• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Auld Lang Syne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
The Internet has made people dumb, plain and simple.

The internet?

Yes, the Internet. Look at all of us. We're posting behind handles and assumed names. It's a form of anonymity that allows people to vent out views that normally would have far reaching consequences in real life.

Example: IRL, you can't say racist things lest you risk suffering bodily injury a/or legal action; on the Internet, you can pretty much call other people all sorts of autocratic slurs that haven't been used since Victorian Times. Of course, some people aren't THAT subtle about it.....*coughFacebookTwittercough*
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I would say that the internet hasn't really made people dumb, it's simply given them a way to show millions of people how dumb they are. If the internet didn't exist, they'd still be dumb, there'd just be a far fewer people who would realize it.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Man, freedom of speech is such a drag, isn't it?
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Not the freedom of speech, but the freedom from all consequences. People who are so nasty in the Net in real world usually seem so small when it comes to real life confrontation that I don't know if I should hate or pity them.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I would say that the internet hasn't really made people dumb, it's simply given them a way to show millions of people how dumb they are. If the internet didn't exist, they'd still be dumb, there'd just be a far fewer people who would realize it.

+10
QFT
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
And isn't the world a better place for knowing them? Rolling Eyes
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, well, it all depends on what's meant by "dumb". Is utilizing one's Freedom of Speech to state an opinion that isn't shackled by political correctness--but that opinion is expressed coherently, intelligently, and supported by data and logic-- being "dumb"?

Plus, there are consequences; on many web forums, if you call shounenai_fangirl108 a !@#$%, chances are you're going to be warned if you haven't made a similar offense before. You do it again, you're banned.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
You call a ban a consequence? Few keys pressed and you come back with different identity.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Though we (anime fans) are a fairly tech-savvy group, not many of these kids, especially those immature enough to be perma-banned, know how to use proxies.

So, once that IP is banned, you'd better have another Internet-ready machine to run to.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid that maturity of the opinions have nothing to do with being tech-savvy. I've seen too many cases when one troll was replaced by another with very familiar way of writing.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
LordByronius wrote:
oh, stop with the dramaticism. nobody said that, and nobody's stupid enough TO say that.

Do you even know what stuff i'm referring too by chance before you commented? Humor me. Please.

Paradise Kiss is an entertaining show and nobody's going to chase you around with pitchforks and torches for enjoying it, stereotypes be damned.

like i said, the stereotypes might be "offensive" in the sense that they're just caricatures, but the nature of the show itself is not meant to plumb the depths of our consciousness and reflect the actual human condition. this isn't William Friedkin's "Cruising."

my point is to not be so defensive about it. because nobody with a brain who is worth talking to is going to give you guff for enjoying an enjoyable show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Though we (anime fans) are a fairly tech-savvy group, not many of these kids, especially those immature enough to be perma-banned, know how to use proxies.

I suppose not many of those kids have laptops and like McDonalds either [/sarcasm]
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
So, once that IP is banned, you'd better have another Internet-ready machine to run to.

dtm42, obviously that includes utilizing Wi-Fi mobile technology such as IPads, laptops, IPhones, etc. I hope, for your own sake, that you were cherry picking just to find something to comment on, and that what I just stated was apparent to you.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Yes, the Internet. Look at all of us. We're posting behind handles and assumed names. It's a form of anonymity that allows people to vent out views that normally would have far reaching consequences in real life.

Example: IRL, you can't say racist things lest you risk suffering bodily injury a/or legal action; on the Internet, you can pretty much call other people all sorts of autocratic slurs that haven't been used since Victorian Times. Of course, some people aren't THAT subtle about it.....*coughFacebookTwittercough*

Maybe it lets them vent, but it'd not as if it turns them into that. Those people would have always been like that. That's just culture. For example, almost everyone I've met from the Japanese internet (you know, internet websites.. not to imply they have their own seperate internet or anything like that) and they're nothing like the average American website community. They're a lot more mature and insightful. It's kind of amazing, really, especially with things like attitudes towards piracy and stuff. (Unfortunately, being an American on there isn't that great.. not that I can blame them.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
dtm42, obviously that includes utilizing Wi-Fi mobile technology such as IPads, laptops, IPhones, etc. I hope, for your own sake, that you were cherry picking just to find something to comment on, and that what I just stated was apparent to you.

*shakes head sadly*

You ignored my point. But that's just expected behaviour from someone such as yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6