• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mr. Convenience GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. With each other!!! I'm sorry,but I'd sooner have my face burned off with an acetylene torch than read this. I hope all the yaoi fans forgive me but this ain't my thing. My taste in romance drifts toward the traditional,you know boy-girl romance. I find nothing romantic about seeing one guy fall in love with another guy. Nor do I find one girl falling in love with another girl romantic either. That isn't my thing.
It looks like I'm going to be staying far,far,far away from "Mr. Convenience" because this isn't the manga for me.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
If it isn't your thing then why bother posting?

Don't start up a thread just as an oppurtunity to say how much you don't agree with homosexuality. Especially if you're gonna sound a tad hateful about it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Yeah. With each other!!! I'm sorry,but I'd sooner have my face burned off with an acetylene torch than read this. I hope all the yaoi fans forgive me but this ain't my thing. My taste in romance drifts toward the traditional,you know boy-girl romance. I find nothing romantic about seeing one guy fall in love with another guy. Nor do I find one girl falling in love with another girl romantic either. That isn't my thing.
It looks like I'm going to be staying far,far,far away from "Mr. Convenience" because this isn't the manga for me.

Nobody cares. Don't post things like this. If I see it again I'm going to ban you.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the picture used for the view, I personally can not see the heroes being "bit too young". But maybe there are other characters which are too young? Though if younger fellow of two depicted is the one who prostitutes, then I agree. While I understand that if this jobs is completely voluntary then there is nothing wrong in it, in such case for many this manga may not look convenient to read, indeed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Here's my response to Zac. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I was just saying that this stuff wasn't my thing. Maybe I could have phrased in a different way but once more,I meant no disrespect and I'm sorry that it was taken as such. Again,I was expressing my opinion and I could have chosen my words a lot better. Again,I hope you forgive me. My words were rash and could have been chosen better.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I've read this book, and while I thought the stories were just Ok, I really can't get into Nase Yamato's art style. It's not that the guys look too young, it's that they look too feminine. The salaryman on the cover looks like a pretty teenage girl with short hair. He's supposed to be a grown man in his 20's right? It just kept pulling me out of the story. I suppose the art style would be a better fit with schoolboy stories, but man am I ever tired of those.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I was just saying that this stuff wasn't my thing.
I should go through the forum and post the equivalent of, "Bleggghh!" in the thread for every single title I don't like for some random reason. Boy, my post count would double overnight.

PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
I've read this book, and while I thought the stories were just Ok, I really can't get into Nase Yamato's art style. It's not that the guys look too young, it's that they look too feminine. The salaryman on the cover looks like a pretty teenage girl with short hair. He's supposed to be a grown man in his 20's right? It just kept pulling me out of the story. I suppose the art style would be a better fit with schoolboy stories, but man am I ever tired of those.
Hmmm. Yeah, the story is fair, nothing mind-blowing. I guess for me Yamato Nase is one of those mangaka whose books I just buy because of the name, meaning I'm generally not disappointed in her titles. Jeez, I'm sort of damning it with faint praise, aren't I? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

Hmm, I see what you mean. What I was getting at by "too young" was that the semes have pubic hair and the ukes do not, generally speaking. I wasn't sure how okay that would be for a review read by many, so I just erred on the side of caution. (Yeah, I know, probably not my wisest moment...) I was thinking of some of the legal issues around sexually explicit manga when I made that assessment as well, although probably the slight prostitution overtones in the second story is more of an issue there.

But yes, too feminine is definitely also an issue.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
I agree that her ukes can look too feminine. She's definitely not the only yaoi mangaka with this problem though. It seems to be a genre thing. She can at least draw fairly well proportioned bodies, unlike a lot of yaoi
mangaka.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yamato sensei's art has come a long way though. With her older stories, pretty much all the characters looked too feminine or too young. I'm glad her men are looking like men now. Anime hyper

Don't get me wrong-- I'm a fan and am just saying she's improved. =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1