the thread get back on-topic.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
And with that, I'll end my digression and let the thread get back on-topic.

Oh well, having written this, I'll make the thread suffer it yet... and then I, too, am done with it Wink

HellKorn wrote:
pparker wrote:
You hit one of my planned points exactly regarding classical philosophy...

I agree that there is a lot of circle-jerks out there, and I have don't have the same sort of admiration for them as I do with Marcus Aurelius. But I don't see a materialistic rejection of metaphysics as a negative. I mean, alright, the only thing I know with 100% certainty is that I exist -- but to get stuck on that point just induces useless paranioa.

Frankly, you lost me at paranoia. I don't get the context, or technical meaning you may be using of the word here. To jump to the ABe reference, though, I re-listened to the interview. His and ueda's comments were referencing themselves, where "life is very easy for us, and we are spoiled... we live in a very safe environment... there is no risk related to your survival", in reference to creating negative or harsh environments in their works as a balance to their own lives. You may have dubbed in the other thoughts from somewhere else. Regardless, I totally agree. The time to think is enabled by society's economic surplus. The U.S. is now a majority white-collar society that faces very few threats to actual survival (generalizing for sake of brevity here). That allows for thousands of academics to ponder life's mysteries.

My beef with them is that they just ponder. Okay... what you said, those are worthwhile things to think about. But then where is the result of the thinking? You mentioned "a greater emphasis on humanity's inability to comprehend so many things". Okay, fine. Admirable problem to address. But what is being done on an active basis to truly solve that problem? You can't solve it by just thinking about it, because you never know if what you thought is of any value until you compare it to the real universe (including life). You need to observe, theorize and then test, and do it again and again until you've eliminated all the annoying exceptions and nailed the actual cause, and then repeat that process all over again to find a workable solution. The part I protest is writing hundreds of pounds of commentary on something without ever going outside and rolling up your sleeves and actually *working* at developing a solution that helps someone. Look at what physical science has accomplished in 100 years. That process works, the good ole scientific method.

There are two possibilities here:

a.) The physical stuff is truly that much easier to solve.
b.) Somebody isn't actually trying very hard to solve the "soft" stuff.

The social statistics in the U.S. have almost consistently fell, not risen, concurrent with the hard sciences going from the Wright Brothers to the Moon, and just incidentally making it technically possible for every human on the planet to communicate directly to every other one in real time, and do it cheaply. Virtually all our "advances" have been made on the back of hard science progress, and very little from social "science". For all the money that's been spent supporting these thinkers, why have things they claim authority for gotten worse, or at least not gotten better?

HellKorn wrote:
the idea that self-imposed meaning has no place in our lives is something I cannot abide by.

If I understand correctly, you are making an invalid assumption that a belief in metaphysics, or a non-physical existence of and cause for life, implies lack of self-determinism. The two are not mutually exclusive. And now I quote ABe again from the same interview: "[Haibane Renmei] probably reflects my ideas about an entity called god and something called life." Here is a creator extraordinaire, who seems to me to be making all his own choices and determining his fate, yet still recognizes the possibility that there are, or can be, non-physical agents supporting and creating life.

HellKorn wrote:
Though I suppose I would agree with the nihilists arguing that there is no intrinsic purpose--

Oddly enough, I agree. Purpose has to be decided upon and then actively pursued, because there truly isn't any purpose "built-in" to life in this universe. Which is another excellent pointer to life being more than physical. But that's another day and thread...

HellKorn wrote:
Anno's approach is definitely an organic one... I definitely agree that some of the details of Eva were not worked out when Anno made them -- just what the fudge is going on with Seele and the Evas when they're initiating Third Impact? -- yet I think another part is that Anno probably doesn't like the idea of being constantly hounded by fans who want to know every nook and cranny of the story.

Ironically, I give you ABe again from the same interview: "I wanted to do a story with no prior conceptual planning... I wrote as if I had become an automatic writing machine." He said it so much better than I did. I love that interview with ABe because he is so willing to share his ideas and thought processes. Ridley Scott is the king of that, by the way, if you get a chance to listen to his Alien and Blade Runner commentaries, for instance. I agree about Anno, though. The few comments I've heard indicate he's just kind of sick of the speculation and has no time for it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Just a few clarifications, I suppose.

pparker wrote:
Frankly, you lost me at paranoia. I don't get the context, or technical meaning you may be using of the word here.

I mean that these people feel that there life is absolved of meaning and direction when they're placed in a situation that can lead them to the kind of thinking that "there is no certainty other than I exist." They become frightened that there's nothing of value in emotions and thoughts because of the lack of impermanence.

Quote:
To jump to the ABe reference, though, I re-listened to the interview... You may have dubbed in the other thoughts from somewhere else.

Yeah, I was basically using that interview as a springboard to the more internalized philosophy.

Quote:
There are two possibilities here:

a.) The physical stuff is truly that much easier to solve.
b.) Somebody isn't actually trying very hard to solve the "soft" stuff.

I see it as both, really. This is a subject far more complex than the scope of this thread, but... Discovery and invention allowing us to streamline different aspects of our lives has a different effect than changing perceptions and our own nature -- something far more stagnant. (Say, although we have made social progress in the past one hundred years, we're more or less the same in other areas. Despite the failings of the two economic systems, you still have leftists attracted to communism and rightists to neo-liberalism.) Social movements come about as a larger, more nuanced ideal that is acted upon by those who don't necessarily grasp every aspect of it. Thus, when societal problems are not addressed it's a result of a disconnect of the exchange of information between those who devote themselves to understanding the problem(s) and those living in the problem(s). And it can be difficult to engage those who aren't truly affected by these problems and are also unaware of them; people prefer stability/the status quo if the an issue doesn't involve them and they don't have a thorough grasp of it. Compare this with scientific innovation, coming as a result of a more narrow group (though our ambitions in space certainly have dovetailed over the past half-century...).

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you are making an invalid assumption that a belief in metaphysics, or a non-physical existence of and cause for life, implies lack of self-determinism. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Actually I was just replying to a prevailing thought in nihilism; certainly there are far too many schools of thought out there that allow both subjective meaning and metaphysics.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, that wraps it up for me. Sorry to have pushed that detour so far. Anyway, now I'm just anxious to see what happens in Rebuild 2.0--to see if it is my fears, or my hopes, that have been realized. I have strenuously avoided spoilers until I can see it in good quality as a double feature with a re-watch of 1.0, or 1.1... or is that 1.11. Smile
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't posted here for ages, as I've been trying to concentrate on a little thing called "life", but...

I picked up the vanilla DVD of Rebuild 1.0 last night, and noticed something missing. I could swear that at the end of the film, in the cinema version, I heard Shinji say "tsuzuku" (to be continued), because I remember thinking how cool it was that he said it. However, this is missing from the DVD version. Did I just imagine it, or what?
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I think that Evangelion 1.0 is superior to episodes 1-6 of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series, and not only in terms of the quality of the artwork.

I keep hearing people whine about how they didn't change enough, but I thought they changed exactly what they needed to. For starters, the scene that spoiler[replaced episode 4] was absolutely beautiful, and helped the story flow much better as a film. Also, the way they spoiler[cut the bit with Unit 01 protecting Shinji] was a good choice, as it spoiler[gave the later revelations about the nature of Unit 01 far more impact]. Basically, throughout the film they made the small changes that were necessary to give the story a sense of fluidity that was largely absent in the original.

Also, if you're an Eva fan who doesn't understand Japanese, this is an absolute must-watch. The new dub is by far the best localization that Evangelion has gotten, subbed or dubbed. The new script feels infinitely more natural than anything that fansubbers could come up with. The voice acting is also much better, and Spike Spencer has no problems staying in character this time around. In this sense, 1.0 is more valuable as a remake for English-speakers than the Japanese. All the normal woes of translation are gone, and we finally have a truly worthy version of Evangelion.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I think the nature of the Evangelions are somewhat different in Rebuild continuity, actually. Due to Eva Unit 01 not protecting Shinji, spoiler[Yui Ikari is not in the house. ] Further proof can be found in 2.0.

While I would agree that parts of the narrative flow better, such as when Shinji runs away, I find that the direction isn't as creative as in the series, and seems mostly paint-by-numbers. For instance, instead of the results of the fight with Sachiel being shown in a flashback later on, the fight is shown all the way through from where the second episode cut away to the aftermath.

I also disliked that they cut the scene wherein Shinji sees Unit 01's eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The movie was a resume of the episodes but with better art, of course. Evangelion was great and attracked a lot of fans and haters and other than that crappy ending I'd say there's nothing else to be changed.
But if by just doing the remake without modifying the plot is already attracting whiners I can't even think of what's gonna happen if they modify the plot. The world is gonna end, most likely.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the film for the fact that it "trimmed the fat", so to speak. Eva got liposuction and it's looking sleek and slim, without as much bagage. I'm looking forward to the second film. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23